Chapter 6

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

The chance meeting between Seokjin and Yeon was the talk of the school for at least a month, which was forever in high school time. It took a bit of convincing, but Haekyung and Hoseok finally believed Yeon that there was nothing and it was all just an inconvenient coincidence. But no one else seemed to believe it. Yeon hated the pointing and staring, and every morning when Seokjin would sit next to her on the bus, and the sweet hellos in the hallways during lunch. It all seemed to make the situation even worse.

So only a week after the first day of school, Yeon found herself waking up not an hour earlier, but two hours. She would go to school much earlier and study in the empty classroom until school would officially start. She asked her mom to pack her lunch, and tried to avoid leaving the classroom; afraid she would run into Seokjin and there would be another group of girls ready to glare at her and spread more unfounded rumors.

Yeon honestly loved the fact that Seokjin was so kind to her. But more than that, she liked to be the student no one really knew or talked about. Instead she was the only student everyone talked about. All kinds of talk. To the point where Haekyung almost got into a fight. People weren't nice, and Yeon could understand. It's not like it was Haekyung, it was Yeon. Boring, normal, mediocre Yeon.

Still half asleep, Yeon found herself dozing off waiting for the bus. She came out a bit earlier than usual and there was still 7 minutes until the bus would arrive. For a second Yeon thought she was dreaming or still in bed, because she felt her head being gently guided toward a shoulder. It was the quiet laugh under his breath that woke her up.

Opening one's eyes to see the face of Seokjin was definitely like a dream. But the scare it caused was also like being woken from a nightmare.

"Seokjin sunbae!"

Yeon jumped up from the bus bench as she took two steps backwards.

"You seem tired. But I guess that's a given, seeing you're going to school at this hour."

The tone in Seokjin's voice was that of sarcasm, worry, and playfulness all in one. Yeon couldn't really tell any of it apart. She wondered if he knew she was avoiding him.

"I just...don't like the crowds on the bus."

It wasn't entirely a lie.

"So you don't really have any special reason to be at school an hour early, right?"

Yeon nodded.

"Alright then. Lets walk to school today."

The surprise in Yeon's face must have shown. Seokjin laughed loudly as he started to walk motioning for Yeon to follow, without even turning to check if she was actually coming. He was that confident. Yeon quickly ran after Seokjin stopping a few steps behind him.

"It'll take forever..."

Yeon whispered.

"It'll take about an hour and fifteen minutes. Trust me."

So the very unlikely pair began to walk. The bustling streets of Seoul were busy with the sounds of rush hour madness, but Seokjin and Yeon were as silent as ever. It wasn't so much walking as it was Yeon following Seokjin. But that changed quickly.

"Now if we walk at your speed, yes it will take forever."

Seokjin stopped and waited for Yeon to catch up, which she did in a hurry. His legs were long and seemed to take longer steps, but once Yeon was by his side his strides seemed to shorten. Although Yeon wanted to steal glances at Seokjin's side profile, she couldn't muster the courage and only looked straight ahead.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?"

This time it was Yeon that stopped. She thought hard for a second before answering and walking again.

"Yes."

Seokjin laughed quietly to himself.

"Really honest. I like that. So then, why do I make you uncomfortable?"

Yeon thought to herself as she looked at all the people passing by. Unlike the bus, people weren't staring, even if she was side by side with Seokjin.

"People...look at you, sunbae."

"And, that makes you uncomfortable?"

Once again Yeon had to gather her thoughts. Seokjin wasn't as easy to talk to as Hoseok or Haekyung. Things didn't just come out naturally for Yeon. She didn't want to say anything stupid in front of Seokjin.

"People look at you...and the people around you. And they...talk."

"Ah, the rumors. About that day we met for the first time on the bus."

Yeon nodded.

"So you essentially don't want to be seen around me, even though I'm probably the best looking guy at school."

It was a joke, but Yeon nodded again. She quickly realized her mistake and instantly shook her head in disapproval.

"I'm just not comfortable with people staring at me...or talking about me..."

It seemed Yeon's voice was getting quieter and quieter.

"But you're so different! And interesting!"

Seokjin swiveled around and grabbed Yeon's face in his hands.

"And look how small and cute you are! Did I tell you, you remind me of my little sister?"

Yeon tried to shake her head no, but Seokjin shook it yes for her. It didn't seem to dawn on Seokjin that most girls were smaller than him.

"So how do we fix this?"

"Well...can you not sit next to me on the bus...or say hello in the hallways...can you just ignore me around other people altogether?"

The look of bewilderment was clear.

"No? You just want the attention taken off of you, right?"

Yeon nodded eagerly.

So he did understand!

"Alright, I can make that happen. Then I can still say hi and we can still talk, and stuff, right?"

Once again Yeon had to think. She furrowed her brows as she pictured sitting next to Seokjin on the bus. She wasn't sure if he would actually be able to take the attention off of her, but if it meant people would stop staring and talking about her, Yeon wouldn't mind continuing to get to know Seokjin. Then again, who in the world would mind getting to know THE Kim Seokjin. Nobody, that's who.

So, Yeon nodded.

And that's how their friendship began. The one hour fifteen-minute walk was the shortest hour fifteen minutes in Yeon's entire life. Why was there so much to talk about and not enough time? How come Seokjin asked so many questions about Yeon? And why couldn't Yeon get the nerve to ask all the questions she was dying to hear answers to?

Sunbae, who is your celebrity crush?

Sunbae, what's your favorite color?

Sunbae, what's your favorite food?

Sunbae, why are you walking with me...