Chapter 8

Of All The Odds

Chapter 8: 

Mr. School Fest 

 

 

 

“Okay. I won’t bother you anymore with your final output. Just don’t forget to pass it before this month ends, okay?” 

 

“Yes Prof.” I heard everyone answered. The room is filled now with excitement. 

 

“Now, enjoy your week and the School Festival.” 

 

I stretched both of my arms as our 2-hour class ended. I really hate major subjects. 

We don’t have classes for the next two days to prepare for the School Festival that will start next week. College of Architecture will prepare a huge booth along with the College of Engineering. It seems like this year, we will win again. School Festival is indeed College of Architecture and Engineering’ forte. 

 

“Are you going to the meeting room?” I asked, after letting out a huge yawn. 

 

Sandara sighed but smiled. She seemed so tired. “Yep. Final preparation.” 

 

“Should I go with you?” I asked while standing up and preparing to leave. “The Department don’t really need me—“ 

 

“Oh c’mon, you need to practice.” She said while giving me meaningful glances. I know, I know. And I hate it. 

 

I pouted and sighed. “Who the heck gave my name to be the representative?” 

 

“Well, everyone..” She smiled, victorious smile. “I know deep inside you are enjoying this. You love the spotlight, don’t you?” 

 

I placed my arm at the back of my head and smiled. “Of course. But I just want to enjoy the School Fest this time.” 

 

“Well, everything is now set. The whole College of Architecture voted for you to be the representative. And when I say ‘whole’, I am not exaggerating it.” 

 

Last week, the College of Architecture posted an online poll: Who’s Is Next. Well, to explain it simply, who’s the next person who will represent the College of Architecture for this years Mr. School Fest. 

 

“B-But! I am expecting for the Intramurals and not the School Fest!” I ranted. “Dude, I even waited for my name to appear on the poll but it seems like—“

 

Excuse me for cutting your monolog but did you forgot that you already won last year? Give chance to others, dude!” 

 

I bit my inner cheeks. This is the first time she called me ‘Dude’ and good Lord, it gave me chills and excitement. 

 

“But I don’t want Mr. School Fest!”

 

Sandara blurted out a laugh making our classmates look at our way. “Aren’t you excited?”

 

“Not at all!” 

 

She held both of my hand and gently shook it while giving me a huge smile. “Dude, I am so excited to see you wear a beautiful dress.” 

 

I pouted. Yes, my handsome face and excellent reputation will be tainted because of this damn School Fest. Mr. School Fest is the annual torture to us, handsome creatures in our University. Whoever made this silly contest is so damn salty. Mr. School Fest is like cross-dressing contest per College. And luckily, almost everyone from my College wanted to see me humiliated in-front of everyone. 

 

“My reputation!” 

 

“Jiyong Sunbae!” one of the second year called me from the classroom door. “OMG! I thought you ran away already.” 

 

“I won’t allow him, don’t worry. He can’t escape his fate.” 

 

I looked at Sandara and I can clearly see her evil-look. I pouted and sighed. 

 

“Thank you so much, Sandara sunbae.” the second-year said. “Sunbae, the dress that we created is already done!” She beamed. I think she forgot that she’s in the senior department. “Come, come! You have to try it. Like, right now. Also, we need to practice your lines.” 

 

I looked at Sandara who’s eyes were sparkling with too much excitement. “You know what, I silently think that you’re the one who nominated me.” 

 

“Oh come on!” She exaggeratedly reacted, making me more suspicious. “You are famous, Jiyong.”

 

“I know but dude, my reputation!” 

 

“Forget about that reputation and just try wearing that dress.” She said while hurriedly walking towards the exit door. “If you are done with the dress fitting and practice, go to the Student Council room and wait for me there, okay?” 

 

I nod and gave her a flying kiss. Jokingly. “Take care.” 

 

She look so disgusted making me laugh. And hurt, a bit. “Don’t send kisses. Eww.” 

 

“Tch. See you later.” 

 

After a few seconds, I sighed. Damn, I want to see her talk in-front of her team. I’ve been doing that lately until the result of the poll released. Now, I am forced to ‘practice’ my ‘talent’ and my ‘intro’ for the contest. Actually, I can easily say ‘No’ but, oh well, Sandara asked me to participate this while saying this, and I quote: “I know you can ace this , Jiji! Raise the flag of College of Architecture.” Yep, she convinced me easily with those words because one, she used the word ‘ which is very rare making me at awe when she said those words; second, her competitive spirit is rising and lastly, she used ‘Jiji’ which is the magic word for all the unecessary argument. ‘JIji’ means ‘your argument is invalid’. That’s it. 

 

“Jiyong sunbae, I know this may sound so casual but I am really thankful that Sandara sunbae convinced you so easily.” She said while taking notes for some minor changes for the dress. “I mean, no one in their right mind will enter this crazy contest. Especially someone like you!” 

 

“Someone like me?” 

 

“Y-Yes. Famous, intelligent and h-handsome…” She then looked away. “I-I mean, this contest is just for fun, right? But l-look at you, making sure that everything is fine.” 

 

I laugh gently. “I don’t want to give 40% just because this is just for ‘fun’. Besides, Sandara will kill me if I lose. Her competitiveness is making me nervous.” 

 

“U-Uhm…sunbae…” 

 

“Yes?” 

 

“A-Are you and D-Dara sunbae d-dating?” 

 

What do you think?” I teasingly asked her but before she can say her answer, I smiled and lifted my arm. “Do I need to shave my underarm hair?” 

 

She looked at me and smiled. “It’s up to you, sunbae.” 

 

“What is your name again?” I asked while looking at her through the mirror. 

 

She blushed after meeting my eye. Who wouldn’t? “Nana. Nana Komatsu.” 

 

“You are second year, right?”

 

“Y-Yes, sunbae.” 

 

“Naah, Nana. You should really enjoy your university years. Study but don’t forget to enjoy and make friends. Because as far as I can remember, we are just bunch of noob first years in College of Architecture and then, boom, we will leave the University premises to do some filed exposure.” 

 

She smiled at me. Well, she is pretty. Her likes were my type, actually. Slender and model-figure. But, maybe something is really wrong with me lately. She seems… unappealing and very simple. And that is really weird. 

 

“U-Uhm, sunbae, I will fix some final adjustments to the dress. Tomorrow is the final rehearsal for the blocking and intro so please do your best.” 

 

I winked at her as I grab my bag. “Of course, I won’t let everyone down. Go, go. Archi!”” 

 

“Y-Yes…” 

 

 

I hurriedly went to the Student Council room. Maybe they are already done with the final meeting. I knocked and opened the door and fcking my fist clenched upon seeing the Student Council Vice-President, Mino, who’s arm resting comfortably to Sandara’s shoulder. With clenching fist and mind full of anger, I pulled his arm away from Sandara’s shoulder. 

 

“What the actual fck are you doing, Song Mino?” I growled. Damn, damn!