Victoria, My Best Friend

Follow Your Seoul

The heels of my favorite boots made clicking noises against the floor as I stepped out of the Incheon International Airport. I smile at the slight wind and crisp air that I felt.

It's been 10 years since I've been here--and that was with my parents. Now I'm back all by myself.

"Boo!" I heard.

What in the world? I turn around and was face to face with my childhood best friend who I have not seen in 12 years: Song Victoria.

"Oh, Park Jina! Come here you pretty girl!" she squealed and gave me the longest hug ever.

Victoria and I met when her father was in the air force and he was stationed where I lived back in the United States. Victoria was his only daughter and we immediately became friends when our teacher introduced her to the class.

She's actually a year older but because she was constantly relocated, her studies were behind too. After she moved, we kept contact through emails. After living in the states, she moved to China, her homeland, and now she's been living in Seoul for three years now. She never told me why she stopped being relocated but she happened to learn a lot of Korean.

"How's your English?" I asked her in Korean.

"Not too good," she giggled.

I glanced at what she's wearing: a huge poncho, baggy pants, a baseball cap, and sunglasses.

"Vic, why do you look like an ajumma?"

"I'll tell you on the way to the city. Come on!"

We get into an enormous van, the looking kind.

"Yah, is this the right car?" I asked.

"Yes, yes. Just get in," she said then closed the door.

"Oppa! This is Jina, my best friend" she said.

From the driver's seat, turned around a guy in his early 30s.

I smiled politely at him then turn towards Victoria.

"Oppa? Victoria, is this your boyfriend? How come you didn't tell me?"

"Oppa isn't my boyfriend! He's my manager!"

"Manager?"

"Park Jina, what I'm about to tell you is not a lie."

"Go on."

"I'm a model."

"You're a what?" I asked her.

"A model."

"You're not joking?"

She placed her hand over her heart.

"Never," she said dramatically.

I laughed as we drove into the city. Seoul city, here I come.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
^__^