Chapter 15

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

The hole in the wall wasn't fixed the day it happened. It wasn't even fixed the next day. By the third day Yeon decided leaving a see through shower curtain wasn't going to do. Though Yeon never really saw or heard Kim Taehyung, she couldn't help but feel the nervousness that the hole caused. She had to do something about it.

Like most Korean houses, the walls were made of cement, so nailing anything in wasn't the easiest task. Yeon decided she could at least duct tape something. So a throw blanket would have to do, but it was easier said than done. Yeon struggled as she tried to get the blanket to hold up against the wall.

"What are you doing, neighbor?"

Yeon peeked below to see that Kim Taehyung sat at his black couch staring at her as he ate a bowl of cereal.

"I didn't think the shower curtain was enough..."

Kim Taehyung craned his head side to side like a puppy as he inspected his fine handy work.

"It's like a window. But without cold air and instead of outside it looks into someone else's house."

"I'm just a really private person."

Still eating his cereal Kim Taehyung nodded in acknowledgement.

"Do you think you'll know when the wall will be fixed?"

Yeon put down the blanket as she stepped down from the ladder.

"My lawyer said because we're now suing the contractor, that we can't fix it until we win. He also said the contractor seems to want to settle so within a week or two?"

"Oh no, no, no."

"Right? They're just horrible!"

"No, I can't do this for that long! Just looking at your living room gives me anxiety, and a stranger having access to my house, and the uncertainty of our spaces makes me anxious every morning! I can't do this for—"

The muscles in Yeon's legs gave out as she suddenly plopped down to the floor. Her breathing became ragged as she started to hyperventilate. She was having a panic disorder. As soon as Kim Taehyung noticed, he quickly put his cereal down and came jumping over the couch to Yeon's aid.

"Woah, woah! Come on, breathe, it's really not that big of an issue!"

"Inhaler... Kitchen...Island..."

Kim Taehyung quickly ran through the hole as he scurried to grab Yeon's inhaler. In seconds he was back as he threw it into Yeon's hand. The relief the inhaler gave was instant. The color in Yeon's face returned, but Kim Taehyung on the other hand was still white.

"Dude, that was not cool."

"Sorry... I get panic disorders."

"No really?! I mean what the hell do you do when you're home alone?"

"I don't get them when I'm alone."

"What? You're SO weird! So you're a hermit and people give you panic disorders?"

Kim Taehyung looked confused as he sat across from Yeon. Kim Taehyung on his side of the house, and Yeon on hers. This was the first time since Yeon locked herself up did she have to explain her disorder. Even Jungkook never really asked or questioned why she never left the house or what was wrong with her.

"Well... I guess I'm a hermit? I don't leave my house."

Kim Taehyung's eyes got big and round and smiled as if he understood.

"Yeah, after a big project I stay at home for days too!"

"It's sort of like that...but instead of days...years?"

There wasn't a surprised reaction like Yeon expected. Instead Kim Taehyung just continued to smile and nod. Instead of asking questions like why or how long or all these other questions a normal person would ask, he just accepted her answer as is.

"Well our houses are pretty big, so it's not like you're suffering too badly. I mean, I'm sure you are, but at least you're suffering in luxury, right?"

Kim Taehyung sure was the positive type.

"So this hole is really throwing me off. I haven't been outside of my house in a long time and this hole opens up a whole new world for me and it's a bit much."

Once again Yeon's breathing starting to quicken, but Kim Taehyung quickly picked up the inhaler in front of Yeon as he held it out for her. Yeon inhaled deeply and felt her nerves instantly easing.

"Thank you."

Kim Taehyung got up and picked up the throw blanket. He held out his hand for Yeon to take, but she didn't. She got up on her own and took the other end of the blanket. The two quietly began to tape the blanket to the wall. It took almost the entire roll of duct tape, but somehow they got the blanket to stay on sturdy enough for someone to walk through it without it falling off.

"Look, a new wall!"

Kim Taehyung was quite pleased with his work. He stood on Yeon's side of the house as he stared at the make shift wall. The fact that Yeon could no longer see into Kim Taehyung's house, also gave her a strange sense of calm.

"You know, I totally forgot your name."

For some reason, Kim Taehyung's unusual honesty didn't really bother Yeon. It was somewhat endearing.

"It's Kim Yeon."

"Oh that's right. I'm Kim Taehyung."

Yeon just nodded.

"Well I have to get ready to head out. I will NOT be seeing you now, neighbor."

Yeon smiled.

"Thank you for helping."

"Not a problem."

Yeon bowed as Kim Taehyung waved.

"Bye, bye, Ms. Yeonnie."