Chapter 23

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

The sound of the doorbell awoke Haekyung.

 

She looked around and immediately noticed that someone had put a blanket over her. With her eyes only half open Haekyung headed to the intercom, which had Hoseok waving furiously. Without bothering to even say anything, Haekyung opened the downstairs entrance.

 

Yeon was still sound asleep on the couch, and just like Haekyung, a blanket was pulled over her. Kim Taehyung and Park Jimin were nowhere to be seen. Naturally, Haekyung’s head turned towards the hole in the wall, which was covered like the two strangers had never been there. Even the coffee table was clean. Haekyung shuffled towards the kitchen.

 

Empty alcohol bottles were lined up neatly against the sink along with an empty pizza box on the counter. Not only had they tucked the girls in, they had cleaned up as well. Just as she began to pour herself some water, the doorbell rung once again. This time, Yeon did wake up. She looked to Haekyung in confusion but immediately got up to open the door once she realized it was Hoseok’s face shown on the intercom.

 

“Damn, just woke up?”

 

Hoseok looked Yeon up and down and laughed as he flipped off his shoes.

 

“Why are you even awake this early on a Sunday?”
 

Haekyung took a sip of her water before plopping down back onto the couch.

 

“It’s 1 in the afternoon. I should be asking why you guys are just waking up.”

 

Like Haekyung, Yeon started to skim the coffee table looking for the mess that should have been there.

 

“Haekyung ah, did you clean up?”

 

“Nope. Not me.”

 

“Did you guys drink? Jin Haekyung probably did, but did you drink too, Yeon?!”

 

Hoseok’s face was clearly shocked.

 

Yeon nodded and took Haekyung’s water and finished off the rest.

 

“Jin Haekyung, is that why you ignored Namjoon all night?!”

 

It wasn’t unusual that Hoseok was invested in the two’s relationship. It was through Hoseok that Haekyung had met Namjoon. It was also Hoseok that seemed to be the reason the two would always end up back together any time they broke up.

 

“It’s not like we’re dating. I’m not obligated to return all his messages.”

 

“He’s coming over right now.”

 

Hoseok didn’t dare make eye contact with Haekyung.

 

“WHAT?! THIS ISN’T EVEN YOUR HOUSE?! DID YOU EVEN ASK YEON IF YOU COULD INVITE HIM?! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?!”

 

“What?! We’ve all hung out at Yeon’s tons of time with Namjoon. Yeon do you mind if Namjoon comes over?”

 

Hoseok turned to Yeon as she got off the couch.

 

“Not really. I’m going to go take a shower.”

 

“Oh my God, so am I!”

 

Haekyung rushed past Yeon to one of the guest bedrooms that might as well have been Haekyung’s personal room. There were extra clothes that Haekyung left in the closet and the hallway bathroom was stocked up with Haekyung’s own toiletries. It was because of all those nights that she slept over. Sometimes on accident, sometimes on purpose.

 

Four times.

 

That’s how many times Haekyung and Namjoon broke up in the last year and a half. It was like a routine for the two. They would break up, try to be friends, realize they couldn’t, get back together, date like lovebirds, fight, and breakup. Rinse and repeat. The reasons always varied. Sometimes it was about Haekyung’s work. Other times it was because Namjoon had to focus on law school. Whatever it was, what started off as a relationship where Namjoon was completely infatuated with Haekyung, seemed to one day have the roles reversed. It seemed to be one of the major causes of the recent breakups.

 

So there was no way Haekyung was going to show Namjoon her morning face even though he had seen it hundreds of times already. At least not now that they were both “single.”

 

By the time Haekyung casually walked out into the living room, Namjoon was already sitting on the couch. She took a seat next to Hoseok who was scrolling through his phone.

 

“Chinese? Korean? Pizza? Burgers?”

 

Yeon and Haekyung both answered simultaneously.

 

“Chinese.”

 

“How much did you drink last night?”

 

The tone in Namjoon’s voice was neutral, but that was actually the worse.

 

“Not too much.”

 

Haekyung replied naturally.

 

“Liar! I saw all the bottles in the kitchen! We all know Yeon probably had like 2 or 3 bottles of beer, and your limit is like 3 bottles of soju!”

 

Sometimes being best friends with Hoseok wasn’t easy. Especially when he was also friends with your ex.

 

“Yeon had some friends over. We didn’t drink that much.”

 

“Liar! I know all of Yeon’s friends! Minus Jungkook, the rest are here right now! And if Jungkook was drinking with you guys, he would have called me too!”

 

Hoseok squinted his eyes and stared at Haekyung cautiously.

 

“The only time you stop replying to my messages is when you get completely wasted.”

 

Still calm and casual, Namjoon smiled at Haekyung before looking down at his phone. He was the hardest person to read. It would one day probably make him a great lawyer.

 

“I wasn’t wasted.”

 

“Liar! I saw your morning face! You were definitely wasted last night!”

 

Afraid that Haekyung was going to punch Hoseok, Yeon quickly elbowed him roughly on his side. Hopefully he would get the hint.

 

“We’re not dating anymore so it’s not important who you were drinking with. I was just worried.”

 

It was then that Yeon realized that Namjoon had messaged the night before asking if she was with Haekyung. Yeon looked apologetically to Namjoon.

 

“Namjoon ah, I didn’t see your message until now!”

 

One of the break ups between Namjoon and Haekyung revolved around Haekyung getting black out drunk and almost being kidnapped by a client. It was the one time Namjoon had raised his voice with Haekyung and the only time that he initiated a breakup. It was also the reason he was so sensitive about Haekyung drinking and not letting him know she was ok. Even though it was true the two were broken up, Namjoon knew deep down that Haekyung would return to him.

 

“It’s all good Yeon. I’m just glad to see you guys are alright. So what does everyone want from Chinese?”

 

Hoseok started to tap at his phone as he read out the order.

 

“Haekyung wants jampong, Yeon wants jja jjang myun, I want jja jang myun, and you want jampong. And we can order one sweet and sour—”

 

Before anyone could marvel at Hoseok's mind reading techniques, the blanket on the wall flung open as Park Jimin made his grand entrance.

 

“Jin Haekyung, let’s eat!”

 

Completely thrown off by someone walking through the wall, Hoseok and Namjoon both jumped in their seats as they stared at Park Jimin.

 

“Ah! Ah! Jimin ah, what are you doing coming through Yeon’s wall?!”

 

Hoseok jumped up from the sofa.

 

“Hyung!”

 

“Hyung?”

 

Yeon and Haekyung looked at each other with wide eyes as they whispered to one another in worry.