Chapter 4

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

High School wasn't miserable and horrible for Yeon. It was actually a great time in her life, which she still had fond memories of. Mostly because she was one of the few that didn't have to worry about her studies, because it came so naturally. She only had the stresses of being a teenager, though that was more than enough. It was just regular teenage ordeals, but there was Haekyung and Hoseok so all in all, high school was surprisingly fun for someone so awkward like Yeon.

Haekyung was popular by modern day standards, but that's because she was so damn attractive. The only thing was that Haekyung didn't seem to care for popularity much. She loved the attention and was nice to everyone, but at the end of the day she liked to keep her small group of friends and that was okay with Yeon. Hoseok on the other hand seemed to know the whole world. He was like a more popular, spastic, and much more well connected Haekyung. He had friends from his hip hop crew, dance crew, fashion crew, and whatever other crews he was creating and joining. People were always messaging him and even in high school he would have to pencil you in if you wanted to do anything that took longer than 5 minutes.

It was these two people that were so different from Yeon, that she was closest with. Sometimes she wondered why either of them kept her around, but she could never figure it out. Then again, Yeon was there to witness Haekyung wear the same damn pink dress to school for a week in the first grade until a boy made fun of her for it and she punched him. She also saw Hoseok pee his pants because he didn't want to miss a single minute of Pokemon even though it was a rerun. On the flip side they also saw the best and worst of Yeon as well. Like the time Haekyung had to punch a girl for mercilessly teasing Yeon's bowl cut, which started off as a normal haircut from her mom but ended up having to go to a salon to fix the "cost saving" mistake. Being 16 was rough. Especially with a bowl cut, but Yeon had Haekyung. Then there was Hoseok who decided he would get the same haircut so they could be twins. At least he had good intentions.

But the best part of Yeon's high school memories was neither Haekyung or Hoseok. It was actually Seokjin sunbae.

He was also the worst memory.

It didn't matter how many years went by, Yeon could still remember with every detail the first time she met Seokjin sunbae.

It was Yeon's first day of high school, and one of the most nerve wrecking days of her young adult life. She was going from an all girl's junior high to a coed high school. It wasn't like Yeon was interested in boys or wanting to date or anything, but being around only girls for three years, one had to figure out how to act accordingly with the opposite . And Hoseok didn't count as an opposite .

At the time Yeon didn't think there were any benefits to living on the edge of the school district. She had to wake up much earlier than she was used to and her bus rides were almost an hour. But that all changed on the first day of school.

The bus she had to take was one of the first stops on the route so Yeon was at least lucky enough to grab a seat. As the bus door began to close and Yeon headed towards the back, she could see a giant flailing his arms as he ran towards the bus obviously screaming what seemed to be obscenities. Yeon quickly turned to the bus driver.

"Ahjushi, there's another student trying to get on the bus."

The driver smiled and nodded as he reopened the door. Yeon was already in her seat in the back when someone huffing and puffing came tumbling on.

"Th...th...thank...you."

In her own world, Yeon fumbled with her earphones as she tried to untangle the knotted mess. So when someone suddenly sat right beside her, she immediately jumped in her seat from surprise.

Yeon slowly looked over and there he was. The same guy that she had stopped the bus for. It wasn't certain if the running messed up his hair or if he had just gotten out of bed, but if anything was certain, he was classically handsome. Yeon couldn't help but to stare as he smiled at her mischievously.

"So...you stopped...the...bus, huh?"

He was still slightly out of breath, but he seemed pleased with the outcome.

Yeon looked around the bus, which had 3 other people on it, but here was this guy sitting right next to her. Too close for comfort.

"Sejong High? First year, right?"

It was then that Yeon realized he was somewhat wearing the school uniform. The jacket and tie in his hand, while the shirt only had two buttons buttoned in the middle. He was barely covered up with a little too much skin showing. He definitely had just woken up. He tossed his jacket and tie into Yeon's lap as he began to button up the rest of his shirt.

"Aren't you going to introduce yourself to your dear sunbae?"

Yeon bowed her head ever so slightly unable to turn away from his face.

"I'm Kim Seokjin. Third year."

Why is he so good looking? Why are his legs so long? Why are his shoulders so broad? Why is he sitting next to me? What is going on?! I LOVE my bus stop!

"And this is where you introduce yourself like normal people do. I introduce myself, and then you introduce yourself."

Yeon quickly shook her head to pull herself out of the daze she was in. In the loudest voice she could muster, which was barely under a whisper, Yeon blurted out the first thing to come to her mind.

"My name is Kim Yeon. I'm a first year and just graduated from Yemyung All Girl's Middle School, and I live at 130-9 Daedong-ro apartment number—"

"Oh hey, hey, that's enough information. You shouldn't tell random strangers on the bus your home address."

A contagious laughter left his mouth as he grabbed the tie from Yeon and quickly wrapped it around his neck. Yeon found herself smiling as well. She was such an idiot, but at least he was laughing.

"Thanks for holding the bus. My homeroom teacher would kill me if I was late on the first day of school."

Kim Seokjin's eyelashes fluttered as he looked down while tying his tie. Long slender fingers twisted and turned the tie as if from muscle memory, and Yeon found herself staring at his hands instead of his face.

"Not at all..."

Yeon answered. She finally pulled her gaze away and turned towards the windows, embarrassed he would realize how flushed her face had become in such a short amount of time.

"Well Yeon, it's your lucky day. You're going to enter Sejong High with none other than Kim Seokjin."

Turning back to face him, Yeon felt her face getting even redder as she met Kim Seokjin's eyes as they smiled at her with a genuine playfulness that placed all her first day nerves at ease. An unnerving but hopeful kind of ease.