Chapter 17

Loving You Forever

"I'm nervous," Charmaine told Raymond when they stopped in front of the restaurant where they were going to have dinner with his mom.

Raymond cradled her face and gave her a wavering smile.  "Don't be.  My mom will love you," he said with more feeling than intended, trying to convince himself that as well.  He didn't know what to make of his mom of late.  She had been acting weird and secretive.  He tried again this morning to tell Gigi that Charmaine will be joining them for dinner but Gigi cut him off, insisting that they talk after her birthday dinner.

"I don' know," Charmaine murmured hesitantly.  She has a funny feeling about this.  When Raymond first invited her to dinner with his mom she had been ecstatic and was looking forward to it.  Since then she began to have doubts.  Although Raymond didn't say it directly but she can tell that he regretted inviting her.  It was the tension on his face whenever she mentioned his mom's birthday.  This was enough to warn her that perhaps his invitation was a spur of the moment for him and since then he had changed his mind and couldn't rescind the invitation without hurting her feelings.  Not wanting Raymond to know that was the reason for her hesitation now, she simply said, "It's kind of soon for me to meet your mom.  After all, we've only been dating for a few weeks.  Let's wait a while."

"Everything will be fine," Raymond said and after giving her a reassuring smile he grabbed her hand and led her into the restaurant.  A waiter showed them to the room that Raymond had reserved.  The door was closed but feminine voices can be heard from within.  Strange, he thought.  Who was his mom talking to?  Curious to find out, Raymond quickly threw open the door and froze.  Mandy was here.

Gigi and Mandy looked up simultaneously when the door opened.  They didn't see Charmaine who was standing directly behind Raymond and shielded from their view.  "Raymond, we were wondering what's taking you so long," Gigi said with a wide over zealous smile.  "Come over and sit down next to Mandy," she commanded and chuckled when Mandy lowered her head shyly.

"I… I…," Raymond stammered and tried helplessly to slow his thudding heart, which he felt was about to burst out of his chest from the shock.

Seeing Raymond's panicky expression prompted Gigi to harp, "Raymond, what is wrong with you?  Why are you standing there like you've never seen Mandy before?"  She noted that Raymond seem reluctant to take any further steps into the room.  "Raymond?" she queried and that was when she saw the woman standing awkwardly behind him.  Gigi's eyes skimmed to the face of the woman and noted sardonically that she was very pretty.  In fact she was more than pretty.  She borders on being beautiful and beautiful in a wholesome way that men probably found attractive and irresistible.  So this was the woman who bewitched Raymond into dumping Mandy.  Seeing her beauty and the beguiling innocence in her eyes, Gigi now understood how this woman was able to snarl Raymond away from Mandy.  It was by using her looks and that left a sour taste in Gigi's mouth.  With her smile vanishing she looked over at Charmaine with disdain.

Mandy saw the change on Gigi's face and turned her head in Raymond's direction.  She was momentarily surprised by the young woman standing slightly behind Raymond who looked at them with nervous anxiety.  In that instance she knew who this woman was to Raymond and with a heavy heart she also knew this was the reason for their breakup.  Her gaze shifted to Raymond and she felt a pull in her heart.  She had never seen him looking so haggard or stressed in all the time they've been together.  Taking matters into her own hands, she immediately stood up and walked over to them.  Smiling with open friendliness she said to Charmaine, "Hi, you must be Raymond's girlfriend."

Charmaine smiled uncertainly in return and introduced herself, "I'm Charmaine," she said softly.  Her eyes went to Gigi and saw the woman's cool appraisal.  An uneasiness begin to fill the pit of her stomach.  Oh no, what did she do wrong?  She shifted uncomfortably closer to Raymond and squeezed his hand.

Mandy looked over at Raymond and teased, "Why are you just standing there like an idiot?  Shouldn't you be bringing your girlfriend over to introduce to your mom?"

Raymond turned his gaze from his mom's cold and hard expression to the warmth of Mandy's.  Seeing her tender smile he relaxed, only a little bit though.  Mandy wasn't the obstacle he had to go through.  It was his mom and judging by her stoic expression she hasn’t changed her opinion of Charmaine.  "Yes, I should do that," he said in a low barely audible voice.  He picked up Charmaine's hand and guided her towards his mom.  "Mom, this is Charmaine."

