Chapter 18

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Even though Yeon wasn’t physically touching Jungkook, she could feel him stiffen up next to her. Although the air around Kim Taehyung was playful and relaxed, Jungkook on the other hand was visibly nervous.

“How do you guys know each other if not from last time?"

The curiosity in Yeon’s voice was innocent enough that Kim Taehyung looked surprised that Yeon didn’t know either.

“Didn’t we meet a few months ago Mr. Jeon?”

Kim Taehyung was eager to get to the bottom of it, but Jungkook was calm and unresponsive. His only reply was a light smile.

“We met at the ad shoot, right?”

Then it immediately hit Yeon. Though Yeon had ordered from Kko Kko Chicken for years now, she never really paid attention to the models. When Jungkook first started to deliver to her he would bring over whatever it was that they were giving away with the chicken. Most of the time they were posters of the spokesperson for the company. And this year it was Kim Taehyung. Yeon had totally forgotten his face was plastered on the boxes that the chicken came in.

“Wow Jungkook, you get to go to the advertisement shoots too?!”

Although Kim Taehyung opened his mouth to reply, it was Jungkook that got his words out quicker.

“Our location is the original store so a few of us got to go see the set.”

It seemed this answer was pretty acceptable for Kim Taehyung. He nodded and smiled brightly at Jungkook who just stared back emptily.

“Oh, is that why you were there? No other reason?”

“What reason would that be, Mr. Kim?”

Yeon hated the tension that Jungkook brought with every answer. It was so unlike him.

“You know, you’re quite a handsome man. Even I can admit that. Maybe the company wants you to be more than just a delivery guy.”

It was true. Jungkook was handsome. Even sitting across from Kim Taehyung, Jungkook’s visuals were a solid contender. They were different in every way.

If someone said “celebrity,” Kim Taehyung could be the dictionary definition. His height alone made him stand out. Long limbs, cherry blonde hair that was always styled in different manners, and a sense of fashion that no one could put an exact finger on. He was like a chameleon, always changing. But the single factor that put it all together was that he was indescribably beautiful. Not a classic beautiful, a mysterious beautiful. Brown eyes that pierced a person when looking straight into them, and an unusually pronounced nose that was so uncommon to most Koreans. That was Kim Taehyung. A walking super model, actor, singer, all in one. The whole package.

If Kim Taehyung was a mysterious beauty, Jungkook was the classic type. Anyone passing by would take a second look. He was the type that girls passed by and dreamed about running into. A sense of boyish charm surrounded his smile, but at the same time a tinge of iness balanced it all out. Though their heights were the same, their styles were polar opposites. Yeon had noticed that Jungkook preferred comfort and simplicity. She was used to seeing him in neutral colors and lots of hoodies and jeans. But that was the only thing simple about Jungkook. He was like prince charming. Except if Prince Charming was a chicken delivery guy. Even his job was something that Yeon accepted. Jungkook was studying business and delivering chicken was a means to living an earning. Jungkook was a standup guy like that.

“Kko Kko Chicken does promote from within, so maybe.”

Jungkook smiled and finally took another bite of his lasagna, which he hadn’t touched for a bit.

“A face like yours is a bit wasted as a delivery guy. Right, Ms. Yeonnie?”

With a clean plate, Taehyung looked to Yeon for an answer as he filled his plate with two more pieces of lasagna. All Yeon could do was blush and just nodded. It was true. Jungkook was a waste to just be delivering chicken.

“Well, not everyone can be a famous top star like you, Mr. Kim.”

It couldn’t be denied that Jungkook’s answer was a backhanded compliment.

“Anyway! So what did you guys think about the lasagna?”

Yeon quickly cut in and looked nervously from Kim Taehyung to Jungkook. Kim Taehyung’s answer was obvious. He was still stuffing his face though he mustered to get out a thumbs up midway.

“Great. Thanks so much Yeon. I haven’t had lasagna this good for a long time.”

Jungkook turned and smiled sweetly at Yeon.

“Thanks Jungkook. Really. You seem to have been busy these days. I assumed you were busy with your studies and wanted to make you something nice.”

It was true that Jungkook seemed busy. Usually she would see him at least once or twice a week, but it had been two weeks since Jungkook delivered last. Sometimes Jungkook would be gone for weeks. Of course he would call or message and let Yeon know in advance, but that didn’t mean she didn’t worry.

“Just a little. I’ll be back in two weeks or so. Did you miss me?”

Yeon laughed nervously.

“Of course.”

“Are you two really flirting with me sitting right in front?”

Both Yeon and Jungkook looked over at Kim Taehyung who looked a bit disgusted, but still interested.

“We’re not flirting!”

Yeon tried to make her statement, but Kim Taehyung was having none of it.

“Um, ask anybody. This is flirting.”

Yeon turned a beet red as she got up and grabbed her dish and Jungkook’s. Retreating towards the kitchen, Yeon placed the dishes in the sink as slowly as possible.

“I mean it’s alright, but next time let’s make it a double date!”

Back at the table, Yeon grabbed a chair and sat at the edge, so the three were all on one side. Jungkook looked over questionably but said no more.

“You sort of invited yourself to dinner…”

Yeon whispered quietly.

“You said it was ok!”

Kim Taehyung had a way of deciding things on his own.

“Hopefully next time, the wall is fixed.”

Jungkook smiled at Kim Taehyung knowingly.