Chapter 9

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Seeing Seokjin had all the gear, they decided the taxi would go straight to Seokjin's apartment, and Yeon could walk home from there. The taxi ride was a good twenty minutes, but Yeon didn't mind. How could she? Seokjin slept on Yeon's shoulder the whole ride home, and Yeon, well Yeon remained a stiffened board scared she would wake him.

When the cab arrived in front of Seokjin's apartment, he was in a daze as he paid and unloaded his gear. Yeon nervously held onto the two mics that Seokjin had placed in her hands. It wasn't until the cab left that Seokjin finally seemed to be fully wake.

"Oh, here, give me those."

Seokjin grabbed the mics from Yeon and placed them inside his backpack.

"Yeonnie, wait here, alright? I'm going to drop this stuff at my house and then I'll walk you home."

"Oh no, it's ok sunbae! I can walk home alone!"

Seokjin grabbed Yeon's hand and placed his cellphone in hers.

"I'll be right back."

Yeon stared at Seokjin as he ran into the apartment. Assuming it would take at least a few minutes, Yeon sat down on the curb as she stared at the cellphone in her hand. Right at that moment the phone chimed as a Kakao message popped up on the screen.

Lee Mihyang
Sunbae, thank you for allowing me to duet with you today. I never thought you would ask me, and when you did I couldn't believe it. I know you said you—

The message cut off. Yeon felt her heart drop as she felt guilty for accidentally reading what seemed to be a very private message. She quickly turned off the screen and flipped the phone over before placing it in her lap.

It would be a lie if Yeon said she didn't want to know what the rest of the message said. But at the same time, she was scared too. Did the two like one another? How could they not. It was like they were born for each other.

"Let's go Yeonnie."

Yeon jumped up from the curb to see Seokjin running over. She quickly held out his phone, which he casually placed in his back pocket.

"Sunbae it's really alright. I can walk home. It's only a five-minute walk. Really."

Seokjin shook his head no as he smiled at Yeon.

"No. I'm going to walk you home. You're so small, what if someone kidnaps you?"

Yeon couldn't help but to smile too.

"Let's go."

The two began to walk a lot slower than usual.

"So how did I do today?"

Yeon's answer was too eager to her liking.

"Wonderful!"

The beaming reaction of Seokjin eased Yeon's nerves.

"What song was your favorite?"

All the brain cells in Yeon's head immediately started to panic. Not a single song came to mind. All she could remember was that Seokjin and Mihyang were so perfect together. Even their voices fit perfectly. The look they gave when they stared at one another was undeniably romantic. That's all she could remember.

"The song you and Mihyang sunbae did together."

"Really? The one with Mihyang?"

Seokjin seemed surprised.

"Yes."

"Not Yeon In(연인)?"

Yeon looked confused.

"It sounds like Yeonnie."

It was far-fetched but Yeon laughed and looked to Seokjin in bewilderment.

"Who would think of such a thing, sunbae?"

"I would."

Seokjin seemed proud.

"I mean that's why I chose to sing it."

"Oh..."

Yeon didn't know how to react or how to interrupt Seokjin's answer.

"You know, that day you stopped the bus for me. I realized it was the first time I started my first day of school with a smile on my face. I don't know if you know, but my grades are a disaster, so school isn't always my happy place. It's always been such a chore. But I went to school those first few days with a smile on my face because of you. But then you stopped appearing at the bus stop."

The two were suddenly no longer walking. They stood on the dark sidewalk listening. Well Yeon listened. She was scared to look up at Seokjin's face. Scared of what she may see. But she could hear his voice, and it was clear as day. He knew exactly what he was saying.

"Are you going to say anything?"

When Yeon finally did look up at Seokjin he was smiling. His smile was so gentle. It wasn't his regular playful smile. It was encouraging and honest.

"Thank you?"

Seokjin laughed loudly as he bent over and matched Yeon's eye level. Their faces were the closest they had ever been, and Yeon wondered if he could feel her breathe.

"I guess I should be the one thanking you."

Seokjin's sudden boop on Yeon's nose came as a surprise as she hopped backwards. Before she could lose her balance and embarrass herself completely, Seokjin's long arm grabbed onto her waist as he pulled her back forward into his broad chest. It was only a second, but a second too long. Yeon pushed herself away from Seokjin as she blushed furiously and looked at Seokjin in horror.

"You do know I don't have an infectious disease, right?"

There was too much going on in Yeon's head and she couldn't process any of it. Yeon bit her lower lip and quickly bowed to Seokjin.

"Goodnight sunbae."

Before Seokjin could even protest, Yeon turned and began to run. She could hear him calling after her, but there was no way she was going to stop. Her heart was going to beat out of her body, and her head was going to explode any minute.

But that's what Kim Seokjin did to girls. Especially girls that realized he was their first crush ever.