o11: I'm his what.......?!?!!?!

{Know Your Name}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Young Master, please wake up. You have school today." a maid was trying to wake me.

 

"Arasso. Give me 5- no 10 more minutes." I sleepily negotiated.

 

"But Young Master, you will be late-" the maid continued to wake me.

 

"YAH OPPA. WAKE UP! You're supposed to send me to school today!" Jessica shouted into my ear.

 

"AISH. I said 10 minutes! It's not like-ow ow ow okay I'm awake now! HAPPY?!" I sat up, soothing the ear my evil sister had twisted.

 

 

 

I shoo-ed everyone out of my room and got up for a quick shower to start my day.

 

After taking off everything, I stepped into the shower. I could feel the warm water pounding against my back. The sound of the flowing water cleansed me of my problems, temporarily. But it was still there, nagging at me from the back of my head.

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

I came home feeling frustrated, confused, sad and angry all at once. Sad because I lost the rap battle, angry because of that Zelo guy, confused because of Jang Mi and frustrated because of my confusion and anger.

 

 

And it didn’t help that you have both your parents standing before you the moment you stepped foot into your house drunk.

 

 

 

"Jay it's 2 in the morning. Why are you only coming home now?" mother asked me in her patient, tender voice.

 

"It's my life, I decide how to live it. Since when did you care? Since when have the two of you EVER cared about me or Jessica?!" I retorted back.

 

"You decide how to live your life huh? So this is how you plan on living? Partying all night, toying with girls, not caring about the image of Park Associations or your academic results. If so, I wash my hands of you. When you have woken up from this nightmare you're living in, find me." father spoke. He walked away after that, most probably to his study.

 

"Jay honey, don’t take your father's words to heart but don’t take it lightly either. Your father only want what's best for you." mother tried reasoning father's actions.

 

"Drop the act mother, you don't have to act all caring with me. Jessica and I have NEVER been important to you. You have NEVER cared. All you and father ever did was prioritizing your work over us." I let all the bottled up feelings within me out.

 

"Jay! How could say such a thing?! Who do you think your father and I worked so hard for? It's for you and your sister. We earn the money for the both of you to spend. We work hard to provide for you, to let you have whatever you want. Look, honey, there's something you need to know but with you being like this, I guess I won't say a word about it."

 

 

 

I got curious. Something I need to know? What was it? And mother seemed pretty serious about it.

 

 

 

"What was it?"

 

"It's not an easy thing to say. Your father, he uhm, h-he has cancer. The doctors only detected it recently. And uhm he, he is in the third stage. The doctors said that the cells are spreading rapidly and there's nothing they can do about it. All that we can do is pray and hope he'll be fine by taking his medications. We didn’t want to tell you or Jessica about this but you left me with no choice." Mother confessed.

 

 

 

I was dumbfounded. I was shocked. Although I was pissed at him, he was still my father and I do love him. How could they have hidden such an important thing from us, from me?!

 

 

 

"Omma was it true, every word that you said? About daddy has cancer?" Jessica appeared from the staircase. Apparently she had heard the whole conversation, from the moment I stepped foot into the house.

 

 

"Yes princess, it's true. Your dad uhm he wanted your Jay oppa to change, to be a man of principles, to be matured so that he can take over the company-"

 

"BUT I DON’T WANT TO TAKE OVER THE COMPANY"

 

"AND YOU'VE GOT NO CHOICE, god damnit Jay just listen to me. He wants to leave this world without any worries. He had a-already, given up hope for a miracle. So you're the only one your father wants to leave the company with. Do you really wish to see your dad name your cousin as the successor?! He pushes you to your limit for a reason." Mother finished.

 

 

 

I didn’t know how to react. How could father have already given up hope of getting better?! How could he have the thoughts of dying?! Did he eagerly wanted to leave his family behind? Was he that ashamed of me? That I'm his son yet I'm not as smart as he was? That I love to party and drink and play with girls?

 

 

I felt ashamed of myself too. The only reason I did all that was because I lacked attention from them at home.

 

 

I thought about the times when I was younger.

 

Every time I got a perfect score for a test or won a trophy of a competition, father would always have that look on him- that he was proud of me.

 

 

And I've not seen him look at me in that way for a long time.

 

 

 

"Fine. I'll do it. I'll study hard and get into Seoul University. I'll stop partying all night. I won't play with girls. I'll be the successor." I said.

 

 

 

I will show father I could be the son he had always pictured me to be.

 

 

 

I will be the son he was proud of.

 

 

 

"On one condition though. I would still be able to go to the hip hop club every weekend."

 

"J-jay honey. Are you being serious right now? Thank you son." Mother hugged me.

 

 

Was this how people felt when their mother hugs rhem? I guess I've missed out on too much. I hugged her back and Jessica joined in.

 

 

As I pulled away from the hug, I saw father in the 2nd floor looking down at us. He had a smile on his face and he wore the expression I've been craving for from him. 

 

 

I smiled and bowed, acknowledging his presence. 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter