Chapter 2

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

There was no need for introductions. Everyone knew Kim Taehyung, even hermits like Yeon. There was no way Kim Taehyung was actually her neighbor. This had to definitely be some kind of bad joke.

"Speechless? Yeah I do that sometimes."

He flashed his signature smile and brushed his hand through his ruffled hair with confidence. Unsure of how to answer, Yeon meekly smiled and just continued to stare. It was the first time since her three years in the apartment that someone went out of their way to introduce themselves.

"And you are?"

"Yeon. Thank you."

With that Yeon began to close her door. Introductions were made, and that was the point. Yeon didn't do too well with strangers, especially good looking ones that were international celebrities. For a brief second, Yeon wished she went out if only to run into Kim Taehyung once in a while. Not because she thought she had a chance or that she was a crazy stalker, but one had to admit, when not greasy looking, Kim Taehyung was quite the looker.

A firm knock on the door interrupted Yeon from her thoughts as she turned back around. For some reason she found herself surprised that Kim Taehyung was still standing there, and with a smile on his face. Confused at what in the world was going on, Yeon stared at him and tilted her head to the side.

"That's it?"

Her eyes narrowed as she became even more confused. She wasn't sure how to answer.

"Um... I don't really like people."

An amused smile appeared on Taehyung as he leaned against Yeon's door.

"Christ you are a different one, aren't you?"

"Why are you talking to me?"

It had been a long time since Yeon met strangers. She wasn't sure how human interactions exactly went. It didn't matter how many times she saw it happen on TV, it was just so difficult when she had to actually figure it out in real life. In no way did Yeon mean to sound so uninterested or rude, that wasn't her intention at all. She was genuinely wondering why Kim Taehyung was at her doorway talking to her.

Taehyung on the other had was immensely confused. This was not what he expected when he introduced himself. He had made sure his neighbor was not a stuck up old money couple that would be complaining day in and day out about his constant comings and goings. Nor did he want some celebrity stalker or crazy girl that wanted to sleep with him, although that wouldn't be that bad if she was good looking. The building manager guaranteed his neighbor was quiet and uninterested, and would be completely fine with a celebrity neighbor. Uninterested was absolutely correct.

"I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. Like a good neighbor should?"

Yeon crinkled her lips to the left and nodded.

"Thank you?"

Taehyung straightened up from the doorway and held out his hand for a neighborly handshake. Instead of accepting, Yeon quickly shook her head no and took a step back from her doorway.

"Sorry, I don't do handshakes."

"Huh?"

"It's really nice to meet you, seriously. I know who you are and it's awesome that you're my neighbor, but yeah... I'm like ALWAYS home and I don't really go out, so yeah... You know?"

Completely puzzled it was Taehyung that shook his head in confusion this time.

"Anyway it was REALLY nice meeting you today. Seriously! You are as handsome as the press make you out to be! Damn it, no that's not what I meant, but yeah. Yeah. I'm Yeon and you're Kim Taehyung, and now we're neighbors. It's nice meeting you. Bye."

Quickly shutting the door, Yeon groaned in complete embarrassment as she leaned against the door and slid down in agony. It was a complete disaster, and this was exactly reason enough that Yeon made the right choice to never go out again. This is exactly what would happen, except probably countless times a day.

The sounds of footsteps disappearing calmed Yeon's nerves as she slowly went from sitting against the door to completely lying on the floor. A loud sigh and Yeon rolled away from the door towards the couches in the living room. It was another one of Yeon's many weird quirks. Rolling on the floor made Yeon feel better. She wasn't sure what about it calmed her, but she had been doing it ever since she was young. Rolling on the floor and crying in dark closets. It was as if all odds were against Yeon being a normal sociable person.

There was once again another knock on the door.

Yeon looked pained as she turned towards the door.

What more does he want from me?!

The knocking continued and Yeon lay with her ears covered and eyes closed. Maybe if she ignored him he would give up. The knocking stopped and Yeon sighed as she opened her eyes. Instead of Kim Taehyung breaking into her house, it was Jungkook that was doing it. Yeon looked in horror as she stared at him from the ground.

"Yeon?... Sorry I let myself in. You always answer, and I thought something happened so I just--"

Although she would never admit it out loud, Yeon loved that Jungkook would call her Yeon instead of noona, despite the age difference. It was a little piece of heaven for her.

"No, no, no! Sorry I just thought you were... Yeah I thought you were someone else!"

Jungkook laughed as he walked in a bit and left a bag of chicken and a brown paper bag of something on top of the table situated next to her door.

"I brought you a salad too. You know, vegetables, they're important."

A small smile appeared on Yeon's face only to disappear quickly. Jungkook looked taller than usual and Yeon immediately realized she was still lying on the floor. Jumping up, Yeon looked in embarrassment as she dusted herself off but gave up half way and sulked forward instead.

"Bad day?"

"No I just made a fool out of myself."

"I'm sure you're exaggerating."

Yeon was sure she wasn't.

"You need to give yourself a little more credit, Yeon."

Although very much like Jungkook, it was always surprising when he tussled Yeon's hair like she was a child. She hated it and loved it for reasons that were too complicated. It was always so close and she could smell the detergent on his clothes that strangely seemed like they had been dry cleaned straight with no creases, stains, or even a fiber out of place. On the flip side Yeon was stiff as a stone and always froze up. Yeon sighed but not the "A really dreamy guy is so close I could smell him and I wish this could last forever" kind of sigh, but the "I really at being human and I wish I was a cat" kind of sigh.

"Wishing you were a cat again?"

Yeon nodded helplessly.

"I know I'm just your chicken delivery guy, but I would think after three years we might be friends, so I'm going to give you some friendly advice."

"Are we friends?"

Jungkook gave a disapproving look with his perfect face.

"Yes, I would hope so. Look, you never give yourself enough credit. You are a funny, smart, beautiful girl. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Yeon crinkled her nose, a habit she picked up whenever someone complimented her, which Jungkook was very much aware of. He smiled and winked as he ruffled Yeon's hair once more and headed for the door.

"Thanks, Jungkook!"

"Anytime."

Just as Jungkook opened the door a hand was frozen in the position to knock. Surprised, both men jumped backwards and Yeon stood staring in horror. Kim Taehyung was back. Again.