sixteen.

all an act.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Today is the next day. Since Mayuka is "sick," she gets the day off.

Though she is not really sick, something is eating at her mind.

Is Riku going to show up today?

Ever since she woke up, Mayuka has been anticipating the inevitable. She knew just from past interactions with Riku that she is definitely going to stop by and take care of her, but she really does not want to. She really does not want to have to put on the sick act yet again.

And of course, at around 10:30, her doorbell rings.

Mayuka lets out a small groan as she heads towards her front door, getting ready to open it to spot Riku.

As expected, when Mayuka opens the door, Riku is standing on the other side.

"Hi," Riku greets her.

"Hey, come on in," Mayuka tries her best to be welcoming, but she really did not want to have to deal with this today.

Riku enters the apartment that was once shared by the both of them once again. What once brought unpleasant memories for Riku now brings exciting ones. 

"So, how are you feeling?" Riku asks as the two of them head over to the couch together. "Have you vomited any more since yesterday?"

"No, thankfully. I am feeling a bit better," Mayuka answers, though she wasn't really feeling bad in that way in the first place.

The two women sit down next to each other.

"Good, I hated seeing you like that."

How the hell did Riku buy that act?! Mayuka is an actress and all, but Mayuka is shocked that Riku believed her while no one else did. Even the director!

"Yeah, I hated feeling like that," Mayuka continues her 'sick' act. "I tried my best to push through the shoot but I just couldn't."

"Yeah, that's fair," Riku responds. "One time, about a year ago or so, I had a fever and I still showed up to act! Though people started to catch onto that I was feeling unwell so I had to be sent home," she chuckles at the memory. "I really didn't want to let anyone down."

"Yeah, that's how I felt," Mayuka responds. "Though I feel like I let people down anyway."

"You didn't let me down," Riku tells her, reaching out to hold her hand. "Sometimes people get sick and that's just a part of life! Better to not dwell on it and just keep going," she assures her. 

"Thanks," Mayuka smiles faintly at Riku.

"Did I let you down by accidentally saying your name last night?"

Mayuka is surprised that she brought that up, especially since Riku is supposed to be here to care for her.

"Why did you say that?" Mayuka asks, her warm feelings of affection quickly turning into frustration. She lets go of Riku's hand. "You messed everything up!"

"Mayuka, it was just an accident!" Riku defends herself, glaring at the younger woman. "I thought Kazumi, but Mayuka came out!"

"Maybe if you're such a good actress, you wouldn't mess up something as little as that!" Mayuka becomes even more frustrated, her emotions from last night making their appearance once again. "Saying the name of the actress instead of the name of the character is a huge mistake, Riku! And you've been acting for as long as I have!"

"Maybe if you controlled your health, you wouldn't have gotten sick and we would be finished with the whole scene by now!" Riku snaps, completely going back on what she said before.

"I control my health just fine! I had no control over whether or not I got sick! It just happened!" Mayuka tenses up. "I couldn't have just stopped it either! Even if I tried, I probably would've vomited on you! Would you have preferred that?!" 

"No! Of course not!"

"So be glad I ran off and ended filming! Would you have made the same mistake again if we continued?!"

"No! Do you think I'm dumb?!"

Their bickering then went silent.

Mayuka leans back, c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter