The Unexpected

Money Found Love

 

“Dara? Why are you up so early?”

 

“Uncle Gio, I just can’t sleep.” I stared back again at the empty glass as if it fascinates me when the truth is inside I am in turmoil. Uncle Gio took the seat opposite to mine and he stared at me. I know eventually he will find out what happened.

 

“Something is bothering you. What is it Dara?”

 

“I think Mr. Kwon will cut the contract short.”

 

“Eh? Why would you say that?”

 

“I…sort of…well pissed him.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Not really pissed him, it’s just he regretted doing this agreement.”

 

“ Did he said that to you?”

 

“Not that way exactly, but I know that is what he meant. He said he realized how stupid this situation is and he should have not done it in the first place.”

 

“Honestly dear, that was the exact words I said to him from the very start. I tried to stop him but he does not want to listen to me. Tsk, I am sorry Dara that you have to be drag in this, you have sacrificed a lot and…”

 

“Uncle, don’t be sorry. This was my choice and I have my reasons why I did this…”

 

“You love him don’t you…”

 

“Eh? What? Of course not uncle, this is just purely part of my job description…”

 

“Oh dear…It is clear as water that you have feelings for him. It is just so sad that he is too blinded with other things that he cannot see that in you.”

 

“U-uncle, you know that is impossible. He would never replace Jina in his heart. She would always be his muse no matter what happened to them.” That was too painful to say but I have to face the truth.

 

“Dara, I am so sorry if only I could do something about it.”

 

“No, I am fine uncle.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes, thanks for talking to me uncle.”

 

“My pleasure Dara.”  Having this conversation with him eased a bit of what I am feeling right now. I would have thought leaving this house if I am not bounded with the contract. I still have a month left if Mr. Kwon will not ask me to leave.

 

I waited for him at the living room since he has another appointment scheduled today at 9 in the morning. I am making sure that I keep my cool and maintain the “business relationship” as much as possible. This is not the time for me to act out of what was written in my job description and to think I owed him a lot of what he did to my brother. Yeah, I should be thankful instead and keep it that way so it would be less painful for me.

 

Fifteen minutes before nine there he was with his glorious charm striding towards me. I braced myself for whatever will happen. I am an optimistic person but this moment I cannot find that in me.

 

“Hey…” I blink a lot than I usually do and held my breath when he finally stood in front of me with all his freshness as he greeted me. My tongue glued inside my mouth and decided to give him a timid nod…tsk. “Let’s go?” He asks not letting go of his gaze from me. My heart thump-thump inside my rib cage. Aish!

 

“Y-yes…” Finally I found my voice. He walk first and rigidly I followed him as his perfume trails towards my nose, burning my skin and making breathing a lot harder. “Ugh!” Before I knew it I bump into him. I was busy daydreaming that I did not noticed him turning to face me. “S-sorry Mr.Kwon…I was…err…”

 

“Hey, relax Dara…” He put his hands on my shoulder and gaze at me. He is too close that I felt his warm breath brushing at my cheeks. I bit my lip keeping myself not to create more embarrassment to myself. I sigh.

 

“I am sorry I was not paying attention…”

 

“It ‘s alright. No harm done okay?” He released me from his grip. I held a silent cry. I wanted him to keep holding me…tsk! Darn it! Stop daydreaming Dara!

 

“O-okay.”

 

“So let’s go?”

 

“Y-yeah.”

 

The day finished like it was just a wind. I just followed and nod to him when he gives me instructions. He’s too professional and I hate it! I want the Jiyong who plays a lot and gives extra attention to me. I want the passionate Jiyong. The free spirited him. Not this one. Too boss-like.

 

“Dara do you have it?”

 

“Eh?”

 

“The papers?”

 

“Oh, y-yeah…” I fish a blue folder from the ten piles of folders I am holding and gave it to him. He took it without a word and started reading it as if I did not exist. We are on our way back to his house now. It was dead silent inside the car. Uncle Gio throws me a sympathetic gaze from the driver’s seat, I still sit together with Jiyong at the back, I look passed through the rear mirror pretending I did not notice him.

 

Snap it Dara! You can never have him. He’s too much for you. You are just one of his employees with an extra task to do for him nothing personal. Yeah, I know that but what about that day in the hospital? What was that all about? You know, just one of those days… The vixen in me toyed with my feelings and it hurts a lot but I know she is right. I am just a nobody.

