Chapter 16

Of All The Odds

Chapter 16 

So proud of you

 

 

I still can’t believe she told me those… plans. Wow. Well, I don’t even know if those were true or what. They say drunk people speaks truth… well, whatever. 

 

Sandara is now lying on my bed. Drunk. Her hair was all over her face. After carrying her, I got towels and wiped all the sauce on her face. She was snoring a little- well, cutely. It’s not a snore actually. More like a purring cat. 

 

 

I put a blanket on her body and left. I sighed. I can’t believe she’s sleeping on my bed. I know she’s living in dormitory and I knew her roommate so I called her informing that Sandara won’t be going home tonight. And that she’s with me doing our thesis. I don’t want them to panic. 

 

Once again, I sighed. If what she said were true, damn, that’s crazy. But she is Sandara. All she ever wanted for the longest time- it’s like an open secret to our batch- that she wanted to be the first. She wanted to beat me. 

 

I am confused and somehow, I understand her. She’s so used to be the best, she wanted to prove something. And maybe, I am lucky because she’s so open about it. She doesn’t lie. She didn’t even dare. 

 

I slept on the couch thinking about those words. If she really wanted to beat me, well, she can. Easily. Just by smiling and hearing her laugh, she beat me. I am whipped. 

 

And my feelings for her is true that if she wanted me to fail an exam, maybe just maybe, I’ll gladly do it for her. Damn it. If she’ll tell me that I should skip this whole semester, I’ll gladly oblige. Blindly. 

 

Yes, crazy. I’m crazy. 

 

 

 

The next day, I woke up upon hearing someone talking. It’s not just someone, it’s her. It’s Sandara. My Sandara. 

 

“Yes, mom. I’m fine. I slept on my friends house. Yes… yes. Thesis. Yes. I’ll go home later…” I heard her said. 

 

I stretch out my hand and look at the clock on the wall. It’s 10AM. I blinked my eyes. Smile. Damn. Why am I imagining waking up, every single day, with her on my apartment? 

 

Come on, get a grip KJ! 

 

 

“Yes, mom. I’m sorry I was so tired yesterday. See you later.” She ended her call. 

 

I look at her and well, she’s still wearing my shirt. I smiled. What a nice view. 

 

“Good morning babe…” I said. Smiling. 

 

She looked at me, apologetically. “Oh my gosh. I am so sorry Jiji.” 

 

She came rushing to me, almost made my heart stop from beating. 

 

“H-Huh?” I mutter, dumbfounded. Why is she apologising? 

 

When she sat next to me, she held my shoulder and slightly rub them. And it gives me shiver. Wow, look at your effect Sandara Park! 

 

“You slept on the couch because of me!” 

 

I chuckled. I gently pinched her cheeks. “It’s fine!” 

 

“I swear I will never, ever, ever drink again! Ever!” She said, while raising her hand. She gave me another apologetic look. “I know you’re really uncomfortable.” 

 

“I sometime do sleep here though. It’s fine.” I said. We both stand up and went to the kitchen. “How are you? Does your head hurts?” 

 

“ing hurts.” She said. Gently pressing the side of her head. 

 

I bit her lower lip. She cuss, and it’s ing… y. 

 

Woah, woah! I shouldn’t think this way! 

 

I chuckled, erasing all those weird… thoughts. Maybe I should be the who should apologise. Come on Ji, it’s not like you’re a ! And this is Sandara! 

 

 

“Hey, words…” I said. “And you cooked.” 

 

She nodded. “I woke up around 9AM. T’was the first time!” She giggled. “I slept well.” 

 

“Hmmm…” I simple mutter. Suppressing a small smile. 

 

I sat on the dinning table and looked at her. She looks… fine. I mean, yeah. Sandaras hair’s in a ponytail, messy ponytail to be exact. There’s no sign of any make-up yet she look so… damn it. Plus with my shirt on? I’d kill for this view everyday. 

 

Enough for those thoughts! Tok early for that! 

 

 

“Eat. Eat.” She encouraged. “I’m really sorry.” 

 

“As what I’ve said, it’s fine.” I replied. “Stop apologising babe…” 

 

She paused for awhile, I saw a slight twitch on her lips, and then put a cup of coffee. I smiled. 

 

 

“So… did I do something crazy yesterday?” She inquired. Her eyes started to move around- meaning she’s uncomfortable and nervous at the same time. 

 

I saw her bit her lower lip. Damn those lips. Again, Kwon Jiyong! It’s ing 10 AM! 

 

 

“Hmmmm….” I said, trying to . “You can’t remember… it?” 

 

Her eyes widened. She looked at me and oh boy, she’s so cute and adorable and I wanna kiss her so bad— again, enough with those… thoughts! 

 

Chill bro! 

 

 

“…it?” 

 

I wiggle my eyebrows. “Yeah…” I said. Oh, great timing! Hoarse voice huh. 

 

“Did I…”

 

“Hmmm?” I mumbled while drinking coffee. 

 

“Did I… try to kick your balls? Or something?” 

 

 

I almost spit the coffee that I drank. Of all things… that one? 

 

I was now holding my stomach from so much laughing. It hurts, damn it! I was gasping for air! 

 

“H-huh?” Sandara looked at me, confused. 

 

“What the heck were you thinking? Huh?” I brushed the tear on the edge of my eyes. Wow, good laugh early in the morning. You are really something Sandara Park! Wow! Just wow! 

 

 

“I… I don’t know! I wasn’t even thinking when I said those w-words!” Now she covered her face with both of her hands. 

 

I know, I know. Her face were red. She’s now beyond blushing at this point. 

 

“Hmmmm. Babe it’s fine.” I said. I went to her side and gently pressed her shoulders. “You didn’t kick my family jewels.” 

 

I heard her shrieking making me laugh for more. “Jiji!” 

 

“Come on! You didn’t do anything! After drinking, like it’s just water, you just passed out! Head dropped straight to your plate!” 

 

She looked at me, pouting her lips. I am asking all the Gods to please, please, stop me from kissing here right now. Damn it! 

 

 

“R-Really?” 

 

“Yeah… so chill. You didn’t do anything weird.” 

 

I lowered my body and I don’t know, I just kissed the top of her head, like it’s the most natural thing to do. I almost punched my face because why the heck am I doing these? We are not dating! Am I even allowed to do these things to her? Touching her freely? Hugging her? Heck! If she’ll decide to really kick my balls this time, I won’t be even mad! This feels like I am taking advantage of her! Goddamnit! 

 

“O-Okay…” I felt her stiffened. 

 

I waited for a couple of second, but she didn’t do anything. So, I just went to my seat and yes, awkwardly drank the coffee. I can’t even look at her in the eyes. 

 

 

“I-I got scared there…” I mumbled. 

 

“Hmmm?” 

 

“I thought… well, whatever.” 

 

Yes, I am a coward. I can’t even say it. 

 

“Anyways, your mom called?” I said, changing the topic. Gladly she didn’t pressed the topic earlier. 

 

“Yeah. I forgot to tell her.” 

 

“You were dead babe…” 

 

“I swear, I won’t drink next time!” She now looks so embarrassed. 

 

“It’s fine though. Drinking and chilling from time to time.” I started eating. I got the fried rice and the sausage. Looks delicious. “I won’t judge you.” 

 

“Nah, it’s really embarrassing.” 

 

I chuckled. We started talking about… yes, you are right. Acads. As expected from the Sandara Park. We talked about the thesis and the internship. And her plans after graduation. 

 

“You’ll enter a review school?” I asked. Now were both at the sink washing the dishes. 

 

“Yeah.” She shortly replied. “I’m just really really hoping it won’t be expensive.” 

 

“What do you mean?” I look at her. 

 

“I’ll be paying for my review fees.” 

 

“Huh?” I look confused. “How about your parents?” 

 

“Uhh, actually they’re not paying.” 

 

My eyebrows furrowed. “What do you mean?” 

 

“R-Remember, uh, last time? W-When I was… uhh… stressed? That was the day… uhmm… well, my dad tried to convince me to drop everything and… proceed with a pre-law course.” 

 

 I loo at her, with disbelief. “What do you mean?” 

 

“My dad stopped sending me money for school stuffs well because he wanted to me to quit Architecture and enrol to pre-law—“

 

“What the….” I closed my eyes in disbelief. That was almost a year ago! 

 

“B-But it’s fine! I still got good grades, scholarships and stuffs a-and… my moms giving me allowances so, yeah.” 

 

 

I didn’t speak. We finished washing the dishes and she’s now wiping the table. We both went silent. Realisations hit me like a bulldozer. 

 

A year ago, she was so stressed that I saw her, almost everyday, crying and not eating at all. She lost weight and she started to study like a bull. That was the time that I kept on pestering her to be with me so I can see her eat. It was almost a year ago and yet… I have no idea! I thought it was just a small ‘family argument’ because she doesn’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to pry either. 

 

But both of her parents were lawyers. I heard they’re really good. And lawyers has good money. 

 

How can parents… I mean, how come her dad won’t support her dreams in life? If she really loves Architecture, let her be! And she can still go to Law School even with Architecture as her pre-law! She can excel in both! I know because I knew Sandara! 

 

So maybe, this is the reason why she kept on insisting on graduating with Latin Honours? Because she wanted to prove to her parents, especially to her dad, that she can excel on this field? That she loves this? 

 

I bit my lower lip, it felt like my lips will bleed. I somehow understand her. 

 

I went beside her and hugged her from the back. I hope she will forgive me for being so touchy but… I can’t help it. I don’t fell pity. I just… 

 

 

“You did a really good job, Sandara… I am so proud of you. For being so strong…” 

 

 

And I heard her soft sobs. Damn it.