Chapter 35

Loving You Forever

"Lam Sir," Ben greeted coolly as he stood up.  "I didn't expect to see you here.  Surely a low ranking officer like yourself couldn't have possibly gotten an invitation to such a grand affair."

Raymond smiled and like two predators they faced each other.  "As a matter of fact I did get an invitation."  He looked down at the invitation in his hand and added with triumph, "And we're sitting at the same table."

Charmaine groaned inwardly.  This can't be happening.  It can't!  With Raymond sitting at the same table, she won't be able to act normal.

"Really small world," Ben muttered and sat back down.  He saw Charmaine's pale face and leaned towards her, "Are you alright?" he whispered into her ear.

"Yes," she said softly.  "I'm fine."  Seeing the uncertainty on Ben's face, she reassured him, "Really I'm fine."

Ben cover her hand with his, "Let me know immediately when you want to leave.  I only have to stay for a little while."

"Don't worry about me," Charmaine said.  "You do what you have to."

Sitting rigidly across from them and having to witness their obvious display of affection irritated Raymond.  He clenched his fist on his lap and stared coldly at the couple.

Beside Raymond, Mandy whispered, "Raymond, are you alright?"

"Yes," he seethed.  "Why wouldn't I be?"

"There you are Ben!" Wayne's voice boomed from a few feet away.  "I've been looking for you."

"Wayne!" Ben stood up and clasped Wayne's hand in a firm handshake.  "Good to see you again."

Wayne turned his attention to Charmaine and smiled with pleasure, "You must be Mrs. Wong."  Taking Charmaine's hand he dropped a perfunctory kiss on her knuckle.  "Ben speaks very highly of you and I can see why."

Charmaine flushed at his outspoken flattery and replied softly.  "Nice to meet you Mr. uh Mr…."

"Charmaine, this is Wayne Lai.  He's a business man from Thailand," Ben introduced belatedly.  "And Wayne, as you guessed already, this is my lovely wife Charmaine."

"Nice to meet you," Charmaine said demurely.

After giving Charmaine another friendly smile, Wayne turned his attention back to Ben and said, "Ben, there is someone I like you to meet.  Can you come with me?"

Ben touched Charmaine's shoulder tenderly and said, "I'll only be gone for a minute."  He then leaned over and brushed his lips across hers.  "Wait for me here."

Charmaine nodded and watched with nervous tension as Ben and Wayne walked away leaving her alone to face Raymond.  However, Raymond got up himself and made some excuse to Mandy about needing the men's room.  Without a glance at her, he left.

"How are you?" Mandy asked awkwardly.

"I'm well.  You?" Charmaine asked in return.

----------------------------------------------

Raymond followed Ben and Wayne up the grand stairs and down a hallway.  They were talking in low voices but they didn't seem to be aware of his presence, yet.  He continued to follow them around a corner and down another hallway.  When he rounded the next corner they were nowhere to be seen.  Searching up and down the hallway Raymond scanned it with confusion.  There was not a single door in sight for them to vanish into.  Where could they have gone?  With no choice, he returned to his table.

----------------------------------------------

Charmaine stood by the entrance to the ballroom, her eyes searching for a sign of Ben.  He has been gone for over fifteen minutes and not a sign of him anywhere.  Back at the table Raymond had been eyeing her coldly and unable to bear it anymore, Charmaine excused herself and decided to wait for Ben's return by the door.

"Bored already?" Raymond asked suddenly from beside her.

Startled by his appearance, Charmaine took a step back to distance herself from him.  "I-I'm looking for Ben.  Have you seen him?"

"I'm actually looking for him myself," Raymond said bitterly.  He still can't figure out where they disappeared to.  It was odd and he didn't like things that didn't make sense.

"Why are you looking for him?" Charmaine asked curiously.

Raymond snickered, "Because your husband engages in illegal activities and as a cop, it is my duty to catch him in the act and arrest him."

"Why are you doing this?" Charmaine asked softly.  "I'm to blame for everything.  I know I shouldn't have left you the way I did and I'm truly sorry for it.  But please this has nothing to do with Ben."

"You really don't know your husband at all," Raymond said quietly.

"I know that he loves me and will do anything to make me happy," Charmaine said defensively.

Before Raymond could stop himself he asked quietly, "What about me?  I loved you and would have done anything to make you happy."

Charmaine couldn't find any words to respond.  Looking helplessly at him, she said gently, "Raymond, we're over with.  It's best if we don't rehash the past.  It's too painful."

"For who?" Raymond retorted resentfully.  "You?  You're positively glowing in your expensive designer dress Mrs. Wong!"

"I can't do this," Charmaine said softly on the verge of tears.  It was one thing knowing that he hated her but enduring it was something she can't handle without breaking down.  She turned to leave but Raymond reached out and grabbed her arm.

Forcing her to look at him, Raymond asked, "Do you really love Ben Wong?"

Charmaine wanted to scream, No! It's you I love, but she didn't.  "Yes," she answered, mustering as much emotion into her answer as she can.  "Now, if you'll excuse me.  I have to search for my husband."

Ben watched as Charmaine walked away from Raymond.  He was reeling with jealousy and infuriated that the first chance she gets, she and Raymond Lam are together.  He would have to teach her a lesson about what it means to be a faithful wife.

-----------------------------------------------

Ben and Charmaine walked up the stairs together.  Outside of Charmaine's bedroom he opened the door for her and said tenderly, "It's late and we had an exhausting night.  Shower and go to bed."

Charmaine nodded sleepily.  "Goodnight Ben."  She closed the door.  Insider her room she turned the water on while she undressed.  She stood under the hot water, letting the steamy spikes massage the tense muscles in her back.  When she felt more relax and unable to stay awake any longer, she turned the water off and got out.  Pulling on a robe she left the adjourning bathroom and slipped into her nightgown.  Just as she turned the covers back to slip into bed she saw her door opening.  It was Ben.  Quickly pulling on a robe to cover herself she asked faintly, "Ben, what brings you here?"

Ben proceeded towards her until he was standing directly in front of her.  "I came to say goodnight," he said huskily.

Charmaine could smell the alcohol in his breath and her heart raced with alarm.  Taking an involuntary step back, she said weakly, "G-Goodnight."

Ben remained rooted in place letting his eyes wander leisurely down the length of her and stopping again on her face.  All of a sudden he drew his hand back and slapped her across the face causing Charmaine to fall back against the bed.  He immediately fell on top of her, capturing her wrists and holding them together high above her head.  "You are mine!  Hear me!  No one touches you except for me!  It's time you get that through your head!"

Charmaine's eyes widened in terror as she felt the hardness of his body pressing into hers.  "No," she choked, "Stop!"  She could feel Ben's hand everywhere on her and the urge to vomit filled her.  When she felt Ben's mouth on hers she gagged.

Ben lifted his head to look at her, his eyes gleaming with hot desire.  Transferring both her wrists in one of his hand, he used the other to rip her nightgown completely off her.  "After tonight, you'll remember that I'm your husband and not Raymond Lam!"