 

The journey way back seems a lot longer. I just wanted to get out from this car away from him and sulk inside my room. Being with him is bittersweet.  Now what is wrong with uncle Gio’s driving? Why can’t he speed it up so that we can get over this awkwardness?  *Sigh*

 

“Bummer…”

 

“What?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Did you say something Dara?”

 

“Eh? No. I was just…err…thinking aloud I guess.”

 

“Ah…anyway about last night…”

 

My eyes flashes towards uncle Gio. He can’t be serious right? We cannot talk about it with uncle in the car…I mean it is just too embarrassing for me right now.

 

“Can we talk about that later Mr.Kwon?” He looks at me as if trying to read what is really boiling inside my head.

 

“Okay.” He said calmly and continues to scan the folder I gave to him.

 

The talk did not happen. He did not show up in my room last night. Honestly, I waited and I am a fool to still feel excited of him coming. Tsk! another sleepless night for me. How long am I going to live like this? I can still endure this because I am still staying under his roof. I can still see him and be with him but what will happen when our agreement finally comes to its end? Ugh! Dara you knew already how all of these will end okay? …hmph… but still.

 

“Dara…”

 

“H-huh, Mr. Kwon. I am sorry I was just thinking something. Is there anything you want?” This is the last meeting in his schedule. It is something about a product he is going to endorse. Uncle Gio could not make it to drive for us because of his arthritis.

 

“I said I am done and let us go home now.”

 

“Oh, okay Mr. Kwon.”

 

Not like yesterday, he sat beside me at the driver’s passenger seat. As usual, we are awkwardly silent inside the car.

 

“Dara can you pull over?”

 

“Eh? Where Mr. Kwon?” We are passing through a wide field of yellow wild flowers.

 

“Just pull over.”  I stop the car and we sat in silence for a while. “Dara, I really don’t know where to start.” He began. I breathe in a lot of air just to keep myself composed if he finally drops the bomb.  This is going to hurt me big time, I can just feel it. “You see, the things happened lately made me confused. I do not want to hurt anybody especially not you, but there are things I need to sort for myself first. I know I made you promise Dara. I guess it was childish of me to make you do that. We started in an unconventional way and we did things that we are not supposed to do. It was all my fault and I am so sorry for everything. I know I could not undo what I have done but I will try to make up by giving you this. Starting today I am going to do what is appropriate.”

 

 He gave me an envelope. My hands clasp tightly on my lap. I do not want to touch that damn envelope. I am not sure what is inside of it but I really have an inkling of what it is.

 

“Just take it Dara and think what you are going to do about it and if it is okay with you we are going to finish the agreement that we had. You can still stay and be my PA. I will continue to support your brother’s therapy. However, I am no longer gonna do the rest of the agreement.”

 

My hands are still stuck to each other not willing to take the envelope. Realizing I am not going to move he placed it inside my right pocket. He told me to move the car and we are back in the road again. I am trying to focus in my driving. I am keeping my eyes not to drop a single tear and doing my best to maintain a poker face. Just breathe Dara deep breath.

 

Arriving at his house I immediately unfasten my seatbelt I wanted to get away from him as fast as I could.

 

“Wait.”  He grabs my wrist and pulls me towards him. The warm touch of his lips to mine startled me. I feel my body rigid as he… I mean we make out inside the car. I almost scream when he ended the kiss. “I need to stop now or it is going to be a problem if I keep kissing you.” I am in awe that I just manage to blink a couple of times. I wanted to ask him why…what is he doing now… “Kissing you is still covered in our agreement so you cannot complain why I did it. I am going to kiss you whenever and where ever I want it.”

 

“Err….”

 

“Go now Dara before I change my mind.”

 

“N-neh.”

 

Staring blankly at the ceiling I keep replaying what happened today. Everything that is happening is very inconsistent.

 

“What is he trying to do? He is making me confused.”

 

I sigh and then I remember the envelope. With quivering fingers I open it. Inside is a folded short coupon bond. Something is written in black ink caught my eye.

 

“Oh my God!”

 

It says, “A marriage proposal”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------

a/n: Thanks for reading sorry for the long wait. Comments is deeply appreciated…=)