Chapter 20

My Afterlife with Lee Joon

 

Chapter 20

 

I snuggled in deeper to his body, sighing in content. Changsun’s arms felt strong and comforting, encasing me within them like a home. I smiled again at that thought, Changsun was my home.

“Are you alright Mi-Mi?” he asked and I nodded against him. He chuckled and it vibrated through his chest. “Could you get any closer to me?”

“Let me try,” I said with a giggle and pressed everything that I could against him. Changsun was laughing by now and I couldn’t help but join him. I then happily bit my bottom lip whilst grinning.

“Why are you doing that?”

“I’m just so glad we’re finally together, like this. You have no idea how much I’ve wanted this,” I stated and he gave me a look. “Okay, so you do know just how much I have. But I’m just glad you feel the same way, even though I am dead.”

“You’re very real to me though,” he mentioned, grabbing my hand and entwining our fingers together. “I didn’t expect to fall in love with you, but I have.”

I stared at him then and noticed the change in his eyes. I anticipated the feeling of his lips on mine and they brushed ever so softly over them. I savoured the experience, hoping it would occur again.

But it didn’t.

Frowning, I realised Changsun’s arms had disappeared. I opened my eyes and blinked rapidly, wondering why he left me. And then I noticed it was morning.

It was just a dream, I thought sadly and propped myself up on the couch. 

“Sleep well?” A voice asked and I glanced over my shoulder to see Changsun in the kitchen eating toast. He grinned. “You seemed very happy about something.”

“I was,” I agreed, though opted not to tell him exactly why. I smiled brightly. “I was on an exotic beach enjoying myself. Kind of sad to wake up to this reality instead.”

He seemed a little put out by this and went into the bathroom. My smile grew further and I got up, heading to the kitchen to get a drink of water. Just as I closed the refrigerator, I heard Changsun’s text alert go off, noticing he’d left his phone on the bench. I stared at the device for a moment and then listened to the sounds in the bathroom. He was actually taking a shower for once. Tip toeing over to the phone, I glanced over my shoulder and then at the screen. The message was from Yonggg~ who I assumed was Jung Yonghwa from CNBLUE. I knew they were quite close, and my curiosity started to build.

“Wonder what he’s texting so early about?” I said softly, picking up the phone gently. I looked at the locked screen, and typed in the pass-code to the front door. It worked. Feeling incredibly stealthy, I opened the message and frowned. “Just tell me who she is, you can’t keep me hanging.”

I looked up and shook my head. “What is he talking about?”

Going back into the inbox, I noticed a row of texts from Yonghwa. I hesitated before snooping further, reading his replies. It was clear that Changsun was discussing girl issues with him. I tried to decipher if he was talking about Jihyun. Yonghwa mentioned a few times that even though the situation was complicated, if love was present, any obstacle could be overcome. Just as I was about to check his outbox to see if I could figure what Changsun had been discussing with his friend, I heard the shower switch off and decided my time was up. Hastily checking the latest message as not read and locking the device, I all but threw it back onto the bench. Luckily for me, I managed to even pick up my glass of water before Changsun entered the living area.

“What’s up with you?” he asked as he rubbed his hair dry with a separate towel. I swallowed roughly, and for once it wasn’t due to his lack of clothing. Though this reaction was enough to make him think it was. Changsun grinned. “Get ready; I want you to come to work with me again today.”

I didn’t argue, and hurried to get prepared, meeting him at the front door when he was ready. He smiled to himself and we took the elevator down to the car. Changsun glanced at me and then tried not to laugh at something that was clearly making him feel good. After the third glance with him then stifling back his enjoyment, I turned to him.

“What is so funny? I’ve not got my clothes in the wrong way and I don’t look silly, so what is it?”

He busied himself with pulling his phone out of his pocket and I tried not to be obvious about the text on the screen. Changsun discreetly replied to it and put it away again. He then looked at the driver and ensured he was speaking through his thoughts. “You said that you were rebelling. How come you came along?”

“Ah.” I inwardly groaned at my compliance. I had been so distracted by the texts I had read that I hadn’t even thought twice about his request. I nodded lightly. “I’m taking a ride.”

“Do you even know where we’re going?” he wondered curiously and I looked at the window and nodded again.

“I’m going shopping in Kangnam. You’re going to the studio for more practice.” I was clearly right by his expression. I smiled again. “Who’s texting you?”

“Just Yonghwa.”

I was glad my suspicion was correct. “Anything interesting?”

“He’s just helping me with something.” Changsun darted his focus out the window and then undid his seat belt. I realised we had pulled up at the JTUNE building. “Well, have fun shopping.”

“I will,” I replied, waiting for him to get out of the car first so I could think of what I was going to do about getting more information about Yonghwa. I noticed he was watching and so I climbed out and waved brightly.

I would have to face that later once I was done getting proof of my excuse for following him.

