Chapter 14

My Afterlife with Lee Joon

 

Chapter 14

 

Things between Changsun and I were a little tense for the remainder of the day. I was thankful that his schedules took up most of his time and he couldn’t focus on his new found ability to talk to me the way I did to Cheolyong. But whenever he was on a break and in the car travelling to his next destination, Changsun attempted to get my attention. At first he was apologetic, for a reason I couldn’t seem to understand, though I guessed he had picked up on my knowledge of his previous dealings with Jihyun. And because I was too stubborn to give in to his efforts, he was now bating me with quips that were really starting to irk me.

I had started to wonder if the dead could really torture people.

I couldn’t completely understand why my mood was so sour though. I knew a part of it was the jealousy towards Jihyun turning up earlier with breakfast, something I wish I could do for Changsun myself. She was affecting me more than I wanted to allow, and every time I looked at Changsun, the more I would get irritated remembering the way she had hugged him before leaving the house that morning. And because I decided not to tell him what I knew, he thought I was angry with him instead.

Which wasn’t exactly wrong either – I was annoyed that he had chosen Jihyun of all people to bring him linen.

“Aish, this is driving me nuts,” I muttered to myself as I walked behind the rest of MBLAQ from some holding room. I had given up trying to decipher the events of the day, every room was slowly starting to look the same, and between radio time slots, publicity opportunities and the recording of Weekly Idol, the most memorable moment of the day was stopping for lunch.

“Is Yoomi with us today?” Seungho suddenly asked as the van they had all piled into headed off to their next destination. I glanced up at the older man, smiling warmly at his recognition. It had only been a whole day away from him and yet I had felt like a distant memory for some reason. It was relieving to be on someone’s mind.

“I hope she is, she needs a break from cleaning our dorm!” Cheolyong added and I grinned.

Sanghyun chuckled. “Yah, the dorm is a mess; Yoomi has slackened off in her part of the deal. She only cleaned to be accepted in.”

“Really?” I countered narrowing my eyes on the doubtful member and threw an empty water bottle at him in annoyance. The van filled with laughter a moment later and I folded my arms across my chest, feeling a little better seeing Sanghyun’s shocked face.

“She is obviously with us!” Cheolyong cried, his dark eyes fruitlessly searching for me. If he wasn’t behind me I would have hugged him tightly.

“Yoomi isn’t in a good mood today,” Changsun announced, Sanghyun illegibly mumbling something under his breath in response. “Maybe she didn’t sleep comfortably at my new house but-”

“Woah, hang on!” Byunghee interrupted, turning around to face us. “You took Yoomi to your house last night?”

Changsun nodded once. “Why wouldn’t I? I’m the only one who can see her.”

“This is not allowed Changsun-ah,” the surprised brunette continued, shaking his hands repeatedly. “What were you thinking?”

“I don’t get the big deal here.”

Seungho clasped his head in his hand and groaned, whilst Cheolyong slapped Changsun on the shoulder. “Hyung! Are you out of your mind?!”

“She’s a girl, and you’re a guy!” Seungho pointed out and I watched as the others nodded. “You can’t take her there and be alone with her.”

“Why not?” Changsun rolled his eyes. “If I left her there and she started doing things and you lot couldn’t see, how annoyed would you be?!”

“No, you just took her for yourself, you’re so greedy!” Cheolyong corrected and I couldn’t help but laugh. Changsun glared at me.

“They’re right; I told you that they wouldn’t like this.” I smiled lightly at his annoyance.

“Are you suggesting that you’re worried what will happen between me and Yoomi, alone?” The four other members all nodded at once. I was shocked that even Sanghyun had joined in. Changsun let out a laugh. “Come on guys.”

“No, you’re stealing our Yoomi.” Byunghee surprisingly nodded at Seungho’s statement. “She came to live with us at the dorm, not with you. I think it’s much safer for her to stay at ours and not yours.”

Changsun didn’t respond. He turned his focus out of the vehicle until it stopped, and flung himself out of the car as soon as it stopped. I cringed and went out after him, looking up to see that we were at their company building. I assumed it was time for practice, though I gave it little thought as I raced after the quickly departing idol.

“Yah, why are you so angry?” I asked as I finally fell into step with the taller Korean. He didn’t reply. “Oh is this punishment for earlier? Fine, but just tell me why you’re so angry right now with the others. They raised a good point you know-”

“So go live with them then.”

“Lee Changsun!” I shoved him lightly at the tone he had used to reply in my head. “Do I look like a toy who wants to be tossed around between everyone?!”

“I’m not your master, do as you please. Hell, leave for all I care!”

“You, you don’t mean that,” I responded, trying not to let my emotions fill my voice. He finally glanced at me and the hardness in his eyes softened. “We’re friends.”

We were finally in their practice room and Changsun ped his jacket, tossing it to the bench where he had put down his backpack. He gave me another look and then pointed to the spot spare beside his stuff, indicating for me to sit down. The others soon entered the room, and the argument in the car, as well as our conversation in the hallway were both forgotten about.

