Chapter 7.

My Afterlife with Lee Joon

 

Chapter 7.

 

He didn’t really need any words from me to tell him it was my necklace. I looked up at Changsun all the same, and for a second we shared an intimate moment. And then he smiled. “Lift your hair up.”

“I’m sorry?”

He didn’t even look around himself as he knelt down in front of me. I gasped, doing the quick darting around the area to see if anyone was watching for him. Thankfully they weren’t. I then shifted my hair aside and allowed the boy to put the necklace around my neck, noticing it was slightly shorter. It must have snapped off with the longer ring breaking. When he pulled away, he frowned at the issue that had arisen. “Uh, okay I’m not following, how is this working exactly?”

“I’ve learnt that there is a duplicate of everything in my world. For example, you were right, you saw me wearing your top. And you found it still in your wardrobe. It’s kind of confusing; I’m still trying to come to terms with the idea.” I then the necklace that was around my neck. “Thank you for finding it. It was the first thing I bought when I moved here and my biggest treasure.”

Changsun stared at the real necklace in his hand still whilst thinking over my words. I waited for him to snap out of it, but when he didn’t, I gently prodded him. “It’s cold for you, right? And it’s getting late. We should head back before someone becomes aware of your disappearance.”

“Yeah.” He sounded distant but got to his feet all the same. I was anxious as he walked towards the crossing, still looking at the necklace. Lifting his hand, I helped him press the button and we waited in silence. My connection with his hand seemed to sober him up from his previous daze and Changsun looked both ways before stepping out.

“What are you doing?!” I was standing in front of him in an instant, shoving him back lightly. “Do you want to be killed?!”

“There are no cars,” he observed and I looked at him again. “Is, is that the same mistake you made?”

I nodded.

“Oh. Oh.” He stepped back onto the path and we waited for the light to indicate our cross. Eventually it did and we got to the other side, continuing our walk back to the dorm in silence. I kept side glancing at the older boy, who was deep within his thoughts. I wondered what exactly he was thinking, and suddenly heard his voice.

She lost the necklace there, and said she saw me last before she died. Did she come to the apartment and spot me and then race back? Is she a fan then? Yoomi never said she was one. But it would make sense. She rambled about two and a half years, that’s since our debut roughly. And the necklace has a Y and C on it. Would it be too presumptuous to think the C stood for-

“It does,” I mentioned and Changsun leapt in fright at my voice. I then blushed heavily, only realising I had actually been listening to his thoughts. It was a new experience; I hadn’t expected to be able to do that, even though it was something people said the dead did. It was slightly unnerving to be able to invade his mind like that.

“Ho-how did you know what I was thinking?”

“Ahh-”

Changsun gaped at me. “You read my mind?!”

“I don’t know how it happened!” I cried back honestly. “One minute I was wondering what you were so busy thinking about and the next I was hearing it.”

“You read my mind!” he repeated and shook his head.

“I didn’t mean to Changsun-ssi!”

“I’m going to get you back for that!”

I let out a smug laugh. “How exactly? If you’ve forgotten, we’re from different worlds now.”

“In case you’ve forgotten Yoomi-ah, I can still touch you.” Just to prove it, he grabbed my wrist firmly. I pouted at him and then smiled. Using a little bit of my strength, I imagined myself down the street. I shifted to the spot and placed my hands on my hips, looking back down at the stunned brunette.

“But can you keep up with me to do anything?!” I called to him, and Changsun jogged towards me.

“How did you do that?!”

“What, shift from place to place?” I asked, shifting so I was behind him again. Changsun whipped around and I giggled. I had to admit I was having fun showing off to the boy. “Easy, it’s called being dead.”

“Does it hurt?” he wondered and I shook my head.

“It does take some effort from me to keep doing though,” I admitted and he nodded slowly.

“So you couldn’t escape me forever then. I’m pretty fast too,” he responded confidently. I arched an eyebrow and then shifted away.

We spent the rest of the trip back to the dorm in this fashion, Changsun trying to catch me and just missing out as I would dart away. He was determined to not let me beat him and kept chasing me, right up into the building. Just as I was about to enter the house, he trapped me up against the door, breathing heavily. I was so shocked that I didn’t even slip away like I planned to.

“Answer me two things Yoomi,” he said as he got his breath back and I continued to stare at him wide eyed. “Are you are fan of mine?”

“Ye-yes.”

He stared at me for a moment and then held up the necklace again. “Can I keep this copy then?”

“Why, uh why would you want it?” I asked weakly and he smiled at me briefly before in another breath.

“If I keep this, then we have bargained that you can’t read my mind again. And that I am comfortable with you staying here.”

I took in his terms and for a moment I was more aware of how close Changsun was than whether or not I was going to agree. I knew I couldn’t lose opportunities like this again. Nodding my head, I agreed.

I’d just have to learn to guess what was on his mind.