 

It was an antagonising wait until Changsun returned home later that evening. I had gone to the effort of changing into my new jeans and pink rabbit tee that I had gotten out shopping, and even put on the red woollen beanie despite being indoors. It was quite comfortable and I soon took to the wooden floor in front of the couch with my special notebook. I had gone to the dorm earlier and found a bunch of notes waiting for me, so I was currently sticking them onto the pages, smiling to myself at Cheolyong’s relief that I hadn’t left. I focussed on each note for some time before sticking them in, hoping that would fill in time now that I was finished cleaning.

“I’m home!” Changsun called out as I was sticking in the last couple and I jumped up excitedly, before slipping as my socked feet didn’t balance well. Letting out a cry, I smacked my elbow on the floor and my hip too. Even though I had learnt that it never actually hurt when I did something and it was simply out of expectation, I irrationally winced in pain. Changsun was soon at my side and crouching down. “Where does it hurt?”

“My hip!” I wailed and then gasped as I was suddenly hoisted up from the ground. Blinking once and then staring at Changsun in shock, I travelled in his arms up to the second floor and was placed gently on the bed. I blinked again as he sat down and studied me.

“I swear you’re clumsier than me,” he murmured and continued to examine me. I felt uncomfortable under his scrutiny and wrapped my arms across my body shyly. I wondered if I ought to have picked something more feminine than cute so he could appreciate what he was seeing.

“I’m fine,” I voiced quietly and averted my eyes. “Thank you.”

“Why are you cringing like that?” he asked and I shook my head. “And why are you holding yourself defensively? Yoomi, you’re not exposed anywhere.”

I felt stupid for my reaction. “Maybe I’ll take a rest.”

“Why are you embarrassed right now?” he repeated and I glared out the window at his persistence. “Now you’re annoyed!”

“I don’t want to talk.”

He poked me and I snapped my focus to his amused expression. “Mi-Mi, are you feeling shy?”

“No.” I turned away again.

“Yes you are, but why?”

“You just looked me up and down!” I finally blurted out. I lowered my head. “I look like a dongsaeng and not a woman!”

He was quiet for a moment and then he started to laugh. I knew he wouldn’t take me seriously and started to glower again. Clearing his throat, Changsun’s hand reached for my chin and lifted my head up. “Yah, you are a woman.”

“I liked this outfit because it was cute, but now I’m regretting it,” I mumbled and he laughed again. “Stop it, I feel like I’m a kid.”

“You’re so silly,” he announced and pulled me into his arms. I was surprised for a moment and waited for Changsun to let me go. He didn’t though and I hesitantly wrapped my arms around him. “And the outfit is cute, but I like it. You’re my little rabbit. Mi-Mi Rabbit!”

I sighed and tried to pull away but he held me there. “Aish, now I am a kid to you!”

He shifted back a little and smiled, kissing me on the forehead before getting up and walking back downstairs. I remained where he had left me, in shock again for the third time that evening. My hand slipped to my head and pressed gently where he had pecked me before letting it fall back to my lap. I tried to decipher the gesture, comparing it to others I had in the past. Flashes of my parents kissing me goodnight on my forehead filled my head and I groaned loudly, kicking the blankets in annoyance. He had meant it in a caring manner, and it only iterated how I was feeling.

I refused to remain looking like a kid to Lee Changsun.

 

I felt restless when Changsun went to bed so I opted to stay up a little while longer, sitting on the couch deep in thought. My eyes lazily took in the items in the room and finally fell on my book on the floor which was now closed. At first I was too distracted to take notice of it, but when I realised there was a pen next to it, I climbed off the couch and sat down in front of it.

Opening the book, I scanned each page to ensure Changsun hadn’t messed with it again. I stopped on his page, the line that ran right through some of his words. Nothing had changed on the page, his feelings still left unfinished. I took a deep breath; it was still like that really. I moved through the book and the last three pages were fine. Sighing again, I went to close it up when one of the post it notes fluttered out. Remembering I hadn’t quite finished earlier, I picked it up and went to put it back in the book. I blinked rapidly, finding a message on the page where it had been sitting.

Park Yoomi isn’t y.

I gaped at the top of the page and reread it, scrunching my face up. Changsun could be so cruel. I looked at the note in my hand and frowned, knowing it had been one I had already stuck in. Moving onto the second note on the page, I lifted a corner and found the tape I had used was only left in one part. Again, another scribble was there.

Park Yoomi is always cute, or annoying.

“Oh this is just!” I couldn’t even finish my sentence, so outraged by the messages. Snapping the book shut, I folded my arms over my chest in a huff. I then eyed the scrapbook, remembering there was a third note in there. I hesitated, not wanting to read any more insults. I was already in half a mind to go up there and hit him in his sleep. But my curiosity was awake and I turned back to the page, lifting the note up. I smiled brightly and hugged the book, before reading the final message again.

I love Park Yoomi even if she is cute and annoying.

___________

Author's Notes...

Sorry everyone, I'm unable to stop for long... it's really late here and I'm still behind in study. And this means I've yet to write more... so I'm unfortunately only able to post every Tuesday until I get more done. Better than nothing I hope!! Thank you everyone for your messages, I'm glad you're liking the new interaction between Changsun and Yoomi... the above chapter is another cute moment, but I can assure you things are changing! 

And that's all I can say!! I better go collapse in bed now >_>