Chapter 12

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

It had been years since Yeon heard Seokjin's name called. Seokjin was the definition of trauma for Yeon. It was the same year that her overall confidence dropped even lower than what it already was. It was also the year her parents got a divorce. It was a year of hardships, but like always, there was always Haekyung and Hoseok.

Haekyung knew there was nothing she could do until Yeon was ready to come out. There was so much to talk about, but Haekyung could wait. Still eating her chicken, Haekyung sat next to the closet and craned her head trying to get a glimpse of the TV she left on. Yeon was mostly likely cryin. Maybe a few years earlier, she would plead and beg for Yeon to come out and talk, but Haekyung soon realized that just wasn't how Yeon coped. So Haekyung waited.

It took about 30 minutes, but Yeon finally opened the closet and crawled out. She looked at Haekyung with puffy red eyes, but at least she was smiling.

"Did you eat all the chicken?"

Haekyung laughed. She grabbed Yeon by the wrist and dragged her back into the spacious living room. It was very much like Yeon in that it was lots of whites and grays. Pure and clean, a little sterile, but charming in its own right.

"You don't sound too upset that Seokjin sunbae contacted you..."

Yeon was careful with her words. She didn't want Haekyung to take it the wrong way.

Immediately, Haekyung's eyes lit up. She didn't smile, but there was a sense of urgency in the way her words came tumbling out.

"So Seokjin sunbae, somehow got my number from someone and he called me. I was super surprised, but we had a long talk and I really think you should meet with him. I think you guys would have a LOT to talk about."

"I thought you hated him..."

"Yeah I thought so too. But there's been some misunderstandings over the years, and I really think the two of you should make amends. Can't hold grudges forever, right?"

There was a hope in Haekyung's eyes. She scooted closer to Yeon as she nudged her on the shoulder. Yeon only sighed.

"Look at me Haekyung... I'm even fatter than I was in high school, and to meet up I would have to actually go outside and.... I'm just not ready."

"Yeon, you were never fat in high school, ok? As for now, well it might be good to get some exercise and bring your endorphins up! Maybe this will motivate you to go out. Remember Dr. Choi said that you can overcome this. It might take some time, but you can beat this, Yeon."

That's what her therapist, Dr. Choi, had been telling her for years. But here she was, still locked up in her safe haven.

"I don't think I'm ready..."

Haekyung looked exasperated. She put her chicken down as she her fingers.

"It's really up to you. But, just a heads up. Seokjin sunbae is going to call you today."

Yeon wasn't sure if she heard correctly.

"Wait, what?"

"I gave him your number."

Haekyung smiled innocently and picked up another piece of chicken.

"You what?! Jin Haekyung!"

"What! I couldn't LIE to him! 'Oh yeah sunbae, I don't know my best friend's number. Sorry!' Like that would work!"

Everything was going horribly wrong in such a short amount of time. Yeon completely lost her appetite as she got up to go wash her hands. She couldn't even be mad at Haekyung, because she was so lost in her thoughts about what she would do when Seokjin would call.

"Anyway! I came by to tell you that. I thought it would go over better in person rather than on the phone."

Haekyung yelled from the living room.

Yeon on the other hand stared at herself in the mirror. She didn't just gain a little bit of weight since high school, she gained A LOT of weight. Although she was 23 now, Yeon still felt like the insecure girl from high school. People staring at her and judging her. Unable to honestly like someone, afraid they were going to see all her faults. Yeon sighed before turning off the lights and heading back to the living room.

The chicken was on the kitchen table, and Haekyung was already grabbing her things.

"Thanks for dinner babe. Not like you can't afford it."

Haekyung walked over to Yeon and gave her a tight hug.

"It's going to be ok. I promise. So please... for me... answer the call."

There was no reply from Yeon, but Haekyung knew she would honestly think it over.

Only an hour or so after Haekyung left did the phone call come. It was an unknown cell phone number, and Yeon felt like it rang forever before she finally answered. She couldn't breathe, and she didn't even speak. It was complete silence for at least thirty seconds, until he finally spoke.

"Hi Yeonnie."

"Hi sunbae."