Chapter 15

Loving You Forever

Something was amiss with Raymond.  Charmaine read it easily on his face although he tried to mask it with a wavering smile.  Yet she didn't question him about it.  If he wanted to tell her then he would do it on his own.  However, after running two red lights and narrowly missing an oncoming car, Charmaine wanted to know what it was.  She had never seen Raymond drive so recklessly.  He is always calm and cautious behind the wheel.  So whatever is on his mind must be troubling him immensely.  She waited until the car came to a full stop before turning to look at him.  "Did something happen?" she asked softly.

Raymond's mind had been focused on his mom's words from the night before.  He couldn't understand why his mom was being so irrational.  Since that night she had avoided speaking to him altogether.  Was he that wrong in breaking off with someone he didn't love?  He thought all mothers wanted their children to be happy.  And Raymond was extremely happy with Charmaine.  Why then was his mom treating him like he committed the world's biggest crime?  Turning to look at Charmaine and seeing the concern on her face dissipated some of his foul mood.  "I'm sorry," he said raggedly and picked up her hand to brush a kiss across her knuckles.  "I'm working on a tough case and I guess I got too into it."

Smiling gently at him, Charmaine said, "I know you take your job seriously but you shouldn't let it take over you."

Staring at her sweet angelic face banished the last traces of Raymond's ill mood.  "You're right," he agreed and turned the ignition off.  "I don't know about you but I'm starving."

"You're always hungry," Charmaine kidded and nevertheless got out of the car to join him on the sidewalk.  She looked around the choices of restaurants and asked, "What do you feel like having?"

"I don't know," Raymond said and scanned the area.  Taking her hand he began walking, "Let's walk around and see if anything interests us."

Charmaine nodded enthusiastically at his suggestion.  By the time they walked down three blocks and with no decision made, they decided perhaps Raymond wasn't as hungry as he originally thought he was.  "Since we can't decide on what to eat, let's take a walk in the mall."

"Is shopping all women think about?" he teased pinching her nose at the same time.

Charmaine pulled his hand away from her face and clasped it with her own.  "I actually want to show you something," she said excitedly.

Raymond let Charmaine guide him into the mall, up a flight of escalators to stop in front of a jewelry store.  Surprised by her boldness he teased, "You want a ring already?  Normally I would be horrified by the idea of marrying but since it's you, I'm all for it."

Raymond's assumption caused Charmaine to flush with embarrassment.  She quickly shook her head in denial and explained, "You mentioned that your mother's birthday is coming up.  I wanted to buy her something and wanted your opinion on it."  Using her finger, she pointed it at the window towards a small silver brooch with flecks of different colored stones.  "What do you think?  Will your mother like that?"

The mention of his mother dampened Raymond's spirits.  He had invited Charmaine to celebrate his mom's birthday with him but that was before Gigi's outburst.  Now he wasn't too keen about the idea.  Knowing his mom she would hold true to her words in not accepting Charmaine into her life.  "There's something I should tell you."

Hearing the graveness in his voice, Charmaine quickly turn towards him, "What is it?" she asked.

Raymond opened his mouth to speak, intending on telling her that the birthday dinner was off, but he couldn't find it in him to lie to her.  "My mother doesn't like silver," he said instead, which was the truth.

Charmaine gave him a small smile and grasped his hand, pulling him into the store.  "That's alright.  We'll find something that she'll like then."

Raymond nodded absently.  His mother's birthday was coming up in two days.  Will that be enough time to convince her to give Charmaine a chance?  Raymond didn't think so but he was going to try and beg if he had to.

"What do you think of this?" Charmaine asked, interrupting his thoughts.

Raymond turned in the direction of her finger and saw a pair of pinkish pearl earrings.  They were sophisticated and classy and the size was neither too big nor too small.  He recalled his mom saying something about not owning a pair of pearl earrings.  It was perfect.  His mom will definitely like it.  Perhaps this thoughtful gift from Charmaine might change his mom's view of her.  The more he thought about it the more he believed it will.  Smiling lovingly down at Charmaine, he said, "She will love it."

-------------------------------------------------------

Mandy walked into the restaurant and immediately saw Gigi.  She was sitting two tables away from the entrance and was waving her hand madly to gain Mandy's attention.  "Hi Auntie," Mandy greeted and sat down in the opposite chair.  A waiter came over and asked what he can get for her to drink.  "A glass of orange juice please."  After the waiter left, she turned her attention back to Gigi and said, "Auntie, you said you have something urgent to tell me.  What is it?"

Gigi noted the dark circles beneath Mandy's eyes and commented, "You haven't been sleeping well."

Mandy shook her head and confessed hesitantly, "No, I haven't."  She hasn't been sleeping well since Raymond broke up with her but she wasn't going to tell anyone that.

"Is it because of Raymond?" Gigi asked bluntly.

"No," Mandy instantly responded and lowered her head from Gigi's searching gaze.  "I've been working late in the office," she lied and prayed that Gigi would not see through her small fib.

Gigi of course knew better.  How could she not know?  She has known Mandy for more than two years and knows without a doubt that Mandy still loves Raymond very much.  "I'm sorry for what Raymond did," she said quietly.

Mandy shook her head again, "Don't be sorry.  No one did anything wrong," she clarified in a small voice.  Lifting her head to look directly at Gigi, she added, "Please don't blame Raymond for this."

Gigi felt a tug in her heart at how understanding Mandy is even after Raymond dumped her for the woman he's with now.  Thinking about the scene of her son with that woman aggravated Gigi.  To think that she has raised a two-timing, cold-hearted man made her even angrier at herself.  Then a thought struck her.  Raymond had only begun dating this woman recently so their relationship can't possibly be that stable.  With the wheels in her head turning, Gigi came up with a plan to bring Raymond and Mandy back together.  Smiling hopefully at Mandy, she asked, "Are you free Saturday night?"

Surprised by the question Mandy nodded her head, "Why?"

"Well this Saturday is my birthday and Raymond will be taking me out to dinner.  So I would like…"

Knowing automatically where Gigi was leading up to, Mandy quickly inject, "No, I can't go."

"Why not?" Gigi demanded in motherly tone that Mandy have heard her use so often.

To hear Gigi speak to her again in that familiar tone made Mandy's throat constrict with sadness.  Gigi was the ideal mother-in-law and Mandy was very fond of her and the relationship they once had.  It also reminded her of all the good times she spent with Raymond and how empty her life is now without him in it.

Reading Mandy's thoughts correctly, Gigi urged, "Please join us.  Even if you and Raymond are no longer a couple it doesn't mean you can't celebrate my birthday with me.  You guys are still friends right.  So say you'll come," she pleaded softly.

Gigi was right.  She and Raymond did decide to remain friends.  More importantly, she wanted to see Raymond again, even if it's for a glimpse.  She smiled and nodded her head.  "Thank you Auntie for inviting me."

Gigi reached across the table to take Mandy's hand, "I should be thanking you for agreeing to come."