The Proposal

Money Found Love

 

What are you trying to do Kwon Jiyong? I want to ask him. However, I do not want to think too much of what is written on top of the folded paper. Something is brewing at the moment that may or may not change my life. With nervous fingers I unfold the paper and inside it is a handwritten half page message from Kwon Jiyong himself.

 

I am offering you marriage Dara to rectify what I did to you. It was unforgiveable. Taking something important from you was a big mistake. I have no way of giving back your reputation back but a marriage proposal. I am not going to force you. I just want to have a clear conscience. I told Jina about us, about the contract that we have. She knows me of my impulsive decisions and seems like she always have the right solutions when I am confused. Yes, she suggested this proposal. I have thought a lot about it and she is right. I have to marry you Dara.    

 

Tears roll down from my eyes. He is offering marriage not because he feels something for me but for his peace of mind?  The ink in the paper blotted with my tears. It hurts already thinking that I am soon leaving him but he is slowly killing me of what he is doing to me right now. He brought me to heaven when he made me promised not to ever leave him and now he is pushing me to hell. A marriage proposal is supposed to be magical and memorable, not devastating.   

 

Another sleepless night… Dragging myself out from the bed I went straight to the shower to wash away the heaviness I am feeling. I took my time since he has no schedule for today. Feeling refreshed I step out from the shower only to see him comfortably leaning at my bathroom’s door. On impulse I pull the shower curtain to cover myself.

 

“Mr. Kwon!”

“I was looking for you and saw the bathroom door is open.” I feel the heat of blood spreading on my face as he looks at me.

“Y-yeah…I was obviously taking a shower…of which you can see…clearly…uhm…s-so do you need anything Mr. Kwon?” My fingers tightened at the edges of the poor curtain almost tearing it since I know he can still visibly see me.

“You must have read the letter by now right?” I almost rolled my eyes. Are we really going discuss it right now? While I am like this and drench? You have got to be kidding me.

“Y-yeah.” Fine. If he wants to talk about it then I don’t care. It is not like the first time he saw me anyway. That last thought made me blush…aish!

“So?”

I bit my lower lip and thought carefully. I have already decided about it. “My answer is no.”

“What?”

“It was sweet and thoughtful of you Mr. Kwon to consider me for marriage but I am saying no to your proposal.” I saw resentment and shock pasted in his face. He was not expecting my answer.

“Why?”

“If I am going to marry someone Mr. Kwon it is not for the reason of marriage but I want to marry him because I want to be with him for the rest of my life and he wants to spend his life with me too. You don’t have to feel guilty of what happened to us. I knew the contract and agreed to it. So you do not have to sacrifice yourself because you are guilty of something you did.”

“It is the least I can do Dara.”

“You do not have to do it Mr. Kwon.” We fell silent for a while. I thought he was going to leave and give me my privacy but he stops and looks like he remembered something.

“By the way, about the hospital incident…”

“Yes?”

“I want to say sorry again and just forget about it.” Ugh! That hurts!

“No problem Mr. Kwon.” Kudos to me for keeping my poker face and not bawl in front of him.

“Ok, if that is your decision I will respect that.”

“Thanks Mr. Kwon.” The warm water I enjoyed minutes ago is replaced with a chilly feeling boiling inside my body. My knees starts to shake a bit making me hang on to the strength of the pitiful curtain.

“I am just surprise though…”

“Surprise about what Mr. Kwon?” I am amazed how steady my voice is when I am falling apart inside.

“…that you would turn me down. It is not like I offer marriage every girl that I am with. Actually you are the first Dara.”

“I am honestly flattered Mr. Kwon but I do believe that marriage is bounded with love not by guilt and … just to be clear I do not feel that way with you.” I cross my fingers for being a big fat liar.

“Oh, really?” He is astonished for my bluntness.

“I hope I did not offend you Mr. Kwon.”

“Yeah. Of course.”

“Uhm, if you don’t mind I really have to get myself some warm clothes to wear before I freeze here.”

“Oh yeah, sure.” A huge sigh escapes from me as he finally left. I do not know where I got the courage to speak to him like that but I am glad that I did.

 

 

 

   “ Mr. Kwon?” Uncle Gio asks him. He was staring blankly at a half filled glass of brandy. The ice cube he put inside already melted making the dark rusty coloured liquor lightens. He blinks hearing the old man’s voice and unconsciously drinks the whole content of the glass making him cough after and gasping for air. “Mr. Kwon, are you alright?”  

“I am fine uncle.” He waves his hand and wipes the spill of alcohol on his chin. “…Uhm, you need something uncle?” The old man looks at him curiously but he did not say anything.

“I was just wondering what would you like for lunch since you have no appointments today.”

“Oh, just the usual uncle.”

“Uhm okay.”  Uncle Gio left him and he returns to his own reverie just minutes ago before the old man startled him. The thing that is bothering him is Dara turning down his proposal. He was so confident that she’s going to accept it. He’s the most sought after pop idol of his time. Who would in her right mind would turn him down? But Dara did. He took another drink and stared at the empty glass as if it’s a crystal ball. The things that Dara said to him this morning kept on replaying inside his head. He was shocked and caught off guard. He was never rejected like this before.

“Mr. Kwon?”

He whirled around hearing Dara’s voice. Forgetting he is holding a bottle of brandy he is about to pour on his glass. The liquor landed on his lap making him jerk.

“Aish!”

“You need help Mr.Kwon?”

“No…I am okay. Uhm you need something Dara?”

“I just want to tell you that I am going out.”

“Oh, don’t you want to have lunch first?”

“I will just have it later Mr. Kwon. I will be dining with a friend.”

“A friend? Really.”

“Yes. I am going now.”

“Ah, wait!”

“Yes Mr. Kwon?”

He has nothing to say. It was just an urge of him to call Dara back. It was too late for him to stop. Dara waited. Unknowingly, Jiyong run his fingers to his hair. This is the first time he feels awkward.

“Just…keep your phone open in case something comes up…okay?”

“Of course Mr.Kwon.”

He just stood there watching Dara closed the door behind her. He feels anxious of something he can’t point out what was it. Confused he sat back near the mini bar  and lost in his own   thoughts again.  

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------

a/n: Thanks for your time reading!