"Hello Auntie," Charmaine greeted respectively and smiled.  She fought the urge to flee when Gigi continued to peruse her with frosty eyes, eyes that seem to burn right through her with dislike.  "Happy Birthday Auntie," Charmaine wished softly and with her free hand clumsily went into her bag to retrieve a small silver gift-wrapped box.

Raymond took the gift from Charmaine's hand and held it out to his mom.  "Charmaine bought this present for you," he said quietly.

Gigi's gaze darted from Charmaine to the gift box and finally rested on Raymond.  "I won't accept it," she grated through clenched teeth and then demanded, "And why did you bring her here?  To MY birthday dinner?"

"Auntie," Mandy soothed and was instantly by Gigi's side.  "It's your birthday and of course Raymond wants to celebrate it with you and his girlfriend."

Gigi's expression softened as she turned to look at Mandy.  "In my eyes you are his only girlfriend and will be my only daughter-in-law.  If that woman…"  Gigi's eyes flicked a loathing glance at Charmaine and continued, "hadn't come along, you and Raymond would be planning your wedding now."

Mandy was touched by Gigi's fondness and loyalty to her but that doesn't make it okay for her to treat Raymond's new girlfriend so callously.  Raymond did not love her and she accepts it.  True, she had come tonight with hopes of reconciling with him but after seeing Charmaine, she knew it was definitely over between them.  "Auntie," Mandy reasoned quietly, "Raymond is with her now and I'm sure you'll grow to love her as you did me.  Give her a chance."

Gigi shook her head adamantly, "No!  I want to leave right now!"  She started to get up but Mandy held her down.

"Auntie," Mandy urged, "Don't do this."

"Mom, please don't be like this," Raymond pleaded softly and felt Charmaine's hand slip from his.  He turned to look at her and the wounded look on her face felt like a blow to his stomach.  "Charmaine…"

Charmaine was stunned beyond words from what she heard.  Raymond had a girlfriend!  And she, Charmaine Sheh, had inadvertently broken them up without knowing it.  Forcing her eyes to meet Raymond's she said hoarsely, "I-I have to go," and made for the door.

Raymond caught up and grabbed Charmaine's arm before she could leave the room.  "Don't go," he begged.

Refusing to look at him, Charmaine said in a low aching voice, "Go celebrate your mom's birthday with her.  Don't upset her on her special day."

Raymond slid his hand up her arm to her shoulder and using both hands turned her around to face him.  He saw the guilt and shame on her face and guessed what she was thinking.  In a firm voice he said, "Charmaine, what happened is not what you're thinking.  You are not the cause of me breaking up with Mandy."

Charmaine lifted her gaze to him then and in a shaky voice filled with regret and despair she asked, "Do you think I would believe you?"

Raymond searched her face and a tight knotting pain ascended on him.  So intense was the pain that his eyes smarted with unshed tears.  Squeezing her shoulders he tried in vain to make her believe him, "I can explain everything if you'll…"

"Goodbye Raymond," Charmaine interrupted and forcibly brushed his hands off her and sprinted out the door.

"Charmaine!" Raymond cried desperately and made to chase after all.

"Raymond!" Gigi's sharp authoritive voice stopped him in his tracks.  "Are you going to stay and celebrate my birthday with me or are you going after that woman?"

Raymond turned to look at his mom with a crushing sadness that bored heavily down onto him.  "Mom," he said softly, guiltily, "I have to go.  I can't let her leave like that."

Gigi took a step towards him and suddenly bowled over clutching her midsection.  Her face paled to an ashen white.  She dropped to her knees and groaned with the agony of the pain.

"Mom!" Raymond rushed to Gigi's side holding her up in a sitting position, "Are you alright?" he practically screamed.

The pain was becoming unbearable for Gigi.  She squeezed her eyes tightly shut willing the pain to stop and go away.  It didn't.  "My stomach," she groaned breathlessly.  "My stomach…"

"Call an ambulance," Raymond shouted and Mandy took out her phone.  "Mom, don't scare me!"

Gigi opened her eyes and a second later passed out from the crucial pain.

"Mom!" Raymond screamed hysterically as he clutched Gigi's unconscious body close to his.