o19: Past

{Know Your Name}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the first time in a while, I had a good night sleep. Everything's going great, the misunderstandings have been cleared and there weren't anymore secrets between us. Feeling rather refreshed, I headed down after washing up. I drew the curtains around the house to let some sun rays in and tied my hair as I began cleaning up. The cushions were arranged neatly and our displayed prize possessions were dusted. I took a step back and was satisfied with myself. 

 

I went to the kitchen and began fixing up a simple breakfast for the oppas, egg mayo and ham sandwich. I took out the apple juice carton and filled all our glasses until the brim. Once I laid everything out, I went up and woke each of them up. 

 

 

 

"Yah, why are you in such a good mood early in the morning?" Maknae oppa grouchily asked. 

 

"Must I have a reason to be in a good mood?" I replied. 

 

"I guess your talk with Jay went well. I saw the both of you at the park last night while I was getting home." Maknae oppa answered my shocked face.

 

"Yeah, it did. All the misunderstandings have cleared up!" I have maknae oppa my eye smile. 

 

"That's good to know Wonnie-ah. But if he makes you bawl your eyes out again, he's gonna get it from Jiyong hyung!" Maknae oppa started immitating Jiyong oppa. 

 

 

 

I laughed at his antics and dragged him out of his room to wake up the other oppas. He chose to wake Youngbae oppa and Daesung oppa (like always). So I went into Jiyong oppa's room to wake him up first. 

 

His room was super neat. He hung his clothes in an order and organised his table neatly. Seungri oppa should learn from him. 

 

I carefully approached him and cautiously tapped his arm. He fidgeted but didn't wake up. Taking a deep breath, I continuously slapped his arm while repeatedly saying 'wake up' in his ear. I guess he got annoyed because he immediately sat up and ruffled his hair. 

 

 

 

"Would it kill you to let me sleep in awhile longer?!" A posses off Jiyong oppa half shouted. 

 

"Mianhe oppa. Go back to sleep then. I'll just give you breakfast to Seungri oppa then~"

 

"Aish. You're lucky that you're a girl. If you're a boy, I would have kicked you for disturbing my sleep." Jiyong oppa said as he walked out of his room to wash up. 

 

 

 

I went to Seunghyun oppa's room but to my surprise, his bed was already made. Maybe Seungri oppa already woke him up. 

 

I went down to the kitchen and took my seat. All the oppas were present and we started eating breakfast. Seunghyun oppa seemed a little off today. His dark circle was bad today and it looks like his mind was somewhere else. I kept eyeing him the whole time, I didn't know what I could possibly say to him. 

 

 

 

"Hyung, are you alright? You seem to be preoccupied with something." Daesung oppa took the words right out of my mouth. 

 

"Yes, I'm alright. Actually there's something that I have to inform you guys. Let's discuss it after we're all done with breakfast." He took his plate and cup and proceeded to wash it. 

 

 

 

Something to discuss? It seems serious though. What could it possibly be about? Did he get fired? Was he planning to get married to a girl we don't know about?! OMG okay let's not jump onto conclusions Kim Hye Won. 

 

 

Soon, all of us were done and once we've cleaned up, we went to the living room where Seunghyun oppa was. He has his eyes closed. Whatever it is, i think it really bothered him. 

 

 

 

"Hyung, what is it you wanted to tell us?" Seungri oppa asked. 

 

"Well yesterday, I received an email. From Kingdom Corporation." 

 

 

 

The room got real quiet. Kingdom Corporation? That's a name we haven't heard in a while. 

 

 

 

"The email was basically saying that they're coming back. And we have to go back." 

 

"What? This is bull. Why do we have to go and meet them?! We don't have to go back just because they said so! I'm not going back and neither am I meeting them." Jiyong oppa's eyes were filled with rage. 

 

"Jiyong-ah, don't be like that. They're still our parents and we should at least-"

 

"Parents huh? Do you remember the time they first broke their promise? They were suddenly a no show. Halmeoni called them again and again but they didn't even answer and then four months later they came here to pick us and pretended like the 4 months didn't happen, like no time passed at all. And they didn't even say they were sorry." Jiyong oppa cut Youngbae oppa halfway. 

 

 

 

I remember the incident. I was only 9. Omma and appa promised us that they would never choose work over family but they did. We stayed with Halmeoni but on the weekends, omma and appa would come and pick us up and we'd spend time together. But then one weekend they just didn't show up. No phone calls to inform us. Halmeoni tried contacting them but they were 'too busy' to come to the phone. Finally after 4 months, omma picked us up. She didn't say sorry to any of us for their sudden disappearance. She brought us back to our house and over dinner, she and appa told us we were moving to China. It was a given, all of us were in shock. First they just disappeared for 4 months (which we learned was due to the China expansion project) and then they told us we were going to live in China. Seunghyun oppa, who was only 18 at that time, stood up and bravely declined them. He said that he was going to live with Halmeoni and nobody was to stop him. He went up to his room and Jiyong oppa followed suit. And one by one the oppas went to their rooms, leaving omma, appa, Seungri oppa and me. Then I saw the oppas coming down the stairs with their luggages and all. Me and maknae oppa were conflicted, we love omma and appa but we love halmeoni and the oppas too. Still affected by their betrayal, we ended up following the oppas.

