Chapter 28

My Afterlife with Lee Joon

 

Chapter 28

 

I glanced around the area slowly, my eyes wide with fear. The smell of rubber filled my nostrils and I noticed how close I was to a dark vehicle. Rounding the car, I felt incredibly sick. I wasn’t sure how I was standing where I was, but I continued to make my way to the front of it, a strong urge propelling me forward.

There was a body crumpled on the ground in front of the car, a pool of blood steadily running through her dark, wavy hair. I attempted to swallow back my scream, dropping to my knees in amidst of the chaos. Her eyes were closed and she appeared to be dreaming, though her injuries spoke otherwise. I could tell by the angle of her pale leg that it was broken and needed attention. My focus travelled up the familiar slender frame, and back onto her face.

“Camille!” a voice shrieked, and I glanced over the girl to see her friend on the ground sobbing. She reached out for the brunette’s arm and shook it. “Millie!”

I assumed the rest of her sob filled talk was asking the unconscious girl to wake up, and when she didn’t she got more active with shaking the unresponsive body. A man came forward and pulled her away, trying to calm her down. The sound of sirens slowly grew louder and I became more concerned as the seconds went by with how much blood was now soaking through my leggings.

“Hey! Where are you going?!” another voice cried and I squinted up into the headlights above us, the driver of the car quickly reversing away. It was then when I realised a small crowd had formed around the scene of the accident. I memorised the number plate just as the dark car spun around, and watched as a couple of bystanders pulled out their mobile phones to ring about the disappearing driver. I glanced back down at Camille, wondering what had happened for her to be hit down by a car like I had.

The thought in itself made me frozen.

The ambulance arrived a moment later, and I numbly got to my feet, following Camille’s sobbing friend into the back and sitting down in the corner. I watched on quietly, not quite comprehending the entire situation. Did this happen to me also? Was there anything that the paramedics could have done as the vehicle returned to the nearest hospital? Or was I already in a bag by this point? I hated the questions that engulfed me at that moment, but the overwhelming need to remain at Camille’s side prevented me from running away.

Again I was blinded by the white lights of the stark hospital, the familiar sounds of numerous doctors and nurses surrounding the American on the gurney feeling like déjà vu. I stuck by her friend who trailed along, hoping that I could be of some comfort, even though I was progressing into a state of panic of my own. I didn’t even know this girl, and yet I felt as if I was meant to be here. I followed the medical team into the emergency room, watching as they removed the blood sodden clothing from Camille’s body and attached numerous machines to her. They started beeping almost as loudly as the doctors were yelling out orders, a nurse giving over a progress report on her stats.

My eyes widened when the beeping sound rang solidly through the room, and I wrapped my arms tightly around myself, dreading the sickening possibility of her heart never starting up again. I didn’t want Camille to end with the same fate as I had, and I willed her to wake up, to keep fighting.

It was then that another person entered the room. I glanced at him, his silent watching on making me assume of the kind of person he was. I stalked up to him. “Why are you here?!”

“For the same reason I came for you,” he answered casually and then nodded to the machine still droning. “Her time may be up.”

“No, it’s not! It can’t be!”

He regarded me for a moment. “She’s suffering big injuries Park Yoomi, and her soul is starting to be released. Soon, she’ll join you in your realm.”

“Can’t she come back from this?! Isn’t there a possibility she can remain alive?”

“Why is this so important to you?” he enquired and I blinked at his question. He leaned in closer. “Why is her living something you crave? Do you know her?”

“It feels like I do.”

“And so you would choose for this person to live, whilst you so readily died. Why?”

I couldn’t answer. He smiled. “You’ve intrigued me. The connection with this girl is evident though. Perhaps you have some purpose here after all.”

Again I blinked, and realised the man had disappeared from the room. The hard working doctor charged his defibrillators and placed them over Camille again, and the beeping noise changed. I stared unblinking at the situation at hand, the doctors all relaxing slightly at Camille’s heartbeat returning.

It appeared as if she would live.

 

I had followed Camille to the intensive care ward after her surgery was completed. It was much quieter in the room, and the lighting was dimly set unlike the rest of the hospital. I relaxed in the lighting, and took a seat next to her bed, her friend having found an interpreter that was now asking the head nurse for information.

“She has a broken leg, ribs and suffered from internal bleeding. Her head was also affected from hitting the ground hard and so the doctors believe she is not yet stable enough to say how much of a recovery she will make. I’m sorry, I can’t give you any assurance that Camille will wake up again.”

I tuned out her friend’s sobbing and glanced back at the girl in the bed. She was almost as white as the sheets that surrounded her, except where bruises had already began forming on her body. Her broken leg was propped up in a sling for elevation, and although she was still, her face showed discomfort. I wondered how much pain there was after surviving such a horrific accident. A small part of me realised that I was glad I had died, and hadn’t gone through the injuries and uncertainty her life now held.

Shifting closer, I leant over the girl hesitantly, and then reached for her hand. It was barely warm and I sighed. “Camille, you don’t know me. I don’t know how I know you. I think there’s a connection between us though. I’ve been following your life for some reason I cannot comprehend, but I guess it was in the lead up to this event. It makes it seem as if life is already pre-planned for some things. I believed I died because it was the only way I would meet the love of my life. Now, as I stand beside you, I’m not so sure. Was I destined to die for something else? I don’t think I want to discover that yet.” I stopped and took a shaky breath, tears streaming silently down my face. “What I do know is that if there’s any will within you to fight, I hope you can. I will try to figure out my place here, but I need time too. I’ll be back tomorrow, I have someone who will be as equally worried about my whereabouts right now.”

Giving her hand a gentle squeeze, I moved away from the girl and out of the ward. Slowly I made my way to the hospital exit, aware of the new faces around me. I hadn’t even thought to find the same kind of people as myself within the building before, but tonight they stuck out everywhere. Their eyes all watched me silently, some giving a weak smile, another turning away sharply. It was uncomfortable and I was glad for the fresh night air when I was finally outside.

I wandered aimlessly in the direction I hoped would be home. I didn’t pay attention to my surroundings, and the slight tug of people walking right through me only amplified my existence. I didn’t want Camille to end up like me. It was easier for me, I had adapted. I wondered if Camille could do the same in a foreign country. Shaking my head, I eradicated any thoughts of her following my path into this realm. I wanted her to live, I needed her to. She was doing more with her life than I ever had. If anything it would be a waste for her to die so young. Death I found had suited me. I had no real complaints and was happy with my predicament. It made me miserable to think of Camille doing the same as myself.

Eventually I somehow made it home. I put the key code into the door and pulled my shoes off, barely glancing at how ruined they were. Instead, I lifted my eyes to the space in front of me, my gaze falling on Changsun standing up and then stopping half way in making his way to my side. I knew I would look like a complete mess.

Tears fell from my eyes then, and were soon followed by the sound of wails. I was amazed that such noises could come from me. Arms encased around me and held me tightly. I clung to Changsun’s warm body, relishing in the comfort he gave my otherwise troubled self. I realised again how much he made everything alright, and I wondered if Camille had someone like him to do the same in her life.

I instantly pulled away at the thought.

“Why are you covered in blood?” he asked softly, fear thick in his voice. “W-where did you go?”

“Do you believe everything happens for a reason?”

“Yoomi, you’re scaring me.” He looked at me, his body soon trembling. “What’s going on?”

“I started dreaming about a girl a few weeks ago. A foreign girl, who I had never met before. She lives here in Seoul. At first I just followed her life; I felt comfort in her company when you were at work. I copied her plans and went out places she had been to in my dreams. I thought she was just fictional.” I closed my eyes and tried to settle my emotions. “Tonight I was dragged from you by her I think. She was hit down by a car, just like me.”

“Oh my god.” His knees seemed to buckle and he fell down on them. I glanced at his reaction and then slowly knelt beside him, finally aware I was shaking. “The driver tried to take off, but I think people who saw the accident reported him. I followed her to the hospital; I watched the doctors work on her.”

“Did, did she uh, did-”

“She’s alive, and in intensive care right now. Her chances of survival aren’t good,” I answered and he didn’t respond. The more I talked, the more my thoughts nipped at me to accept them. I sighed. “I always thought my death was because it was how I would meet you. I really believed I was still here because of you.”

“You are,” he instantly replied and finally caught my gaze. His eyes, though filled with tears, were determined. “You came for me.”

“But-”

“You’re covered in blood, come on,” he interjected, taking my hand and pulling me back up with him. He silently led me down to the bathroom and closed the door behind us. Leaving my side momentarily, Changsun the shower and then pulled a towel out from the cabinet. He then turned to me. I knew he was still scared with the thoughts hanging over both of our heads. He reached out for me and then hesitated for a moment. He took a deep breath and grabbed the bottom of my top. I allowed him to peel it from my body, and my pants too. It was the most he had ever seen of my body and for a second he just stared, and then turned away blushing.

“I won’t look, hurry and get into the water before you freeze.”

I didn’t argue with him, taking my underwear off and then stepping into the cubicle. I peered out at the boy who didn’t leave the room. I guessed he was too scared to let me out of his sight at present. It relaxed me, and I watched as the blood stained the water around the drain. I didn’t even realise just how much of Camille’s blood I had gotten on myself until then.

I showered quietly and then turned it off, reaching for my towel and tying it around my body. Tapping Changsun on his shoulder, he turned and stared down at me, before cupping his hands around my jaw and kissing me passionately.

I didn’t address the situation that was still unfinished. I knew he wasn’t ready to hear it. Even if I knew it made sense, I stubbornly didn’t want it to. And so I followed Changsun upstairs and sat on the floor as he methodically blow dried my hair for me. I changed into my bed clothes afterwards, and he removed his top before we both slid under the blankets. I moved closer to him, and Changsun shifted me so I could place my head over his chest. His heart was beating quickly, and I ran my hand softly over his smooth skin, waiting for it to calm down. He soon did and after kissing his chest lightly, I closed my eyes.

I wondered if I could ever give him up.

_________

 

Author's Notes...

So I've decided to post before getting stuck into more study for the day so you didn't have to wait too long for this chapter! And it's a huge chapter to end the week on. It was rather difficult to write this time around, given the recent car accident that killed my father (I started this story and Yoomi's demise before my Dad's passing on) and so I've been emotionally involved in this chapter a great deal. I look forward to all of your responses to the changes here. Also, I won't be here to post on Tuesday as I'm going away for a trip and won't have internet access (if I do it won't be long lol) so there will be ONE chapter in a week's time now. Sorry to keep you waiting!

Replies...

@AeroRyuu; Your feeling was correct!

@Kate; Well I'm sure he had bigger issues to worry about than telling his band members that he was dating Yoomi.