Chapter 1.

My Afterlife with Lee Joon

 

Chapter 1.

 

Sighing heavily into the handphone against my ear, I looked both ways before stepping out onto the road crossing, rolling my eyes at the prattling coming from my overprotective Mother. “Omma, I told you, my lectures go all day. How am I meant to go meet with her if I’m busy all day studying? You told me to take my studies seriously and I am!”

“It’s your younger sister, and her first time in Seoul alone. Can’t you just go to the important ones?”

“They’re all important.” I started stalking down the side of the busy sidewalk, the evening air feeling cooler now that it was getting closer to the winter months. Pulling my oversized jumper closer to my body, I attempted to tell myself that I wasn’t still shivering. My outfit had clearly been a choice of style and not warmth that morning.

“And so is Yoohye! Park Yoomi, I didn’t raise you to be ignorant.”

“Can’t Aunt Minsook entertain her that day? Even though it’s a Saturday, I’m very busy with my studies at this time of the year.” I glanced around the area, smiling to myself as I spotted my desired venue. “Look, I have to go. I’ll call you tomorrow and arrange something.”

“Yoomi-ah!” I hung up before my Mum could continue, my smile now growing into a grin. I could see it more clearly and I had to restrain myself from running in my boots, remembering the last incident with heels ending in pain. Yet my pace quickened as fast as it could and I scooted into the bus stop, taking a seat and staring up at the man waiting for me.

“Did you miss me?” I asked him, smiling brightly. He smiled back and I felt all my woes from the day disperse. “I’m so glad to see you today; it felt like I would never get to see you.”

He continued to smile down at me, and it was enough comfort to make me sigh happily. I sat there for a moment, taking in all his glory. I had first laid my eyes on him two and a half years previously, from afar at first. He was everything I wanted in a man, perfect in every way. He was tall and incredibly attractive, so he gained a lot of attention for his looks. He was also athletic, and under the plaid shirt he was wearing, I was aware of a serious set of chocolate abs. But aside from that he was honest and caring, and even if he was a little foolish at times, he knew how to genuinely make me laugh. From that first sighting, I knew I had to never let him leave my heart.

Convincing my parents to let me move to Seoul to be closer to him had taken an entire year, but finally they had caved and I was living the dream. Especially since I got to see him every day. I couldn’t wish for anything more than what I had gained, and knew one day we would be truly together.

“This Saturday I get to see you perform.” I cupped my hands under my chin and lifted my knees up to balance myself, staring up into his face. “It’s been awhile, but I’m so glad you’ve finally got a comeback stage. I wouldn’t miss it for the world; I’m even giving up showing my sister around for you. But you know I would give up anything for you, right?”

That ever present smile continued to shine on me and I closed my eyes happily, forgetting all about how cold I had been before. It felt incredibly warm right here. Reopening them, I turned my attention to a group of middle school girls all staring in my direction.

“It’s Lee Joon, isn’t it?!” one of them cried and the other three nodded equally as excited. “Wah, I truly didn’t believe you when you said his picture was hanging up here but I take it back. I’m definitely going to use this bus stop more often!”

Scrunching my face up in annoyance, I gave them all a severe look and they scampered off giggling and talking obnoxiously about MBLAQ. Once they were gone, I turned back to his face and smiled brightly. “Fangirls, eh?”

“Miss, are you catching this bus?” an older man asked a moment later and I shook my head softly. Though his distraction from my thoughts made me check my phone for the time, a gasp emitting from me as I realised it was twenty to ten.

“Ahh!” I cried and jumped up; crying as I awkwardly twisted my ankle. “I’m going to be late for dorm curfew! Changsun-oppa, I’ll see you tomorrow!”

Taking off down the street, I hurried as fast as I could towards the intersection, panicking at the thought of another night locked out of the dormitory. Too many times had that occurred to me, and I realised just how cold it was, knowing I’d have to take the risk of running in order to not spend the night away from the comforts of my own room. The last thing I needed was to get sick for my date on Saturday.

Reaching the corner, I teetered dangerously before pushing the button to signal my right to cross. It didn’t change and I bashed it impatiently, my almond orbs darting at the traffic level in both directions. There was a break in the flow and I let out a squeal, rushing out onto the crossing. I almost made it to the other side but a car appeared out of nowhere, its bright headlights blinding me. Covering my face and waiting for the impact, I fell to the ground with a thud. For a moment everything was silent and then I opened my eyes, looking around myself. I was still alive. Getting to my feet shakily, I squinted into the headlights and then remembered my haste.

