Chapter 13

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Seokjin's voice sounded exactly as she remembered. Yeon hated it, but she felt her heart flutter. At the same time, she felt a sharp pain that was difficult to ignore. There were so many emotions, Yeon didn't know what to feel.

"I've thought about this for years, you know."

Yeon didn't reply.

"I never thought I would find you. You're not on social media, and it seemed everyone lost contact with you. Then I found Haekyung and well... Here we are."

Yeon still didn't say a single word.

"Still quiet as ever I see."

Yeon could hear the smile on Seokjin's face. She wondered if he still looked the same too. If he was as beautiful as she remembered.

"I wanted to tell you how sorry I am about how things ended with us. I don't know if you'll ever forgive me, but I promise, there was a good reason."

"I see."

There seemed to be a sigh of relief from Seokjin's side.

"You sound the same."

"I'm not."

It wasn't meant to sound malicious, but there was an air of coldness from Yeon's voice. Maybe she was upset at Seokjin, or maybe she was bitter with herself. Either way, her reply wasn't friendly.

"Of course you're not. It's been over 5 years..."

Once again the silence continued.

"You know, I finally get a hold of you, but I have a three-month trip to the States planned. Great timing, right? My timing with you..."

His voice quietly trailed off.

"Yeah, so anyway, I was wondering if you would give me the chance to explain in person. There's so much and I feel like it would be wrong to do it over the phone. And..."

"Look sunbae. It's ok. I'm fine. Please don't feel you owe me anything."

"Yeonnie, I would really like to see you if you would allow. I really... want to... see you."

The pleading in his voice was unmistakable. Kim Seokjin was begging.

"Please..."

The devil on Yeon's shoulder didn't want to let him have it this easy. Yeon's pain and fears over the years wouldn't allow it. It shouldn't be this easy. Everything seemed so easy to Seokjin. Just because he was who he was. Yeon hated that even now she felt herself falter. After everything she went through, even where she was now. It shouldn't be this easy. It was unfair.

"Sunbae..."

This time it was Seokjin's time to be silent.

"I'll think about it."

The relief in Seokjin's sigh was obvious. It seemed as if he could breathe again.

"That's all I'm asking. Just think about it. Three months to mull it over. If you still don't want to meet, then I'll let it go and never contact you again."

"Ok."

"Great. I'll let you go, it's getting late."

"Ok."

"Yeonnie... It was good to hear your voice."

"Bye sunbae."

"Bye Yeonnie."

With the end of the conversation Yeon couldn't help but to feel the tears welling up in her eyes again. She thought she had cried enough that night, but obviously her heart had a whole other bucket of tears saved after hearing Seokjin's voice. Yeon felt a wave of panic as she quickly started to head towards the closet.

It was the doorbell that stopped her in her tracks.

Yeon didn't head for the door, but she could see the intercom turn on. Her neighbor stood staring into the camera rather closely holding up a cup. There was no way Yeon was going to open the door to Kim Taehyung as she stood bawling her eyes out.

"Hey, I know it's late! But I really need a favor. It's really important! I know you're in there!"

Kim Taehyung's voice trailed through the intercom as he rang the doorbell once more. Yeon quickly wiped her eyes with the back of her sleeve as she walked apprehensively towards the door. It took a few minutes of pondering if she should open the door or not, but the third ring finally made her give in.

Eyes red, threatening to start crying again any second, Yeon just stared at Kim Taehyung whose smile immediately dropped.

"Dude, I just needed to borrow some sugar but it's obviously not a good time—"

Yeon took the cup from Kim Taehyung's hand and turned to head for the kitchen. She heard Kim Taehyung following her in, but she didn't really care. The quicker she got him the sugar, the quicker he would leave. Quickly taking out the sugar from the cupboard and filling the cup to the brim, Yeon turned to see Kim Taehyung had comfortably taken a seat at the kitchen island. Yeon held out the cup for him to take. 

"Thanks. I'm a horrible person without my morning coffee, and it has to have a lot of sugar and milk. I have the milk but I realized there was no more sugar and—"

The bewilderment and annoyance on Yeon's face must have shown. Kim Taehyung quietly took the cup and stood up.

"Thanks a ton!"

He turned to leave. Yeon didn't bother to follow. Instead she walked straight to the closet and opened the door to crawl in. Too lost in her own emotions, Yeon immediately began to bawl. After a good long cry her head was dizzy from what was most likely dehydration, but at least there were no more tears left to cry. Yeon finally opened the closet door, but found herself immediately surprised and scared to see that Kim Taehyung was leaning against the other door of the closet staring at her. Next to him was a cup of water, and his original cup of sugar.

"I was scared you might kill yourself."

Turned towards her, Yeon still in the closet, Kim Taehyung on the other side, he grabbed the water and held it out for her. Yeon robotically took the water and took a sip. She carefully crawled out and sat next to Kim Taehyung.

All of a sudden he gently pulled her into his arms and hugged her like she needed protecting from the world. In a complete daze, Yeon dropped the cup of water spilling it all over Kim Taehyung. Instead of reacting, his arms tightened around her and for a split second Yeon felt safe.

"You're a lot weirder than you look. Maybe even a little weirder than me. But even weirdos deserve hugs on their bad days."

He was right. Kim Taehyung was weird. But Yeon didn't mind.