I watched endlessly, losing track of time as they kept going over their routine non stop. They could never stop making me so amazed at how well in sync they were with each other. I took a fondness to watching each of them individually, noticing their subtle differences and enjoying their zeal for their job. As tiring as their schedules were, when MBLAQ were dancing any exhaustion seemed to disappear. It was only noticeable when they finally finished with their practice, the five boys all dropping to the ground panting heavily. I wished I could do something for them to show my gratitude.

Instead Changsun’s mobile went off. I watched as he heaved himself off the ground and over to his bag, pulling the device out of the small front pocket. His eyes connected with mine for a moment before he answered. “Noona, I’m busy, why are you calling now?”

“Noona?” Sanghyun repeated and the four boys frowned.

“So he is dating someone?”

“It’s Jihyun-ssi,” I told Cheolyong with a sigh. He leapt up in fright, and at first I thought it was to do with me speaking within his head. But he rushed to Changsun’s side and yanked the phone away.

“Yah, he told you he was busy. Goodbye!”

“Why did you do that?!”

Cheolyong pointed at Changsun with a shaky finger. “Since when were you seeing Nam Jihyun again?!”

“What?!”

“It’s not like that at all,” Changsun announced, shooting me a glare and then sighing. “I called for a favour, but now she won’t leave me alone.”

“Why did you even call her, when you have us?!” Byunghee asked and I cringed. I didn’t realise that the woman was someone everyone else disliked also. I wondered if she was part of the problems of the previous year that Changsun wouldn’t talk about.

“We’re not completely alone I must remind you all,” Changsun stated bitterly, only confirming my suspicions. He snatched the phone out of his maknae’s hand and chucked it back into his bag, slinging it over his shoulder and yanking me up by the hand. We left the studio in a hurry, Changsun indicating to one of his staff members that he wanted to be taken home. The ride back to Jamshil was silent and yet I was fully aware that the brunette beside me hadn’t let go of my hand at all. In fact it wasn’t until we were inside his house that he finally slipped away from my side, going to the refrigerator to get a bottle of water. I only realised then that someone had been over to drop off groceries.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m going to go to bed,” he announced after screwing the lid back onto the bottle. I nodded lightly, placing my bag down on the couch. I watched as he went up to the second level, Changsun turning around to face me when he was up there. “Are you coming?”

I didn’t really have an excuse to give him so I nodded, going up to grab my things and then shifting to the bathroom so I could change. His behavioural changes were confusing me and I couldn’t tell if he was angry with me still or not. By the time I returned to the bedroom, Changsun was already under the covers. I slipped in beside him, and the brunette turned to face me.

“What is wrong with you?”

“I could ask you the same thing. I can’t figure out if you’re angry or not with me right now.” I sighed, wondering what he would say next.

“I am annoyed, but only because you told Cheolyong who was on the phone. You don’t want to mess with that situation, Yoomi.”

“I wasn’t aware that it would have that kind of reaction.” I smiled weakly. “Changsun-ah, why do they all hate her?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” He turned away from me.

“Why did you contact her then if you knew it would be like this?” I persisted and the boy groaned. “I’m just trying to understand.”

“Jihyun works at her Father’s department store; it made sense at the time.”

“Ah.” I nodded to myself and then remembered the other conversation in the van. “Should I be here? I know you said that-”

“I want you here.” Changsun faced me once more, giving me a small fright. “Especially after tonight, I need you here.”

I couldn’t figure it out, but as he pulled me into his arms and fell asleep against me, I soon forgot all about the negative aspects of the day. 

__________

Author's Notes....

So I'm posting this chapter early as I have my first exam tomorrow. Eeek! It's an afternoon exam, so knowing my luck I'd come home and forget to post. Just means Friday is further away to wait for the next one... and I'm super busy studying for my second exam so I won't be able to post three this week. I hope you can all be patient. It's my birthday/last exam for this semester next Monday so I'll be free to write lots I hope after that. Actually came up with another fiction idea, so I'm hoping I can end this fiction soon - though I won't rush it cos I've put too much effort into this already! Anyways, lots of turmoil in the above chapter... kind of hard to keep up with where all these emotions are coming from and going to. Needless to say it sets things up well for the following chapters - I'm sorry I'm such a tease, aren't I?! 

 

Replies...

@vanaja; Thanks, it does manage to house several emotions all at once, doesn't it! 

@cuppop; hehe you're very welcome, hope you enjoy the above chapter!

@Chronic; thank you... yes, he is rather frustrating. He gets worse, I have to admit. Or Yoomi does because... OOH! I can't say anymore... sorry :P 

@Kate; Lol, no she doesn't see that! And Jihyun is a bit difficult! 

@E_magine; thank you very much! I'm glad my hard work shows great chemistry, perfect!