Chapter 1

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Although slightly overweight, being 23 and locked up in her apartment for the last 4 years wasn't too bad for Yeon. People tend to get cabin fever after a few days, but the longer Yeon stayed caged away in her comfy apartment, the less she wanted to go out. Once in a while she would open the double doors to the balcony and sit on the edge of the door frames like a rebel. Not a single fingertip would pass the frames of the doors, but she would let the wind blow through her frizzy hair, and listen to the craziness that encompassed Seoul day in and day out. Sometimes she missed it, but most days a wave of panic set in and Yeon would be rolling away from the doors as quickly as she opened them. Nothing felt safer than the comfort of her apartment.

Yeon's friends and family thought it was just a "phase." She had to come out sooner or later, and what about earning a living? Everyone thought with time, Kim Yeon would face the world she locked herself away from.

But everyone was wrong.

Practically everything in Seoul could be delivered, and most people forgot that Yeon was smart. Not nerdy smart or Mensa smart, more like child prodigy smart. At the age of 17, Yeon discovered a vulnerability in a popular email client, and before anyone could say 'what' Yeon had signed a very confidential contract that stated she wouldn't publicly release the information regarding the vulnerability, while "selling" her fix to a multi-billion-dollar corporation. Yeon was so smart, instead of using her mom as a guardian, she hired a financial advisor that signed the contract on her behalf and placed the money in a trust. With the money earned, Yeon paid off her college tuition the first day she enrolled, as well as put down a down payment for a cushy apartment in one of the most expensive neighborhoods of Korea, Gangnam. Of course she had her financial advisor also hire a real estate expert that advised on which apartment would be best. Yeon was that smart. So smart people didn't realize the state of her cleverness.

But despite being a genius, Yeon was absolutely HORRIBLE, which could be an understatement, when it came to food and boys. She adored both, but she absolutely could not control either. With all the great food of Seoul within delivery distance, Yeon found the freshman fifteen become more like the freshmen thirty. She wasn't pretty and she wasn't ugly, which typically meant gorgeous in every novel and romcom known to man. But Yeon really was just normal. She had a forgettable face, a forgettable body, and a forgettable personality. If not for her wild frizzy hair, Yeon could disappear and no one would ever blink an eye. Maybe her mom, but no one else. People would post some lame messages on Facebook or Instagram, but then that would be it. She would be forgotten in maybe a day, a week if she was lucky.

Although all outer aspects of Yeon was unremarkable, her smarts were something out of the world. Unlike her peers that were also computer whiz's and geniuses in their own merit, Yeon didn't seek the attention she lacked in real life on the Internet. Instead Yeon kept a tight knit group of online friends she met while reading celebrity gossip. That was it. She liked to look around the internet just to explore, and take on things that challenged her. Challenges that were legal. If she found problems she would promptly report them, and that was that. No one ever knew about Yeon, because she liked it that way. No one needed to know, and being an extremely smart internet sensation among the dark web was her own secret that Yeon found personal delight in.

For all these reasons no one found it that strange that Yeon stayed home more and more often, and that she slowly began to take backwards steps from the outside world. Her best friends Haekyung and Hoseok still visited all the time, nearly living at Yeon's apartment, while her mom came by at least once a week to "talk." Kim Yeon may have stopped visiting the outside world, but the outside world was constantly coming to her. It was the perfect set up for Yeon. She couldn't have asked for more.

Jungkook was the cherry on top.

It was the first night Yeon had moved in. There was nothing in the house except some blankets and her laptop. Everything would arrive the next day. What was a girl to do in an empty apartment? It was pretty obvious. Yeon ordered fried chicken so she could binge watch Netflix. Just to feel a little less depressing, Yeon went out to buy a scented candle to give a little "mood lighting," despite it not really matching with fried chicken.

Lying on the newly installed hardwood floors, Yeon fiddled with her phone while reading her favorite celebrity gossip site. Completely immersed in her own little world, Yeon dropped her phone on her face when she heard the ringing of the building's front doors. Yeon ran to the intercom as she confirmed the entry. It would take the delivery guy a few minutes to get up to the 20th floor so Yeon decided to prepare her candle first. It was then that she realized she didn't have a lighter.

Hoping her delivery guy smoked, Yeon opened the door with the friendliest smile. Unfortunately for Yeon, the delivery guy probably got all kinds of smiles every single second of his life. It was a sin to say he was handsome, because he was absolutely stunning. Yeon found herself slowly closing the door without saying anything. Still in shock, it took her a few seconds to realize there was a foot in the doorway preventing the door from shutting.

"Did you order a chicken?"

Yeon peeked her face out from a cracked open door and nodded stupidly. He sounded young, but he didn't, and he was gorgeous but... gorgeous. Perfect body and hair that was carelessly brushed to the side.There was no way this guy was really a chicken delivery guy. It was like a bad fairy tale, or o.

"So...you did or didn't?"

With a few blinks, Yeon nodded and accepted the bag of chicken, and with that Yeon was given a smile which made her feel not so alone in that moment. Still in a state of handsome shock, Yeon handed the money to the delivery guy and began to quickly close the door, when the same foot stopped the door once again.

This time a bit worried, Yeon poked her head out again.

"Huh?"

He smiled carelessly and held out his hand.

"You're going to pay me with a scented candle?"

"Damn it."

She handed him the bills in her other hand and exchanged it for the candle. He was obviously amused, and Yeon was obviously embarrassed. As he began to rummage for change Yeon quickly stopped him.

"Um, I don't need change!"

"Woah, yeah you do."

Not looking up, the delivery guy continued to search for change like the stand-up guy he looked to be.

"No, no, really I don't. But... do you smoke?"

He finally stopped.

"No, but is there something you need?"

He looked almost surprised.

"I need to light this candle and don't have a lighter so I was wondering... If I could... Buy your lighter?"

That beautiful smile again, which this time was returned with a smile of her own. Yeon might as well have melted in her door way right there right then.

"Hold on."

The Delivery God rummaged through his change once more and quickly handed over the leftover money. He then topped it off with a plastic green lighter.

"The lighter is on me, seeing it is your first night in your new place. You can make it up to me next time. Got to go."

While on cloud nine and mesmerized by his good looks, Yeon sort of nodded and began to close the door when his sweet voice echoed through the hallways.

"And don't let this city change that bright smile of yours!"

That was Yeon's dreamy first meeting with Jungkook. Her sweet, handsome, absolutely unavailable fried chicken delivery guy. Even though it had been three years ago, meeting Jungkook still felt brand new. So when she buzzed in the ringer, she expected him with her typical order. Always in a good mood when Jungkook was delivering, Yeon knew exactly when to open the door so Jungkook didn't have to ring the doorbell. Which is why it was shocking when it wasn't Jungkook that was standing in front of her, but a complete stranger Yeon had never seen before.

"Woah. Do you have cameras installed?!"

Yeon took another look at the tall thin framed guy in front of her, wondering if she suddenly needed glasses.

"Kim Taehyung. I'm your new neighbor."