Chapter 9

My Afterlife with Lee Joon

 

Chapter 9.

 

A week went by following the similar pattern each day. I either stayed home and cleaned, or joined them on their exhausting schedules. I had come to learn that Changsun’s individual activities were endless and he spent a lot less time in the house than the others. It came as a pleasant change on some days, and whilst he was gone, I had started to learn more about the other members.

Sanghyun and Byunghee had slowly begun to accept my presence in the house, both showing signs of wanting to join in conversation regarding me now and then. Sanghyun was more standoffish about it, but I was surprised that Byunghee had even started asking about me. It seemed I wouldn’t have to work as hard as I had originally thought. I knew it wasn’t easy sailing though, especially when I had walked in on Sanghyun in the bathroom by accident and Changsun mentioned it to him. I wished I hadn’t told him in embarrassment after all.

As I expected however, Cheolyong and I had started to become quite close. Whenever he was in his bedroom after work and I wasn’t busy, I always went to spend time with him before going to bed. I found him comfortable, probably because we were born in the same year. All the same, I was sure that the boy didn’t seem to mind. Sometimes he would sense me in there and start talking. I liked how he attempted to involve me in his daily life. I wondered if this was what it would have felt like to have an older brother.

I had chosen to join him that evening and for awhile we both read mangas quietly. Although there was no fruits basket in his collection, I had started to enjoy a series I had picked up. I was quite involved in my reading when Cheolyong let out a deep sigh and it caught my attention.

“Yoomi-ah, are you in here?” I got up and placed my hand on his arm, the boy smiling in recognition. “I’m glad you are. Can I talk to you?”

I nodded, even though he couldn’t see.

“I keep forgetting that you can’t talk back. I really wish I could hear you. I was reading up on something the other day about the dead actually.” He sat up on his bed and I watched him shift his thickly framed glasses up further on his face. It was a trait he seemed to do whenever he was awkward so I had discovered, and I placed my hand back on his arm, hoping it was reassuring. “It said if you try really hard to open your mind up, a spirit can communicate with you. I wonder how that works.”

I thought over his statement for a moment. Memories of the night Changsun and I went to find my necklace came to the surface and I tried to decipher why. Then I gasped, looking at my friend and thinking of how I had read Changsun’s mind. I wondered if the ability Cheolyong was referring to would be triggered in the same way. I hesitated; Changsun had warned me I wasn’t allowed to read his mind again.

“But he never said anything about the others,” I surmised slowly, letting a smile grow on my lips. Looking at the boy who was deep in thought himself, I tried to hear his thoughts. They were a jumbled mess and I laughed a little, trying to figure out how to get his attention. I decided I would try and talk to his thoughts, though I wasn’t quite sure how to go about it. Most of my discoveries had been down to chance and thinking of what I wanted. I hoped that it would be as simple as that now also.

“Cheolyong-ie, can you hear me?” I asked him and I watched as his dark eyes widened in fright. “You can, right?”

“Yoomi?!” he cried out loud and I giggled. It was a lot easier than we both imagined. I noted it down, hoping I could teach Changsun to talk to me like this in the future too. Yesterday I had made things difficult for him in front of FT Island, and I didn’t want to make any more mishaps – even if he deserved it for telling Sanghyun on me.

“It’s me.” I poked his arm and he let out a shiver. “It’s weird though, right?”

“A good weird,” he answered firmly, his eyes showing that he was battling the fear down. I was thankful he was so willing to get to know me. Excited, I wondered if I’d be able to do the same with the other members. “How does this work?”

“You said about opening your mind up. The other day I managed to read Changsun-oppa’s mind and he was kind of mad. So don’t tell him about this yet, I don’t know how well he’ll take to me invading your space.”

Cheolyong grinned. “I don’t mind, it’s better than feeling like I’m talking to myself.”

“I guess that’s true.”

“Wah!” he cried a moment later and I looked at him curiously. “This is so amazing! I don’t think you realise just how jealous I’ve been of hyung being the only one to communicate with you. He always gets a lot of attention; I wish sometimes I could get more.”

“Is that why you try to be louder than him?”

Cheolyong blushed a little, and then chuckled. “Isn’t that the role of a maknae?”

“You don’t seem like the typical maknae in reality though,” I told him and he seemed to like my answer. He played with his glasses again.

“Yoomi, don’t you find it weird being here?” His eyes fell to his blankets. “I often wonder why you’re living with us, and not with your family. I figured out you’re a fan of ours, but that isn’t enough to pull you here right? Otherwise we would have had an influx of spirits that were once fans, I’m sure.”

