Chapter 16

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Although Yeon was fond of ordering delivery, she also enjoyed cooking. She had purposely had a full kitchen built in, and there was a strange sense of calmness that came over her whenever she cooked. She would blast music as she would follow various recipes trying this and that out. Most of the time she would have Haekyung or Hoseok over, and once in a blue moon she would get the courage to invite Jungkook to share her meals as well. Today was one of those rare occasions.

"Oh my God Ms. Yeonnie, what is this smell?!"

As if it was his own home, Kim Taehyung swung the blanket open as he walked into Yeon's living room. In a blur of shock, Yeon stopped mixing the meat sauce as she stared at Kim Taehyung take a seat at the kitchen island.

"What...are you...doing?"

"We're neighbors with a hole in our wall! I came to say hi! And to see what you're—You're cooking lasagna?! I love lasagna!"

Kim Taehyung took one look at the lasagna pastas and excitedly picked them up.

"But there's a wall... You're not supposed to—"

"Oh come on, it's a blanket duct taped to the wall. I can't act like you're not home when I can smell that you're cooking something delicious!"

Yeon quickly began to mix the lasagna filling trying to pay attention to both the simmering pot as well as Kim Taehyung who was now resting his face in his hands as innocently as possible.

"I really don't do too well with strangers..."

"Strangers?! We're like best friends! I even gave you a hug after you did that weird cry in the closet."

In a fit of embarrassment, Yeon quickly changed the heat to low and tuned around to her fridge. She didn't have to look to see that her face was flushed crimson. Although Yeon could clearly see the ricotta and mozzarella, she purposely stared into the fridge letting the cool air brush her reddened face.

"There's the ricotta and mozzarella."

Yeon turned around to see Kim Taehyung smiling and pointing at the cheeses that were stacked up right in front of Yeon.

"Thanks..."

Without taking out the cheeses, Yeon closed the fridge. She also turned off the stove. Staring at Kim Taehyung, Yeon uncomfortably shifted from foot to foot.

"Why aren't you making the lasagna?"

"My friend won't be here till later, so I'm just going to finish it up in a bit."

The excitement on Kim Taehyung's face was still very visible.

"Oh great! Then I can go take a shower first! I just got home, and I came straight here because it smelled so good!"

Yeon didn't know how in the world he could smell that she was cooking. The distance from her kitchen to his living room was undeniably far. Her house also had a great air purifier that ridded her house of smells. Especially cooking smells.

"But it'll be my friend and me... I don't know if he'll—"

"Don't worry! I'm Kim Taehyung! Everyone loves me! And I love lasagna!"

Getting up from his seat, Kim Taehyung gave Yeon the thumbs up as he turned to leave. His voice trailed as he headed towards the hole.

"I'll be back in thirty minutes! Since you're cooking dinner I'll do the dishes!"

And with that Kim Taehyung disappeared into the hanging blanket and all was quiet again. Yeon wondered if all celebrities were horrible at taking hints. Maybe it was because the world was at their beck and call, or because they weren't used to hearing no. Whatever it was, Kim Taehyung was living in his own little world with answers that he had already decided. Typically, this kind of behavior was annoying and considered rude, but Kim Taehyung, the childish amusement in the way he made decisions for others was hard to get angry over. Yeon sighed and the stove again and decided it was all futile and she had better just make the lasagna. Kim Taehyung was going to come to dinner whether she liked it or not.

Like he had said, Kim Taehyung returned in exactly thirty minutes. He was wearing an oversized tshirt and baggy black sweats. His hair was wet and he dried it with a towel as he walked in. He might as well have been in his own home.

"Is the lasagna in the oven?"

He walked over next to Yeon, who nodded at his question.

Kim Taehyung had a way of taking over in every situation. It didn't matter that he was inside Yeon's house. He kneeled in front of the oven and instantly found the oven light as if he had designed Yeon's kitchen himself. With both his hands pressed against the oven glass and face almost touching, Kim Taehyung looked at the cooking lasagna in wonderment.

"I've never had lasagna made from scratch! I'm really excited!"

Yeon began to pull out plates and forks and knives. As if on cue, Kim Taehyung stood and took the plates and cutlery from her and headed towards the dining room table. But he didn't immediately began setting the table.

"This table is too big. Let's eat over there."

His finger pointed at the breakfast nook against the window. Although that was Yeon's original plan, she nodded in agreement. Kim Taehyung turned to head towards the smaller table and began setting it immediately.

"Your house is so...clean."

It was definitely different from Kim Taehyung's house. Their places were decorated completely differently. Kim Taehyung's house had so many different bold colors, and art pieces, and all kinds of ... things. Yeon on the other hand was the definition of clean and modern. Her house was mostly whites and grays and sometimes a tinge of a muted colors.

As Yeon took out the salad from the fridge, Kim Taehyung walked back to the kitchen island and took his usual spot. He stared at Yeon intently, almost like he was studying her. Silently, Yeon held out the salad for Kim Taehyung who sighed playfully.

"Before you make me take another trip, can I get the dressing too."

Yeon grabbed the dressing from the counter and handed it to Kim Taehyung.

"You know, people would probably pay quite a lot of money to have dinner with me?"

"You don't have to have dinner here..."

Though Yeon was hopeful, she knew it was useless.

"No way. I love lasagna."

This time Yeon sighed.

"So who is this friend that is coming over? Is it a her or him? Is this her or him good looking? Oh...are they single?"

Kim Taehyung's eyebrows went up and down as he looked at Yeon in interest. Maybe if she was honest he would finally get the clue and decide to bail on dinner.

"It's a him. He's my chicken delivery guy."

There was a bit of confusion on Kim Taehyung's face. Of course he was confused. Though it was unusual, for Yeon and Jungkook it made sense. They had dinner sometimes, hung out, and talked. He also delivered her chicken.

The doorbell rang, and Yeon's eyes darted to the intercom. Jungkook was ringing from downstairs. He was here.

Kim Taehyung jumped up and ran for the intercom.

"I'll get it!"