 

The next morning arrived but for once I didn’t wake up to any of the boys talking. Everything was still silent within the MBLAQ dorm and so I glanced over at the wall to the clock. It was only five-thirty and I had gone to sleep four hours ago. I wondered why I didn’t feel tired and stretched my limbs out, letting a yawn out at the same time. It was odd; I never used to be able to function on such little sleep. Leaving it down to the fact that I wouldn’t need as much rest these days, I sat up on the couch and looked around myself. My hand instinctively went to my neck and I smiled to myself, remembering the events of last night. My mind finally settled on the front door incident and I shivered with the reminiscing of the intimacy.

I still couldn’t figure out why Changsun wanted to keep my necklace, and that he wasn’t put out by the fact I was a fan. It seemed to be one of the issues the household could have with me staying here. I then wondered if it was simply going to remain a secret that only he knew. He had already left out information last night to the others. I hoped he would keep it this way. I felt that I could trust him to make the best decision regarding that factor.

Getting up, I wandered into the kitchen and pulled out a bowl and poured some cereal into it. I had never been into having a big breakfast, and opted out of rice in the morning. My parents had spent some years overseas in their youth and had become accustomed to eating western food groups in the morning, which they had transferred to both Yoohye and myself. Taking the bowl to the table, I sat down and started eating slowly, slightly unnerved with the quiet state of the house. I listened out for the sound of snoring, just for a bit of noise to break up the stillness.

The door to Seungho’s room opened and I glanced up at him. He cupped his head tiredly in his hands and slowly made his way to the bathroom, returning a few moments later. Instead of getting himself anything to eat, he fetched himself a protein drink and came over to the table with it. For a moment I thought he was going to attempt to sit down on me, but something propelled him to sit across the table instead. I only noticed then the piece of paper and pen he held and he placed them on the table, picking up the pen and writing The Stipulations at the top.

“Ah, so you’re making the rules,” I said to him, but knew the eldest wouldn’t reply. The list began to take form, and each condition was rather standard. Obviously he was more worried about the gender differences and not having anything taken advantage of. Even though they couldn’t see me, I was pleasantly surprised that he made it a rule I hung something on the door to prevent anyone entering the bathroom when I was using it. His thought for my privacy was endearing.

He finished his list and glanced over it briefly. “I hope Yoomi agrees to this. Wonder where she is anyway.”

I got up from the chair I had been in and picked up the pen he had placed down. The older boy visibly flinched at the sudden movement and I tried my best to write down I agree on the sheet. I finished and looked at my script, cringing at how messy it still was. Seungho read it and then burst out laughing.

“Is this truly your handwriting Yoomi?!” He laughed some more. “Oh really, this is way too much!”

“Yah! You try and write with that pen eh?! I’m still getting used to things!”

“Getting used to what?” a husky voice asked and we both turned to see Changsun approaching us at the table. “What are you both doing?”

“I wrote the rules out and wondered if Yoomi would agree,” Seungho started to explain, letting out another laugh. “Out of no where the pen started moving on its own and she left me this message. Just how old is she?!”

“I’ll have you know that pen weighs a tonne! It’d be like picking up a man of decent weight and having to carry him around for five minutes awkwardly! Then we’ll see how well you cope, Oppa!”

Changsun grinned and tapped the piece of paper where my writing was. “She’s angry with your teasing. Hyung, this is why the girls don’t like you at times. You easily enrage them.”

“She’s angry that she writes like a preschooler? I would be too!” Seungho looked a little sympathetic all the same and I opted for stomping on his foot to let him be aware of my emotions. He yelped loudly, and Changsun starting laughing.

“Yoomi-ah, be careful, he needs that foot to dance,” he managed to splutter out at the same time and I eyed the tall boy with distaste.

“I can write nicely, it’s just the difference of the realms!”

“Okay, okay I believe you.” Changsun was still grinning. “I think having you around is sure going to be entertaining, after all.”


__________

Author's Notes...

So I'm here! Woohoo on time, by about 23 minutes before its Wednesday haha! I've been studying all night, but never forgot about this - yes I'm rather proud. Anyways, this chapter is pretty fun huh? I enjoyed intesifying their relationship a little and adding in more details about Yoomi's existence. Not to mention Seungho in the morning always makes for good entertainment hehe. It's from here out that the fiction picks up speed a little. We get to see more of Changsun's mind even though Yoomi is now not allowed to read it!!

Replies...

@Rirakuma; I think he just really wanted to figure it out himself instead of leading the whole group to assume what she meant by that statement. Would be a little awkward to say "I saw your picture in the bus stop and then ran back" ... can only imagine that he would take her for obsessed then! Though I guess the initials on her necklace don't make her look completely innocent of that claim haha! Yes, it was nice of him, and I believe it was out of curiosity also :) Haha the element of not knowing eh? Well Seungho has made the rules above in the chapter, so lets see if they stick to it! Thank you for checking in and reading!!

@Kate; Haha I guess everyone handles everything in their own way! And he was rather luffly to do that yes :)