Chapter 5.

My Afterlife with Lee Joon

 

Chapter 5

 

Stepping back into the MBLAQ dorm after my shopping session felt so much better. I couldn’t wait to change into one of my new outfits, and had trouble deciding which one. Although I knew deep down an outfit wasn’t going to change Changsun’s mind about letting me stay, I hoped he wouldn’t look at me in the same way he had before leaving. Like I was a pest. Even if I had to truly leave, I wished for it to be on nicer terms. I eventually went with an oversized striped jersey and leggings, making sure my new slippers fitted well too. Looking in the floor length mirror, I was pleased with how comfortable I looked. After styling my slightly wavy dark hair with a section tied up on my head, I felt much back to normal.

“Now, I better make the beds before the boys come home.” I giggled at the statement, wondering if that’s how a wife felt waiting for her husband to return from work. With this thought in mind, I lugged the blankets to their respective doors, making Seungho’s bed first. It was a lot harder than I ever remembered it being, but I managed to get the blankets looking much better than they had been. I continued into Cheolyong’s room, still marvelling at his book shelf as I worked. I knew I’d have to check out his collection sometime soon.

“Byunghee-oppa, here I come,” I announced, rolling up my sleeves as I started to feel the exertion of my chores. I pulled the sheets into his room, reaching over his large mattress and trying to get the heavy sheets back on. Falling over with exhaustion, I let out a dejected breath. I still had two more beds to make. Getting back up, I stuffed the sheet under the mattress, only for my hand to connect with some kind of magazine. I pulled it out, dropping it instantly.

It was like a train-wreck, my eyes were unable to look away from the horrific ographic images. Morbidly curious, I reached under to see if there was any more. Three other magazines soon lay beside the first. I was stunned. “Even if you are a man with needs, what is so wrong with the internet instead of having this filth lying around?” Shaking my head, I put the trashy magazines back under their hiding spot. If I had suspected any kind of indecent behaviour from any of the boys, I would have imagined Cheolyong to be the main culprit. My mind travelled back to the stacks of manga, and I hoped they were all the innocent kind.

I left the room quickly after folding the last blanket into place, and after washing my hands, I finished the remaining two beds off. Time hadn’t stopped and I was amazed that something my Mother would have completed in half an hour had taken me nearly three hours. I had finally realised that my generous habit for helping the boys in their realm was the reason I was having such difficulty in knowing how to grab anything. Whenever I didn’t think about it, I had no issues, though it was good that I was building some resilience. I knew if I had to, I could use it to my advantage.

Deciding it was time to eat, I went over to the bag I had full of my own groceries and put them away. I giggled a little, feeling bashful seeing my stuff in the boy’s house. I finally understood Hani from Playful Kiss and all her excitement about sharing a home with Seung Jo. It made my heart flutter just thinking of it all. After preparing myself a chicken salad, I sat down at the table with a glass of water and enjoyed my meal.

“Wah, I’m so tired I don’t even think I have the energy to wash up.” I glanced up at the sound of Sanghyun’s voice, not even hearing the alarm code in the door signal. I blinked a few times, wondering if anyone else was with him.

“You should though, after all that dancing. But I’m getting in first!” Cheolyong chuckled and darted for the bathroom, shutting the door loudly.

Placing down my utensils, I waited to see the one face I was most dreading. I was so nervous, I was sure my dead heart was trying to thump unevenly. Byunghee and Seungho were next to come my way, the second oldest taking a seat beside me. Flashes of my earlier discovery crossed my mind and I scrunched my nose up at him.

“Hyung, you look like you’ve seen a ghost,” Sanghyun stated and I snapped my focus to the boy standing frozen in the middle of the room. His eyes were wide with fright again.

“Hello,” I said politely, even giving a meek wave. I then shoved a mouthful of food into my mouth, coughing a moment later on some lettuce. Gasping for breath, I took a drink, feeling incredibly foolish. Finally I dared to look at the brunette, who was still staring at me. “I uh-”

“Okay, this is getting really weird now,” Seungho interrupted, scratching the back of his head. “My bed is freshly made, and it’s clean. I went and checked the other rooms and the beds were clean in there too. Someone has clearly been in here.”

“Really?” Byunghee said, shuddering at the thought. I pouted at his disregard for my good deed. “But who?”

“Joon?” Seungho said, although Changsun was still frozen in my direction. “Changsun-ah!”

“Wh-what?” he breathed, blinking rapidly.

Seungho frowned. “Are you sure there was a girl in the house?”

“She still is,” he answered, pointing in my direction. “She’s sitting next to hyung.”

“Impossible,” Byunghee replied with an awkward laugh. He looked in my direction with an uneasy expression all the same. “There is no one there.”

“How else do we explain it though? Changsun suddenly starts seeing a girl and our house is having changes made by no one?” Seungho nodded once. “Maybe we need to be more open minded.”

“Next will a magical fairy come visit us too?” Byunghee rolled his eyes. “I’m sorry but I don’t want to be scared by silly stories because you’re both tired. Maybe hyung hired us a maid and has forgotten to tell us.”

