Chapter 21

My Afterlife with Lee Joon

 

Chapter 21

 

It took me three days before I was able to get my hands on Changsun’s mobile phone again. He wasn’t exactly the easiest to get by and I had come to realise he watched me more than I was aware of. Unless that was because of the clothing I had been wearing lately. Although he had written those notes, I had been careful to pick out skirts and dresses over jeans and tees. Even if I had of been able to feel the climate properly, with the spring weather around the corner I was suitably dressing to the conditions.

He had also been really busy with work, especially with the recording work on BLAQ%. I hadn’t been able to keep up with all his show appearances and album work, so I didn’t know when I’d get an actual chance to get near his phone. However it was already seven in the morning and I frowned at the alarm clock not going off upstairs. For the past few nights I had been sleeping on the couch, which had annoyed Changsun. But I felt uneasy sharing a bed with him after everything that had happened. It was odd, I thought I would have embraced being beside him.

Creeping up to the second level, I went to tell him he hadn’t set an alarm when I noticed his mobile on the dresser. I paused, darting my eyes back and forth between him and the device. Picking it up quietly, I entered the code and went straight to the outbox. There were no messages in there and I had to try really hard to be quiet and not voice my annoyance. Exiting it and going to the inbox, I found a few more texts from Yonghwa. One in particular stood out to me.

I’m sick of not knowing who this mystery girl is! You talk so fondly of her yet you tell me I can never meet her? You’re greedy and keeping her all to yourself!

I read it over several times and tilted my head to the side. I tried not to over-analyse it too much, though I wondered if he meant me. After all, Changsun couldn’t exactly introduce me to Yonghwa. He’d not only look stupid for pointing to otherwise an empty spot, but talking about a dead girl to someone was about as logical as mentioning you have imaginary friends.

I scrunched my nose up and tried to guess who this other girl in his life was.

“What are you doing?” His voice was incredibly close and I screamed loudly, letting go of the phone and spinning around. I crashed against Changsun and he caught me before I fell, whilst watching as his phone slipped back onto the dresser. For a moment everything was still and I didn’t dare move away from the position I was in. And then Changsun lifted my head up away from his chest. He looked at me expectantly. “Well?”

There was no excuse that would make the crime sound any better than it actually was. He hadn’t let go of my chin though, so I couldn’t avoid his penetrating gaze. Changsun reached around me and grabbed the phone. It was clearly still open on the text I had been reading and he then turned back to me.

“Snooping? Yoomi, that’s almost as bad as reading my mind.”

I swallowed roughly. “I don’t have any excuse to give you for my behaviour. I read something the other day and got curious. It’s been eating at me so I decided to take another look.”

“You’re being honest,” he observed and I nodded into his hand. He let me go. “What am I going to do with you? Are you really going out of your mind?”

“Maybe I should go stay at the dorm for awhile until I get my behaviour in check,” I suggested and he shook his head firmly.

“Running away never solves anything.” He sounded so fatherly at that moment and I sighed, hating how young I was feeling of late. I really needed to stop being so silly and act more mature and charming. Then perhaps he would be able to put me out of my misery and tell me if he actually wanted to do anything with me.

“It’s not running away,” I objected and he gave me one of his trademark stern glances. I scrunched my face up and tried to move away. Changsun reached for my wrist. He led me over to the bed and made me sit down whilst he towered over me.

“I didn’t want to have this conversation with you, but you’re acting really odd and I want the old Yoomi back. I’m not sure why you’re feeling so insecure when I haven’t left your side. Where has your trust in me gone to?”

I looked down at my hands, feeling told off yet again. “It’s me I don’t trust.”

“That’s clear,” he agreed and crouched in front of me. “You need to go back to being fun Yoomi who is always one step behind me. Okay?”

I didn’t exactly get what he meant but I nodded anyway.

Changsun smiled and got back to his feet. “Pack an overnight bag and wear something nice, I have to go on a trip and I want you to come with me.”

“Where are we going?” I enquired and Changsun shrugged.

“Not sure, all I know is that it’s to do with the children and the advertisements for the new Mum. Which I’m still not supporting in the slightest. I’m a good Dad!”

“I wouldn’t know, I haven’t been watching the show,” I admitted and Changsun stopped what he was doing.

“You said you were!”

“I’ve been busy finishing off watching a couple of dramas when I’m using the television.” I smiled lightly. “And I started rewatching You’re Beautiful again.”

He pointed at me. “When we get back from this trip, you will be so in love with the children that you will have to go and watch every episode! Do you just tune out when I’m talking about them?!”

“I’ve been a little preoccupied.” I focussed on packing my stuff, feeling a little bad for putting my own emotions and problems ahead of his. I promised from that moment on I would pay more attention to his career. Admittedly, when I was just a fan I had it down to an art, but since being in his company, I found him more interesting when he wasn’t at work.

I decided with today’s trip, I would return to having more of an avid following in MBLAQ.

 

The morning was hectic. I felt a little underdressed when I heard the stylists at the beauty salon mention tuxedos being the outfit of choice for the five members, and watched on silently as they got them ready for being on camera. I also took the time to borrow some of their makeup and ensured I looked presentable. I had really let myself down look wise lately.