 

 

 

"And don't tell me you forgot what happened in 2009. We tried to reach out to them when halmeoni's health took a turn for the worst but what did they do nothing. And when halmeoni passed away, they came back to settle the funeral and flew off the very next day! They didn't mourn and neither did they cry. And two years later when they told us their occupation, do you know how pissed I was? Being the president and managing director, they probably made a lot of money. And if they had just sent back some in 2009, halmeoni might even be alive today! Why were they so selfish?! Six grandchildren couldn't support their ailing grandmother, couldn't send her for treatment that could've extended her lifespan. And yet they had the money that we needed and they did nothing. I lost the little respect I had left of them that day."

 

 

 

Jiyong oppa's words brought up the unpleasant memories that should have been left buried. Halmeoni had some kind of heart disease and we couldn't afford the treatment for her. She had to settle for just medication. But when we found out what exactly our parents were working as, we were dumbfounded, furious even. A fraction of what they earned could've saved halmeoni's life. I mean we understand if they cut off monetary support as a 'punishment' for not choosing to go China but their decision was super selfish! They could've supported halmeoni, their elder, but they didn't. Jiyong oppa was affected the worst by halmeoni's death although we were all also close to her.

 

 

This would be our first encounter with them since halmeoni's funeral. I guess their China project is stable now that they're able to come and find us. I really dont feel like going back to that house. What's the point of that big house when all of us hates it. And that's the only connection we have left to our parents. We'd hands down choose the house we're living in right now to that since all the warm memories and love from halmeoni radiates throughout this house.

 

But I was curious to what they're gonna say. Like would they apologize? Or would they pretend (yet again) like no time has passed by? Aish I don't know but I guess we will find out. I'm a little scared though. Like now I'm saying that they're selfish and mean and all but what if the moment I meet them, all the negativity fades away. I want to still be pissed at them buy I don't know how long that will last. Maknae oppa probably missed them truckloads to remain mad.

 

 

 

"When are they coming back hyung?" Youngbae oppa asked.

 

"According to the email, today." Seunghyun oppa answered.

 

"I'll bet that they won't show up." Jiyong oppa rolled his eyes.

 

"Hyung, you are gonna meet them though right?" Daesung oppa asked Jiyong oppa.

 

"Halmeoni taught me my manners so I'll just greet them and then get the hell out of that place." Jiyong oppa stood up and started walking up the stairs.

 

"Well actually, they're coming here." Seunghyun oppa spoke out.

 

 

 

Jiyong oppa stopped in his tracks and looked at Seunghyun oppa. He exhaled a deep breath and stomped up. We could hear a loud bang when Jiyong oppa slammed his door. Daesung oppa excused himself to talk to his conflicted brother.

 

 

 

What were we supposed to say? What if omma and appa ask us to return? Even worse, what if they decided that we have to live in China with them?! Oh gosh, my head is pounding thinking about all these questions. I shook my head and waited for Seunghyun oppa to give more information, which he didn't.

 

 

Youngbae oppa sighed as he took his coat and left the house. He's probably feeling a mixture of emotions but he's trying his best not to show it. I could see my well composed Youngbae oppa cracking. Seungri oppa followed him out. I wanted to go too but then Seunghyun oppa stopped me. 

 

 

 

"He probably wants to be alone Wonnie ah, to organise his thoughts. He'll be good as new when he comes back." Seunghyun oppa said

 

"How are you holding up oppa?" I carefully asked him.

 

"Its not a big deal to me Wonnie ah. They're just a man and woman who happens to be our parents. Life has taught me so much the last few years and one important lesson we can all learn is that people make mistakes. No matter how big or small the mistakes are, we should forgive them. If everyone's perfect then we would be living in such a boring world. And there is no point for you to hold on to negativity either, it'll just chew you down. So I have forgiven them for their actions and I hope all of my dear siblings can do the same." Seunghyun oppa patted my head and went back to his room.

 

 

 

Forgive them? How do I even do that after what they did? Actually it's more like what they didn't do. Sigh~

 

 

I went up to my room and took a long, hot shower. That did the trick. It's sort of relaxing, making me feel at peace. I decided to wear a dress, I wanted to dress up a little. I want them to see how much I've grown up. And I want them to regret their actions, to see what they've missed out on. Selfish I know, but even the slightest guilt would be fine with me. I decided to have a movie marathon by myself to let time pass by. Sure enough, it was already 7.30pm without me realising. Having a Lord of The Rings movie marathon was a good idea after all. I was about to play The Hobbit when I heard the bell rang. Is it them...?

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter