Chapter 16

My Afterlife with Lee Joon

 

Chapter 16

 

I rolled over in the bed and realised I didn’t feel the warmth of Changsun like usual. In fact as my hands explored the bedding whilst I kept my eyes closed, I found that his side was cold. Finally opening my eyelids to the morning, I frowned instantly at being the only one in bed.

“Did I sleep in?” I mumbled to myself and stretched out my limbs, wincing as the pain from last night’s activity came back to mind. I scrunched up my nose in annoyance, not wanting to remember how long it took to clean the laundry. I vowed from that moment never to complain about washing again.

Climbing out of the bed, I padded sleepily to the balcony and stopped mid way at taking the first step down. Turning back to the rail, I leant on it and watched the concentrating boy downstairs. He wasn’t dressed so I knew I hadn’t slept through his alarm clock. And he was seated at the kitchen counter, writing furiously into a book.

It instantly dawned on me what book it was.

“What are you doing?!”

He shrieked at my outburst and the pen scribbled over the page. Dashing down the stairs, I took the opportunity of his shock to yank my possession away from him. I then looked at him reproachfully.

“I cannot believe you Lee Changsun!”

“Why are you angry?! And do you mind not frightening me half to death? Unlike you, my heart can stop beating from a heart attack still.”

“And I’ll give you one if you ever touch my book again!” I clutched it to my chest protectively. “You should be thankful that I didn’t destroy your precious television when I was last annoyed with you. Now, I think I shall!”

“Would you just calm down?!” He grabbed my arms and shook me gently. “You’re being overdramatic!”

“Me?!” I cringed; my voice was an octave higher. Taking a deep breath, I tried again. “This is mine, not for you to scribble nonsense in it!”

“Have you even had a look at what I’ve written?” he said and then shook his head. “No don’t, not until I’ve left. Aish, and I was trying to be so quiet about it too.”

I hit him over the head. “Sneaking around isn’t nice!”

“Now you know how I felt last night to hear that you’ve been to the dorm lots!” He let out a huff of air. “I’m really busy today, so I best get moving.”

Changsun thumped up the stairs to get changed and I walked over to the couch to take a seat. Glancing over my shoulder to see if he was watching from above, I pulled the book gently away from my chest. It was still open from where he had been writing and I started to read the words.


Yoomi,

I’m useless at telling people my feelings. I don’t even know why you get enjoyment out of Cheolyong and Seungho’s notes. They don’t even say much! But since you helped me with the laundry last night, and reacted the way you did, I thought I would leave you one. After all, you shouldn’t have to turn anywhere else but to me for these things, right?

Don’t tease me for this.

Thank you for making living here enjoyable. Thank you for taking care of the tasks I’m too tired to do. I noticed how you hung all my clothing by colour in the wardrobe, it was really helpful. And knowing that I’m not coming home to an empty house each night makes the transition from the dorm not even a problem. I think the others miss me more than I miss sharing with Sanghyunnie. Heh!

Life’s been weird since you arrived but I like the change. I like having you around. I guess I am indebted to you now and want to make sure you are happy. If a note is what it takes, well I got up early just to write this. Right now you’re snoring upstairs. But I feel the need to make sure you’re okay. Will you tell me how you’re feeling? I know I don’t express what’s on my mind as much lately, but let me tell you that-


“Why did it have to end there?!” I cried and then covered my mouth as I looked upstairs to see if Changsun was still there. He wasn’t and I let out my breath.

“I told you not to read it until I was gone,” he reminded and I squealed, leaping in fright as he appeared in front of me. He sighed. “And it ended there because clearly it was meant to. I’m off to work now.”

I jumped up and followed him to the front door, scooting in front of him. “I want to know the rest!”

“That’s all there is,” he replied casually and I groaned in frustration. He folded his arms across his chest. “I need to go, so move.”

“Will you please tell me what you were going to say?!” He didn’t respond. “If I move away from the front door?”

Changsun smiled and reached out to ruffle my hair. “Be good.”

He then stepped out of the apartment and I stomped my foot in annoyance. I half wondered if I ought to race after him, but even if others couldn’t see me, I didn’t want to venture outdoors in my duck pyjamas.

I would simply have to wait until he was home.

 

Time was dragging slowly and by lunch time I was sitting in a spotless house. The book had continued to distract me even when I was cleaning the bathroom, and I kept rereading his note over and over so much that I now knew it off by heart. Which only irritated me more. Like Changsun, I liked solving the answers in my head, especially when they seemed to affect me more than I’d like them to.

It was so hard to keep the romantic notions at bay with the final sentence being the way it was. I could only imagine a thousand ways he’d confess his love for me, my deluded brain running off with me much like the pen line slipping off the page. It was by accident but still a real mark that was getting to me. Of course it didn’t help that I had been playing MBLAQ songs all day as I occupied myself.

Changsun would not be allowed the chance to escape my thoughts today.

However it was hard to be sitting in the apartment as time barely ticked by and I soon decided to head over to the dorm for my kind of “fresh air”. Not taking the usual path, I shifted there immediately, smiling brightly at the sink of dirty dishes.

“Brilliant, something to do!”

However, my mind soon slipped to Changsun and I dropped a plate, listening to it shatter across the floor. Swearing profusely, I simply stood there for a moment and wondered how to fix the mess I had just made.

“What on earth?!” a voice exclaimed and I spun to see Byunghee standing in the entrance of the kitchen. He swallowed roughly and then took a step into the space. “Yoomi?”