“I guess there’s more than one meaning to family,” I answered slowly and Cheolyong tried to gaze at me. I was glad he couldn’t see me at that moment. “I feel like I belong here. My family are back in Cheonju, and I didn’t feel right being around them. I worried my presence wouldn’t let them move on properly. Then I ended up back in Seoul, and wondered where I was meant to be. I met a lady who told me I had something holding me here. The only thing I could think of was Changsun-”

“So that’s why he can see you and not us?”

I shrugged. “I’m not sure about that. Suddenly he saw me, right after I knocked into a box in his room and he saw it fall.”

“Ah!” Cheolyong jumped up and I whipped around to watch him. “So you have to disturb something in my world for me to see you? Try knocking my water bottle here off my night stand!”

I got up and tried to push it to the ground. It fell with a clink on the wooden surface, and Cheolyong watched it intently. He then looked around the room, his smile fading. I threw his alarm clock onto his bed just to try and keep his face from falling further, but he still wasn’t able to see me. I sighed. “Sorry but it doesn’t seem like that is working.”

“It must be your connection to Changsun then,” he said sadly, sitting back down. “Maybe he’s the reason you’re still here.”

“I don’t know what I’m meant to do though. It doesn’t seem like anything is changing. I’m just getting to know you all better.”

“Something has changed though,” he corrected with a smile and I tilted my head to the side. “You and I are able to talk. This is enough for me for now. I’m sure soon I’ll be able to see you too.”

I didn’t reply. He was too optimistic about it and I didn’t want to rob Cheolyong of his hopes.

 

I still felt uneasy later that evening when Changsun returned from his schedule. I glanced up at the clock and noticed it was one in the morning. I had been so wrapped up in my thoughts about Cheolyong; I hadn’t even felt time slip by.

“You’re still awake,” Changsun observed and I nodded once. He went to the refrigerator and got a bottle of water out. He then came and sat on the couch beside me. “You okay?”

“Mm.”

“Normally you’re excited to see me return.” He was right of course. I always seemed to brighten up when he was by side. Tonight I felt drained though. I wondered if it took effort from me to talk to Cheolyong the way I had.

“I’m tired I guess.”

Changsun became concerned. “What’s going on? Has something bad happened?”

“No, something good I guess.”

“You can move on?” he instantly asked and I glanced at him. His expression was unreadable.

“No, but I’m sure that would be good news for you,” I replied, slightly hurt by his words.

He picked up on it and slung an arm around my shoulders. If my heart was still able to beat, I’m sure it would have stopped working at the gesture. He smiled down at me. “Don’t think like that Mi-Mi.”

“Ugh!” I shoved him away and he chuckled. “Since when do you call me that?!”

He drank some of his water and then smirked. “What’s wrong with that? We’re closer now, so nicknames are bound to happen. You can give me one if you like.”

“Anything?”

“Be reasonable,” he warned, but I was already going through wicked possibilities.

“What about attention seeker? Egotistical? Body flasher? Oh ert would be perfect!”

“Yah! How am I a ert?!” I raised an eyebrow at him and he scoffed at me. “I’m not that bad. Don’t be foolish!”

“Right.” I remained unconvinced. He nudged me and I giggled.

“I gave you one from your name. You should do the same.”

I gave it some thought and then smiled. “Okay then, Joonie-poo.”

“Po-poo?! No way!”

“Do you think I like being called Mi-Mi, Changsun-ah? Am I five?”

“You write like it,” he quipped and I let out an annoyed yell. He was laughing at me now.

Leaping on him, I began my tickle attack, knowing it had worked so well in the past. He soon was helpless, and tried to avoid my hands in his sides. Losing his balance, I felt myself fall back on the couch, the boy falling on top of me.

And so did his water bottle. Any notions of a romantic moment ended there. For a moment we were silent, and then he started laughing again, sitting up and pointing at my wet face. “That’ll teach you for tickling me!”

I glowered at him. He seemed to take heed of my mood change and scooted off towards his bedroom. He stopped outside the door and I sat up, feeling the water trickle down my top. Changsun was still amused and raised his hand to wave.

“Night Mi-Mi!”

“LEE CHANGSUN!” I yelled in annoyance as he shut his door with a final chuckle.

 

_______

Author's Notes...

It's still Friday somewhere in the world... right? Lol. I'm no longer going to promise posting. I had a really bad tummy bug yesterday and have finally regained strength to sit at my desk... and my first mission has been to come and post. So don't think I forgot ya'll!! I love this chapter btw... so cute, and endearing if I can say so!!

 

Replies...

@nikka0407; Thank you for waiting, my apologies for not being able to post for that week again! I'm glad you're enjoying this!!

@Kate; Joon is pretty naughty. But yes, I reckon theres more to him than meets the eye. 

@cuppop; thank youuuu! More now!