Chapter 21

Loving You Forever

Charmaine scooped the last of the soup she had made into an air tight thermo and screwed on the lid.  She had spent all morning brewing the soup.  Raymond was due to arrive any minute to pick her up.  Together they will go to the hospital and visit his mom.  Charmaine was jittery at the prospect of facing his mom again.  His mom's outright disapproval of her cannot be easily brushed aside.  She can't help but feel that no matter what she does, his mom will never accept her.  All she can hope is that with time things will change.

The buzzing of the doorbell announced Raymond's arrival.  Setting the thermo on to the table Charmaine opened the door for him.  Raymond looked tired and haggard.  His usual bright and warm eyes lacked luster and an overnight growth of facial hair covering the lower half of his face added to the effect.  "Good morning," she greeted tenderly and received a small smile from him.

No matter how desolated he was feeling, Charmaine always seem to lift his spirits, even if it's just a little.  "Good morning," Raymond returned and dropped a chaste kiss on her cheek.  "Are you ready?"

Charmaine retrieved the thermo from the table and said, "I made soup for your mom."

Raymond took it from her and said, "Thank you for making this."

Charmaine smiled and without a word turned to grab her bag.  "I'm ready."

Raymond didn't say anything as he stood at the door staring at her.  He was amazed at how understanding and forgiving she was to his mom even after his mom's tirade last night.  Charmaine was indeed a rare and special woman and he was fortunate to have met her.  Although they have only been together for a short period, he can't imagine life without her now.  Taking her hand he said, "Let's go."

They arrived at the hospital half an hour later.  Gigi was sitting up in bed, a table pulled up to her chest.  She was eating and by the looks of all the half empty plates on the table she was nearly done.  Raymond walked up to her and asked, "How are you feeling Mom?"

Gigi set her bowl and chopsticks down.  Her eyes darted over to Charmaine who waited uncertainly by the door.  She immediately frowned.

"Hello Auntie," Charmaine greeted and slowly approached the bed.  "I made you some soup.  I hope you like it."

Gigi turned her attention to Raymond.  "Why are you here so late?" she asked with contempt, her eyes shooting daggers at Charmaine, silently accusing her for her son's lateness.

"I had to run back to the station last night and was only able to get away a little while ago," Raymond explained.  However, the look on Gigi's face told him she didn't believe it.  Frustrated by his mom's unreasonable, Raymond took deep breaths to calm down and reminded himself that she was ill.  Very very ill.  Getting into an argument and upsetting her will not be good for her.  Managing a small smile, he unscrewed the thermo and said, "Charmaine made this for you.  I'll pour you a bowl."

Gigi's hand reached out and stopped Raymond from pouring the soup.  In a cool voice, she informed him, "I ate already."

Raymond scanned the dishes on the table.  There were leftovers of some steamed fish drizzled with shreds of ginger and scallions, a plate of half eaten chicken and tomatoes and another plate with whole stems off some green veggies which he can't make out.  They did not look like food prepared in a hospital.  "Where did all this come from?"

"Mandy cooked it for me.  She brought it over during her lunch break," Gigi told him with a proud smile on her face.  "That Mandy is always looking out for me.  She knew I wouldn't be able to eat the hospital food so she cooked all this for me."

Raymond wasn't about to give up.  His mom drinking Charmaine's soup would mean accepting her and he wanted that to happen so badly.  He poured soup into an empty bowl and held it in front of her, "How about some soup to wash it down?"

Gigi looked behind Raymond at Charmaine.  She saw the hope and pleading in the younger woman's face and was not the least bit touched by it.  Pushing Raymond's hand with the bowl away, she said civilly, "I ate a lot.  No room for soup."

Gigi's refusal did not deter Raymond.  He poured the soup back into the thermo and screwed it tightly shut again.  "Save it for later.  It'll stay hot in here until you're ready to drink it."

Vexed by Raymond's persistence, Gigi snapped, "I won't drink it at all and that's final!"

A tinge of annoyance flared within Raymond.  He could not understand why his mom was being so difficult with Charmaine.  Yes, his mom adores Mandy but Raymond was positive she would adore Charmaine too once she gets to know her.  He turned around to face Charmaine.  He wanted to make some excuse for his mom's behavior but the wounded look on her face stabbed at his conscience.  "Charmaine," he started but she shook her head and he trailed off.

With a wobbly smile, Charmaine said softly, "It's alright.  Maybe Auntie isn't in the mood for soup."  She turned her gaze on Gigi and said, "Auntie, what would you like to eat tonight?  I'll cook it for you."

Vastly relieved that Charmaine did not take his mom's words to heart, Raymond coaxed gently, "Charmaine is an excellent cook.  Try her cooking."  He looked expectantly at her as he waited for her answer.

"Mandy will be bringing me dinner," Gigi told him with indifference and leaned back against the bed.  "I'm tired and would like to get some rest.  If you don't mind…"

Knowing that she was being dismissed, Charmaine nevertheless kept her smile in place and said, "Get some rest then.  I'll come back later with Raymond to visit you again."

Gigi raised her hand and waved it back and forth, "Thank you for visiting me but there's no need for you to come back.  If you really want me to feel better then leave my son alone."

"Mom!" Raymond was pushed past his limits on how she was treating Charmaine.  Narrowing his eyes with annoyance, he hissed, "Why do you have to be like this?"

Gigi was astonished by Raymond's attack and countered, "And why do you have to be with this woman instead of Mandy?"

"It's because Charmaine is the one I love and not Mandy," Raymond half shouted.  Remembering where they were he lowered his voice and continued, "Don't you want me to be happy?"

Gigi nodded her head, her eyes misty as she stared at her one and only son.  A son whom she brought up on her own and would sacrifice anything for.  Normally, she would relent on anything Raymond wanted as long as he was happy then she was happy.  Yet this time it was different.  She didn't believe for a second that his new girlfriend could ever make him happy.  Only Mandy could.  Locking her eyes with his, Gigi said quietly with conviction, "And you will be… with Mandy."

"Mom," Raymond argued, "Don't be so unreasonable.  Why don't you…"

"I'm sorry, but I should be going," Charmaine interrupted quietly and headed for the door.

"Don't!" Raymond called out after her and stopped her with a hand on her arm.  Lowering his voice, he said, "I'll change her mind about you."

Charmaine gave him a weak smile and said, "It's alright.  Don't force her to.  Right now you need to concentrate on Auntie's illness and not me.  I'll be fine."

Raymond was again amazed at how understanding and compassionate Charmaine was, especially after all that she had endured under his mom's wrath.  "You are truly a wonderful person," he complimented in awe.

Charmaine smiled shyly at him before looking past him to Gigi who was scowling at them from the bed.  "Get some rest Auntie.  I'll come back to visit tonight."

Gigi made a snickering sound, crossed her arms, and abruptly turned to face the wall instead of at them.

Raymond shook his head with disapproval at his mom's childish tactics.  He was about to comment her on her bad manners when Charmaine touched his arm.  He turned and seeing her sweet angelic face reminded him of how lucky he was to have her by his side.  "I'll walk you downstairs," he offered and opened the door and almost collided into Kenneth and Ron who were coming in.

"I knew you'll be here," Ron said and walked ahead of Kenneth into the room.

Raymond and Charmaine were still hovering by the door when Kenneth stepped in followed by Ben Wong.