“When he’s home with dinner, let’s ask him,” Seungho agreed. The pair retreated to their rooms and Changsun slowly edged towards me, taking a seat at the table and leaning across to me.

“You’re still here,” he breathed, and I couldn’t tell whether it was a sign of relief or not. He certainly didn’t seem as angry. “Did you wash the bedding?”

“Mm.” I smiled and placed a bit of chicken in my mouth, trying to be more delicate than my last attempt. “I am the culprit who has been cleaning.”

“Why?”

“To show my gratitude to staying here,” I answered and sighed. “Though it takes so much out of me. You should know it took me hours to just do five beds. I even hung the blankets out to dry.”

Changsun took a moment to comprehend my words. Then he shook his head. “You can’t stay here.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’re a girl,” he said back and I grinned broadly at the words. “Yah, what’s so good about that?”

“You didn’t say it’s because I’m not alive.”

“I really think it’s the least of your worries right now,” he responded and I pouted.

“Can’t I stay? It’s not like I’m burdensome, right?”

He scratched his hair in frustration. “I’m going crazy talking to you. Why can’t the others see you, only me?”

“I don’t know, I wondered that myself.” I smirked and pointed my fork at him. “It’s not like a big manual fell from the sky and told me how to live. I just sort of ended up here.”

“You know, talking to yourself is one sign of illness, but talking to a chair is just that little bit crazier, hyung.” Sanghyun had approached us and Changsun leapt back in his chair in fright, the younger boy looking highly amused. “I never expected the fame to get to you in this way.”

“Seen your bed yet?”

Sanghyun nodded. “The others are marvelling at it, saying it looks like a woman’s work.”

“Well maybe because I am one,” I said, a little miffed by the nonchalant attitude Sanghyun expressed. Changsun glanced over at me and then sighed.

“Aish, really.” He got up and walked away then, the younger boy following him. I glared at my salad and began piercing the food angrily. I deserved at least a little respect for my efforts. Changsun looked as if he was starting to sway until his younger member came along too.

I wondered if I was going to have to resort to my Plan B.

 

After finishing my meal I moved to the couch, observing the five boys over their dinner. The previous talk of my existence was all forgotten about as they ate their food, Changsun purposely angling himself so he couldn’t see me either. It was frustrating, knowing that he was avoiding the situation. If I wasn’t so interested in keeping him by my side, I would have stepped back and seen it from his view. But I couldn’t give up just now; I had worked too hard in the short space of time.

Their manager retired to the bedroom soon after and the five boys all sprawled out around the room. I could see the exhaustion upon their faces; it was growing evident with their lack of conversation or movement. I knew they had tough schedules, but I was surprised to see just how lazy they were. The sink was full of plates again, and I sighed heavily, not understanding why they got takeaways and had to dirty dishes in the first place.

“I asked hyung about the beds before,” Seungho spoke up five minutes later, and I stopped scowling at the kitchen to pay attention to his words. “He said there was no one hired and that it was strange. He didn’t seem to be worried about it though.”

“How can you not worry about changes in the house?” Byunghee wondered and Sanghyun nodded.

“Remember those fans that jumped our fence just to get in to see us; I hope it’s not like that again.”

“Hyung,” Cheolyong called, shaking Changsun’s leg gently. “I’m willing to hear about this girl you keep seeing.”

“Don’t fuel it!” Byunghee sat up, waving his hands in disapproval. “Even if it’s true, we don’t want to bring bad spirits into the house.”

“Bad spirits?!” I exclaimed, Changsun finally looking in my direction. I got up and moved in front of the man. “I’ll show you just how bad I can be Jung Byunghee-ssi!”

I then stomped out of the room, finding what I needed and took the effort to carry it back to the living room. Cheolyong had sat up and his eyes grew wide, no doubt just seeing the items flying across the room. I stopped in front of Byunghee and dropped the magazines into his lap. He let out a shriek and I folded my arms across my chest.

“Who’s the bad person eh?!” I cried at the boy, Changsun’s laughter soon filling the room. I glanced over at the amused boy and let out a giggle, unable to stay mad at his cheerful expression.

The others were all stunned. Changsun finally recovered from his outburst, clearing his throat and then pointing at s. “Now do you believe me?”

 

___________

Author's Notes...

Things are getting interesting eh?! What do you think Changsun will do now? Furthermore, will the rest accept Yoomi?! Find out on Friday hehe... I'm pretty sick atm - live with a 6yr old germ ridden child who likes to pass it all on... so I missed yesterday because of that. I'm currently cooped up in bed right now, so thought I ought to get this up before I forget hehe. Thanks for waiting!

Replies...

@Kate; Haha Yoomi can't it's in her nature :P And his reaction is classic! thanks love.

@Rirakuma; I'm not sure why he can but she can't... not yet anyways :P Leaving it down to Fate I guess lol! I love Changsun in that chapter... feeling crazy and acting like he can't hear her words haha poor man! Hope you enjoyed this chapter too!