Chapter 10

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

That weekend was when the Kakao messages began. Seokjin was diligent in keeping the conversation going. Yeon not so much. Not because she didn't want to, but because she just didn't know what to say. But Seokjin was relentless. He constantly asked questions, replied in a timely manner, and seemed interested even in Yeon's single word answers. Yeon was sure the conversation would soon die, but that never happened.

Now that the two had begun messaging, Yeon found that Seokjin no longer went out of his way to say hello or contact. But every wordless smile was followed by a message. To say Seokjin was flirty was an understatement. For all she knew, Seokjin was like this with everyone. That didn't mean Yeon didn't look forward to Seokjin's messages.

"Yeon!"

Yeon jumped out of her thoughts as she put her phone down and looked over at Haekyung.

"Hm?"

Haekyung rolled her eyes.

"Didn't you just hear Hoseok? He said Seokjin sunbae is looking for you."

The room was too quiet for Hoseok to be there. Yeon looked around but he was nowhere to be seen.

"He just left you dork. What were you even thinking about so deeply?"

Yeon quickly picked up her phone and saw that Seokjin had messaged her asking where she was.

"Um, nothing."

"So? Are you going to go?"

"Go where?"

"To go see Seokjin sunbae! Oh my God, please pay attention!"

The exasperation on Haekyung's face was obvious. She quickly stood up and grabbed Yeon's hand as she dragged her towards the door of the classroom. There wasn't even any time to message Seokjin that she would be right there. Wherever that was.

"Where are we going?"

Haekyung kept dragging Yeon in a hurry.

"He's in the cafeteria."

Just as the two were rounding the corner towards the cafeteria, the two heard a conversation that both wished they could forget.

"I mean if it was Jin Haekyung, I would understand. But her friend?"

It was boy's voice. Not Seokjin, but someone else. Haekyung and Yeon both found themselves frozen on their feet. Neither had the courage to make the the turn around the corner. It was as if time had stopped.

This time another boy chimed in.

"I mean come on Seokjin. She's not really your type. I know the names of ALL the first year girls, and her. I honestly wouldn't have even noticed her if not for Jin Haekyung. Now that's someone I won't forget."

There was an agreed laughter. Yeon could feel Haekyung's grip on her hand tighten.

This time it was clearly Seokjin's voice.

"Yeah, yeah whatever. Jin Haekyung just isn't my type."

"So, ing hot isn't your type? Uh huh, sure Kim Seokjin."

The last thing Seokjin said was all they had to hear.

"Yeah Yeonnie isn't the hottest girl. She's also a little...plump?"

Everyone laughed. Including Seokjin.

At that moment Haekyung started to head toward the corner. For the first time in their friendship Yeon beat Haekyung. She pulled Haekyung so hard and started to run in the opposite direction. She was in shock if anything. It shouldn't have come across as a surprise, but it did. Mostly because Yeon allowed herself to be into a fantasy that was just that from the start. A fantasy.

Yeon didn't realize how fast they were running, and how many floors they had run up, but the two ended up on the rooftop of the school. The two were both gasping for breath, and finally Haekyung had the nerves to look Yeon in the face. She was scared that there would be tears rolling down her face. But Yeon just looked white.

"Yeon ah...are you...ok?"

There was no answer and Yeon just stared back at Haekyung. At that moment, Haekyung quickly grabbed Yeon's phone from her. She quickly blocked Seokjin's number and his Kakao.

"What a ing . Don't you dare ever talk to him again. He doesn't deserve even an ounce of pity from you, Yeon. And don't you dare think about forgiving that face!"

As if the muscles in her legs had given out, Yeon plopped down on the floor. She sat on the floor and looked up at Haekyung's angry face. It was then that everything came at Yeon like a truck. Yeon could feel her eyes starting to well up, and she immediately looked down. The tears didn't come spilling out like in the movies. Instead they were slow and steady, one right after the other.

Haekyung knelt down and hugged Yeon.

"Thank goodness you found out what an he was early on. Let's be grateful. That doesn't deserve my sweet baby Yeon."

Yeon was stiff as she cried into Haekyung's shoulder.

So that's why they were called crushes. Because they eventually crushed you. And Yeon was absolutely crushed.