Chapter 24

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

No one should have been surprised that Hoseok knew Park Jimin. Instead of going to college, Hoseok had decided to open up a dance studio as soon as he finished his military service. His studio birthed a lot of of the most popular K-pop dancers and was one of the main reasons it brought in a steady stream of money. It was obvious that Hoseok should have known Park Jimin. But that obviousness had flown completely past both Haekyung and Yeon.

 

“Hyung! What are you doing here?!”

 

Park Jimin walked over like he owned the place and took a seat between Haekyung and Hoseok.

 

“We’re best friends.”

 

Still excited to see Park Jimin, Hoseok pointed in the direction of Yeon and Haekyung and waved his finger rapidly.

 

“With Yeonnie noona and Haekyung?”

 

There was a mischievous smile on Park Jimin’s face.

 

“Haekyung noona…”


Haekyung whispered in annoyance.

 

“Yeah! Since we were little!”
 

“How come you never introduced me to Haekyung? You know she’s my type hyung.”

 

For Park Jimin it was as if flirting came like breathing. He scooted closer to Haekyung and placed his hand around her shoulder. Haekyung didn’t let his hand linger for even a second as she pushed him away forcefully.

 

“Oh… Because of him?”

 

Hoseok smiled sheepishly and pointed at Namjoon. Namjoon smiled back as he waved towards Park Jimin.

 

“You never said you had a boyfriend, Jin Haekyung.”

 

Park Jimin was was still playful with his responses.

 

“I don’t. He’s my ex.”

 

As if none of this bothered her, Haekyung got up and grabbed the empty cup Yeon had finished earlier. She headed towards the kitchen. Yeon followed right behind her. It wasn’t until she opened the fridge to grab a sparkling water that the two began to whisper to one another rapidly.

 

“I cannot believe this.”

 

“Me neither.”

 

“Why is Hoseok always involved in my love life?!”

 

“I don’t know. But what are you going to do?”

 

“What can I do?”

 

“I don’t know that either.”

 

“We need to get rid of him.”

 

“Who?”

 

“Park Jimin! Obviously!”

 

“Oh. Okay.”

 

Haekyung closed the fridge and led the way back towards the living room. She sat down and took a drink of the sparkling water.

 

“Noona, Taehyungie went to work so I have no one to eat with. Can I eat here?”

 

Park Jimin looked at Yeon with his puppy dog eyes, but before Yeon could even hesitate, Hoseok answered matter of factly.

 

“Of course you can! Right, Yeon?”

 

“Um…?”

 

As expected, Haekyung jumped in with her objections.

 

“Absolutely not. Go eat at your own place.”

 

In mere seconds it looked as if Park Jimin was going to cry. He leaned on Hoseok’s shoulder for comfort and began to whine.

 

“Is she not a morning person? Well actually it’s the afternoon but anyway. Why is she so mean to me?”

 

Hoseok patted Park Jimin’s back and glared at Haekyung.

 

It was Yeon that looked to Namjoon. Her eyes were apologetic and she wasn’t sure how to move forward with the strange and uncomfortable situation. She also didn’t understand how Hoseok didn’t realize how wrong the whole situation was. Yeon must have looked as pathetic as she felt, because Namjoon smiled in reassurance and gave her a nod as if he understood exactly what she was trying to say. Being Namjoon this was highly possible.

 

“The more the merrier right? He said he has no one to eat with.”

 

Namjoon looked to Haekyung and smiled. He always seemed to be smiling at Haekyung no matter where their relationship stood.

 

“Hey, Kim Namjoon!”

 

“Shut up Haekyung. Namjoonie said it’s ok too. Yeon, it’s ok right?”

 

Hoseok turned to Yeon, his arm still draped over Park Jimin who had his head buried in Hoseok’s shoulder.

 

There was no need to look to Haekyung. Yeon could feel Haekyung burning a hold through the side of her face. Scared that she would change her mind if she looked, Yeon looked at the floor and sheepishly answered quietly.

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Great! Park Jimin wants jampong too! I’ll order right now! Let’s get sweet and sour pork and walnut shrimp!”

 

“Yay! I love you Yeonnie noona!”

 

Park Jimin started making various hearts with his hands and smiled like he didn’t feel any discomfort of flirting with Haekyung in front of her ex boyfriend. He scooted back towards and Haekyung and placed his arm around her shoulder.

 

“I told you so, Jin Haekyung.  I saw you again, didn’t I. And a new promise this time. This isn’t going to the be the last time either.”

 

Once again Haekyung shoved Park Jimin away. This time she got up and sat beside Yeon, forcing her to scoot over to Haekyung’s previous seat. Thankfully Park Jimin stayed in his seat. But his flirty eyes couldn’t take them off of Jin Haekyung. Despite the fact that Namjoon was glued on him, and Hoseok just looked disgusted by it all.