“I’m sorry!” I cried and then cursed again at the fact that he couldn’t hear me. So I reached for his hand. It was the next best thing I could think of.

“Ahh!” He recollected himself and then tried to smile. “Were you trying to stack the dishes?”

I tapped his arm in hopes he would take it as a reply. He did.

“Let me clean it up so you don’t cut yourself.” Byunghee crouched down and I watched on feeling disheartened at causing a mess that I couldn’t clean up. He was silent for a moment and then he chuckled softly. “A couple of months ago I would have freaked out over this. But I’m actually happy you’re here today. I’ve got good news; I’ve been offered a role in an upcoming drama. So today I’m reading over the plotline to see if I like my character. It feels kind of surreal to think of me doing something but singing, but I’ll give it my best if I accept the role.”

I hesitated before hugging him, hoping Byunghee would understand my reaction. Thankfully he did. “You’re happy too huh? I’m glad. It’s nice having someone to speak to. I called my Mum but she’s busy today. Your appearance has helped me.”

I sighed and reached for one of the bits of crockery in the dustpan. He watched as I dropped it back in and smiled.

“Don’t worry; it’s just a broken plate. Thanks for the hug too. I better get back to it; just don’t go breaking anything else, will you?”

He stood up and emptied the dustpan before heading back into his room. After stacking the dishes without any more mistakes, I decided to leave, finally feeling the affect of Byunghee’s acceptance of me. I was so elated I nearly bounced all the way back home. By the time I reached the apartment building, I was giggling uncontrollably. I couldn’t wait to tell Changsun about it all.

However, my mood drastically changed as I stepped out of the elevator. Standing outside the door was Jihyun, and I instantly balled my fists up, wondering what she was doing. I had no issue with infiltrating her thoughts and her sickening voice soon met my ears.

I wonder when he gets in today. He hasn’t been answering my calls and I’m feeling pretty desperate. But surely he contacted me because he wanted me back. Even after cheating on him, he reached out for me. Changsun’s just playing hard to get. I’m sure I can remain patient. She smiled warmly to herself and nodded once, slipping a note under the door and then started walking back in my direction.

As she approached me, I felt so angry that I would burst. So I did the first thing that came to mind and stuck my foot out to catch hers. I didn’t expect it to actually work but she soon let out a shriek, teetering in her pumps before falling to the tiled ground. I stared wide eyed as everything was silent before she let out a loud whimper. Sitting up, she cradled her right arm to her chest and scrambled to her feet, rushing towards the elevator. I felt dreadful, and stared at my hands, wondering what to do.

Eventually I made my way into the apartment and sat on the edge of the couch, feeling completely wired up. Time elapsed faster as I repeated the accident over and over in my head, trying to justify my cruel reaction. There was no answer except my jealousy and protection of Changsun. I was disappointed in myself; I had never been violent towards others in the past. But Jihyun rubbed me the wrong way.

The door opened suddenly and I glanced up as if I had been caught in red handed. Turning slowly to look at Changsun, I chewed my bottom lip. His eyes connected with mine and for a moment, he became incredibly concerned. I then clamped my eyes shut and buried my head in my arms.

“So I’ve been at the hospital tonight,” he mentioned softly. “Did you not worry about me? I’m late home. I thought you would have contacted me, Yoomi.”

I couldn’t respond, though the sounds of his bare feet somehow grew louder as he approached me. Slumping down on the couch, he sighed heavily.

“I got a phone call from Jihyun. She mentioned she had been over here today and tripped up as she was heading to the elevator. She’s broken her arm in two places.”

My head shot up then and I could tell I looked completely guilty. “Is she going to be okay?”

“Why did you trip her up? Is your jealousy that out of control? I thought you were a nice girl Yoomi, not one of the obsessive sasaeng fans.”

“I-I.” I stopped, feeling as if he had punched me in the stomach. I lowered my head. “I didn’t mean to.”

“Why did you though?” he persisted and I stared at the floor. “Yoomi, what provoked you to-”

“She’s after you again.”

“And let me guess, you know this because you read her mind!” Changsun groaned loudly.

“She’s the one who cheated on you! Why are you defending her?!” I caught his eye and he seemed to freeze. It gave me the power to continue. “Now I get why the others all hate her! And the depression an-”

“Stop it.” He got up, and was visibly shaking. Looking at me, he shook his head. “You’re not who I thought you were.”

He then turned his back on me and walked up to the second floor. I sat on the couch, unable to move. The tears began to fall mutely, and I wondered just what would happen next.

I had a feeling that things wouldn’t be the same.

 

_________

Author's Notes...

I'm so sorry everyone! I'm "supposed" to be on holiday. Instead I'm packing my house up because we have to move next Thursday! Aigoo it's frustrating! We have been given little notice so I've literally not been near my computer. So I'm going to make sure I post on Sunday and then Tuesday. We will be disconnected from the internet as we switch over, and I don't know how long it will take to shift but I'll endeavour to leave a message. I'm also sorry I can't reply to your lovely messages - it's 12.20am here and I was up at 7am "yesterday" so I'm rather tired! Thanks everyone for your support and I hope you enjoy the new progression in the above chapter. Turmoil after the message - you were all wondering what happened to Jihyun! And who likes Byunghee's acceptance of Yoomi? So cute I thought! Oh and for those wondering, my final exam went okay, I spoke with my lecturer afterwards, she said I would be passing the course, so that's a relief, haha! See you Sunday - I hope!!