“The children are here!” someone called out and I glanced over at Changsun who caught my eye. He smiled and nodded towards the area everyone was looking at. Three toddlers came running into the room and the cameras captured it all, their happy faces showing they were excited to see their “Daddies”. I had to admit that Changsun was right, they were all gorgeous. It made sense to why he said he had spent money on them now.

As soon as MBLAQ caught sight of the children, they all sought out their attention, picking them up and cuddling them. I could tell their lively behaviour wasn’t just for the cameras and that the five men all loved the children dearly.

After awhile the cameras were turned off so they could finish getting ready and I waited outside the changing rooms for Changsun to be dressed. He stepped out in his suit and smiled at me. “How do I look?”

“Uh.” I was speechless. I didn’t want to tell him my first thought. He was already having issues with my feelings, that telling him that he looked ready for a wedding wouldn’t have sat very well. I smiled all the same. “Good.”

“Just good?” he wondered with a pout and I nodded.

Cheolyong stepped out of the cubicle next and noticed Changsun’s gaze. “Where is my favourite friendly ghost?!”

“Right here,” I mentioned, stepping closer to hug him tightly. He flinched but let out a little laugh, and was smirking at Changsun when I pulled away.

“Oh Dayoungie, you’ve had your hair done, look at you!” Changsun suddenly exclaimed and I turned to look at the girl he had picked up. Cheolyong stepped forward to fuss over her too, but she continued to stare at me silently. I frowned and then waved. She returned it.

“Who are you waving at?” Cheolyong asked and she pointed at me.

“Ah, G.O-Daddy!” Changsun stated and I turned to see the older MBLAQ member behind me. But Dayoung shook her head and started pointing again. The others didn’t pick up on it and walked away with her, chanting about Poporo and ice-cream.

I wondered if the little girl had actually seen me or not.

 

I sat in the RV bus as the crew and MBLAQ travelled to the unknown destination, watching on as they animatedly entertained the children and each other on the trip. It was weird to be there though, as Leo had started to notice me also. He was quieter about it, and I assumed he thought I was just a member of staff. In hopes the children wouldn’t react to me, I didn’t involve myself in anything whilst the camera was rolling. Changsun seemed concerned and I knew Seungho had picked up on it and so when they finally got a break, I watched as the eldest took Changsun aside and chatted to him. I attempted to go closer to them but I felt a small tug on my green and white striped knitted dress before I walked off.

“Da-Dayoung?” I stuttered and she smiled up at me. I then crouched down. “You can see me?”

She nodded. “You’re pretty.”

“Really?” I grinned. “Thank you, I think you’re very pretty too.”

“Are you going to be my Mummy?” she asked I was taken back, my eyes seeking out Changsun for a moment. He was watching intently, quietly conversing with Seungho still.

I shook my head softly at the little girl and smiled again. “You should go play with the others okay? And can you do me a big favour?”

She nodded happily.

“Can you not tell anyone about me? I’m a secret so shhh!”

She mimicked my gesture of putting her finger to and shushing. I nodded and she ran off to Lauren and Leo, ignoring her promise and talking and pointing at me excitedly.

Seungho and Changsun soon approached me and I looked at them both expectantly. “I hope I’m not going to cause problems.”

“She’s here hyung and saying she’s worried about causing issues,” Changsun mentioned and Seungho nodded.

“The kids can really see you Yoomi,” the eldest mentioned with a sigh. “I’m envious, we all wish for that gift too.”

“I guess it’s true about children picking up on their sixth sense,” I mentioned and after Changsun repeated my statement, Seungho nodded.

“Our trip is looking more and more interesting.”

I smiled. “I just hope the Mum’s are nice. Dayoung asked me if I was going to be her new Mummy. I was quite shocked.”

Changsun didn’t repeat what I said, but simply stared at me. I waited for his reaction, yet he only blinked out of his gaze when the producers called them over.

I wondered what had gone through his head at that moment.

________

 

Author's Notes...

This chapter was meant to be up yesterday & I tried to post it but with AFF having server issues I couldn't get in. Nevermind, it's here now! As for this chapter, we're getting somewhere, aren't we?! Changsun is really showing Yoomi that she needs to stop doubting that its her he's thinking of. Should get quite interesting from here! And weren't the kids a cute addition? Hehe. Again, sorry for only posting on Tuesdays now... I wrote one chapter the other day... hoping after my assignment is done I can write some more :)

I also write a one shot and posted it in the weekend, but it's not showing up atm... I hope the link is still correct. It's a Kangin (Super Junior) one and has horses in it... ahhh, korean idols and horses - the perfect mix! Haha. Anyway, if you have some time and the link works, please read Soaring Hearts here >>>http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/251339 if it doesn't work, I'll just repost it again soon. 

Replies...

@Kate; you're so full of rubbish I want to smack you around the head with a rubbish bag! Haha. Now you don't have to wonder, it was Yoomi ^_^

@Hafsa15; Indeed! They're so cute! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!