Chapter 34

Loving You Forever

Charmaine smoothed the foundation on her cheek and tilted her face up to the light for a closer examination.  A tinge of purplish blue still show through the beige powder.  It was the best she could do without making it too conspicuous.  Since that awful night, Ben had returned to his normal self.  Always polite, courteous and going out of his way to make sure she was happy and above all, that she doesn't have any reason to ever think about leaving again.  When he announced last night that he would like her to accompany him to the cancer foundation charity ball she had refused.  Although she was no longer upset with him for what happened that night, her face still bore the mark of his anger.  Rather than raise any questions at the event, Charmaine explained softly why it would be better if she did not attend at all.  However, Ben was not thwarted by that little mark.  He persuaded her to go and even spent a small fortune to have a sales clerk from an expensive boutique come to the house the next day with the latest fashion gowns for her to try on.

Standing back in front of the full length mirror, Charmaine almost didn't recognize herself.  Ben had chosen an ivory silk gown that had a small tie on one shoulder leaving the other bare.  It draped in soft folds down to her ankles.  The dress itself had no shape to it letting her own body's curves shape it instead.  The effect was stunning.  Two carats diamond stud earrings was the only accessory Charmaine used, which Ben had presented to her earlier in the day.  She did nothing to her hair, letting it fall in natural soft waves down her back.  A knock sounded on her door and she turned to it just as it opened.

Ben froze at the door staring at the lovely vision before him.  "Wow.  You look beautiful," he murmured softly, his eyes going over her with admiration.

Charmaine blushed at his compliment and lowered her head shyly.  "Thank you."

Keeping his eyes on Charmaine, Ben advanced towards her and held his hand out.  "Everyone female tonight will be jealous and so will the men."

Puzzled by his comment, Charmaine asked, "Why the men?"

Ben bowed and planted a chivalry kiss on her hand.  "Because you'll be with me and not them."

The flattery made Charmaine blush redder.  "Thank you," she said softly.

Ben crooked his elbow at her and asked, "Are you ready Mrs. Wong?"

Linking her arm through his, Charmaine nodded her head.

-------------------------------------------------

Gigi inserted the final floret into Mandy's hair and stood back to appraise her.  "You look beautiful Mandy!" she said excitedly.

Mandy stood up and faced the mirror.  Her hair was curled and held together at the crown of her head creating a cascade of curls which framed her delicate face.  Gigi had applied light make-up on her and it made her big eyes appeared even bigger than usual.  A stark red lipstick finished the look.  "Do you think it's too much?" Mandy asked wondering if she should remove the bold red color from her lips.

"Of course not," Gigi replied instantly.  "You're going to a ball and you have to look your best.  I bet all the other women there would look even more extravagant."

"I don't know."  Mandy studied her appearance through the mirror and a frown marred her face.

Seeing the frown, Gigi asked, "What's wrong?"

"I don't think Raymond would approve of this look," Mandy said uneasily.

Gigi turned Mandy around to face her.  With eyes b with excitement and anticipation, Gigi said, "Of course he will!  You look beautiful!"

"Still…" Mandy turned back to her reflection.  She brought her hand to touch the crown of curls on top of her head and uttered, "I think I overdid myself.  I don't want to embarrass Raymond."

"Are you ready?" Raymond called in from the other side of the door.

Gigi smiled and patted Mandy on the shoulder.  "You look beautiful," she said again and opened the door for Raymond.

Raymond was dressed in an impeccable tuxedo that fitted his physique perfectly.  His hair was slicked back and he had shaved.  He looked handsome and soave and Mandy can't seem to stop staring at him.  Noting her stare, Raymond unconsciously touched his face, "Do I look funny or something?"

Gigi chuckled and walked towards her son.  "Very handsome as usual," she said and pulled him into the room.  "How does Mandy look?"

Sweeping his eyes from Mandy's head to her feet, Raymond said softly, "Beautiful as always."  And he meant it.  He had always thought Mandy beautiful, inside and out.  Unlike a certain someone who only possessed outer beauty and was cold and selfish inside.  Raymond silently cursed himself for thinking about Charmaine again.

"Thank you," Mandy said.

Pushing all thoughts of Charmaine aside, Raymond held his hand out to Mandy and asked, "Are you ready to go?"

"Yes she is," Gigi answered for her and propelled Mandy in Raymond's direction.  They turned to leave and were almost at the front door when Gigi called out for them to stop.  She ran quickly out of her room with a camera in her hand.  "Its rare to see the both of you dressed up so nice.  I want to take a picture for memories."

Liking the suggestion since it made his mom happy, Raymond looked at Mandy, "How about it?"

"Sure," Mandy said and was taken aback when Raymond slid his arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him.  She leaned her head on his shoulder and happiness erupted in her when Raymond rested his head on top of hers.  It has been a while since Raymond held her in any intimate way.  Mandy can't help but feel that there was hope for her and Raymond.

Looking through the lens of the camera, Gigi had never felt as joyful, as fortunate, and as at peace as she was now.  At first she didn't think it would happen but it was plain to see that Raymond and Mandy were slowly finding their way back to each other.  In no time things will be just like before.  Unable to contain her own smile, Gigi giggled, "Smile."

--------------------------------------------

The ball was in full swing by the time Ben and Charmaine arrived.  They chatted with the sponsors for a few minutes and headed towards their assigned table.  After seating Charmaine, Ben left to get some food.  Sitting alone at the table, Charmaine glanced around the enormous room.  It was decorated beautifully and it was evident the sponsors put a lot of effort into the event.  There were ten tables in all.  Each table seating up to ten guests.  Their table was in front and to the left of the stage.  Ben must be very familiar with the sponsors in order to get such good seats.

"I'm back."  Ben placed a plate in front of her.  It was filled to the top with all sorts of finger food and they all looked scrumptious.

She saw that he only got a plate for her and not for himself.  "Where's yours?" she inquired softly.

"I'm not hungry yet," he stated and stood up when a passing waiter stopped at their table.  He removed two flutes of champagne from the tray and set them down on the table.

"You haven't eaten anything all day," Charmaine remarked.  Pushing the plate between them, she said, "You brought me a lot of food.  We'll share it."

"As you wish."  Ben sat down and forked a shrimp.  He held it up for Charmaine to bite.  "Try this."

Charmaine stared awkwardly at the shrimp in front of .  She was hesitant to let Ben feed her.  It didn't seem appropriate especially at a public event such as this one.  What made it more staggering was that he never tried to feed her at home.  Why here?

"It is truly a small, small world," a soft purring voice said from behind them.

Charmaine turned to see who it was and was astonished to find Raymond staring coldly down at her.