“I’m sorry!” I yelled with a quick bow, rushing the rest of the way off the street and towards the dormitory two blocks over. The gates were still opened when I finally made it and with a triumphant cry, I ran all the way up into the building. Catching my breath inside the foyer, I took the elevator to the fourth floor and walked down to my room, opening the door and not even bothering with the light. After removing my boots and changing into my pyjamas, I flopped down onto my bed, wincing in pain a moment later.

“Ah, you idiot you just got hit by a car,” I scolded myself and gently shifted under the blankets. Settling into the bed next to my giant teddy bear, I sighed and closed my eyes.

Tomorrow I’d worry about any injuries.

 

I awoke with a startle, my tired focus suddenly becoming alert when I realised someone had actually entered my room. I sat up and held my blankets to my chest, my eyes widening in shock. “Yah! What are you doing in a woman’s room?!”

The man didn’t answer however, his glum expression examining my room as if I wasn’t even there. Another soon joined him and I was instantly concerned, watching as the girl broke down in tears. “She seemed very ah, dedicated to popular music.”

“Sh-she was,” my best friend stuttered, muffling a sob within her hand. “Mr Kim, what will happen to all of Yoomi’s belongings?”

“I’ll get a couple of you to pack them up for her family,” the man said softly to Soyu. “They will be arriving at the school later today after they finish with the preparations for her body to be taken home for the funeral.”

“What funeral?” I asked, dropping my blanket and climbing out of bed. “Is this some kind of joke? I’m right here and my parents are in Cheongju!”

“I just can’t believe she’s gone!” Soyu exclaimed, a hearty wail leaving her petite frame. The administrator stepped forward to comfort my friend and I stood there, stunned.

“What is going on?” I breathed, panic rising within my chest. I stepped closer to the pair, trying to grab Soyu’s lower arm and pull her to face me. Whilst I managed to touch her, she didn’t budge. I yanked harder, but nothing happened. I skipped a breath and rushed to the mirror by my dresser, gasping at what I saw. A deep purple bruise was on the side of cheek, and my skin was a deathly shade of white. Checking the rest of my body for obvious signs of injury, I found a few more bruises, but nothing was seemingly broken.

I glanced back at the pair, the man stepping away and patting Soyu empathetically on the shoulder. He left the room and the girl fell to her knees, tears streaming down her cheeks. “Mi-ah why did you have to go off last night to that stupid advertisement in the bus stop eh?! Why did you have to be so reckless and run close to curfew because of Joon?! Now you’re dead and I have to face the world without my best friend!”

“Hey,” I said, crouching beside her. “I’m right here.”

“I wish you were here!”

“I am.” Frustrated, and not wanting to believe this bizarre scenario, I pinched my forearm, wincing in pain a second later. Rushing to the door, I hurried down to the courtyard, knowing by now it would be full of people. My blue bunny sleepwear would be enough to gain instant attention. Climbing up on a bench I outstretched my arms. “Who can see me?!”

I wasn’t met by a single response. Students walked back and forth, all following their path for the day. I tried again, but was still not acknowledged. Bewilderment flared up within me and I dashed back into my room, breathing heavily. Soyu was still there, but now had boxes. Ignoring her, I put on a change of clothing, grabbing my bag and then left the building for more evidence. Jogging along the path I had taken the night previous, I reached the intersection I had been hit at, my eyes searching for a sign of the collision. It was fruitless though; if there had been any evidence, the roads had already been cleared. I sat down on the curb in defeat, my focus dropping to my lap.

It was all a weird experience.

Just as I was about to get up, something caught my eye and I froze momentarily before shakily reaching down for the shiny object. I tried to pick it up but my fingers wouldn’t grasp the necklace, frustration soon settling in again. “It’s just a coincidence! Someone else must have lost one too!”

But I couldn’t mistake it as anything but my own. I remembered how foolishly happy I had been with my first purchase in Seoul, a silver necklace that held two letter pendants, a C and Y that both had a tiny diamante on them. Letting my hand hover over the necklace, I reached up with my other hand to feel my neck. It was empty. The tears began to fall then, the sick feeling of death washing over me.

I had been hit with a car last night. And unlike my original thoughts, I hadn’t gotten back up.

 

___________

Korean Words...

* Omma: a common way to say mother in Korean.

* Oppa: a term that younger girls use when referring to older men they are close with.

 

Author's Notes...

Thank you for those who already subscribed and waited for the first chapter. I'm glad you're all here and I hope you are as excited as I am over the start of this new fiction! Pretty interesting first chapter right? I hope you all enjoy our first glimpse at Park Yoomi, she's certainly special :)

Special thanks to weerainbow/Maggie for being so lovely and following this story as soon as I mentioned it's existence!