Chapter 9: Heartstrings (JK)

Love Maze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeongguk watches Jimin head to the back, he sighs and stares at his cell phone. It was Dahyun, since last night when Dahyun kissed him out of nowhere, he has not been answering her calls or messages. The phone goes to voicemail and places on the table, he pushes the laptop aside and gets up. As he waits for Jimin, he decides to take more pictures to put on the website, pictures of the menu hanging on the wall, the wall with licensing certificates. Jimin comes back with plate two cups of noodles with a chopstick and banana milk on the side. Jeongguk laughs, and takes a picture of him, Jimin stares at him, surprised.

“Why’re you taking a picture of me?” Jeongguk shrugs his shoulders,

“I don’t know.” Jimin places the plate on the table, smiling,

“Let’s eat then I’ll make your cake.”

“Okay, but can I take pictures of you making the cake, it’ll be good for the website?” 

“Ahh, I don’t know, I don’t like my photograph being taken that much.”

“Why? You’re really photogenic.”

 Jimin chuckles, brushing his hair back, “I don’t know, it’s weird. I’m not that photogenic.”

“Wow, you’re being modest, you’re really beautiful…” Jeongguk’s voice trails, realizing what he just said as Jimin, shyly stares at him,

“Um, thanks I guess,” he says, slightly scratching the back of his ear. “Let’s eat, I’ve to open in a few minutes.”

Jeongguk nods his head, watching take a sit and he follows him, sitting across from him. Jimin pushes a cup of noodle with pieces of sausage on top, the smell made Jeongguk’s mouth water. He has been occupied and locked in his room, looking up for companies he wanted to work with, so he can let his father know, he has not eaten anything aside from breakfast. He waits until Jimin eats, realizing this is the second time they’re eating together, and it made his heart flutter, his heart racing. Do I really like him? Jimin glances at him,

“You’re staring.”

Jeongguk averts his gaze to the noodle, his ear red, he thanks him for the lunch and starts eating. He picks up noodles and puts them in his mouth, quickly eating. I don’t like him!  I don’t like him!

“Whoa! You’re going to choke,” says Jimin, “Slow down.” Jeongguk clears his throat, slowing down his pace, cursing himself for looking like a fool, embarrassed, he avoids Jimin’s gaze. After finishing the noodle, he picks up the banana milk and drinks it in one gulp. Jimin stares at him, dumbfounded, Jeongguk clears his throat.

“After you’re done, I’ll need your contact information for the website.”

“Okay,” says Jimin, his lower lip, Jeongguk chuckles nervously, hoping Jimin doesn’t catch him staring again.

After eating their ramen noodle and taking pictures of the cake Jimin made from scratch, Jimin goes and takes off the out for lunch sign from the door. Jeongguk holds on to the box of chocolate, strawberry shortcake, not wanting to leave but there is no reason for him to hang out with Jimin going back to work.

“Thanks for everything,” says Jimin.

“You’re welcome,” replies Jeongguk, he clears his throat, “Um…do you want to go work out tonight?”

“Huh?”

“Go to the Gym, nearby here after work, you go there right?”

“Not really, I just taking my flyers.”

“Oh, okay, um, I’ll see later than.”

“Bye.”

Jeongguk comes home and bumps into his sister,

“Hey,” says Chaeyoung, “Is something wrong with your phone?”

“Why?

“Because Dahyun has been worried sick about you, you haven’t been answering your phone.”

“I was busy.”

Jeongguk walks past her, heading to his room, he opens and puts his bag beside his bed and sits at the computer chair. He opens the box with the cake, he stares at with a huge grin, not believing Jimin made him a cake from scratch, even though he was there taking pictures, it still felt surreal. He is not someone who usually goes crazy over sweet things like cake, the door opens and Jeongguk turns around.

“What the hell is going on between you and Dahyun?” asks his sister, glaring at him, arms crossed. Jeongguk sighs, he has been avoiding this all morning, which is why he locked himself in his room all day.

“What did she say to you?”

“Nothing, other than asking if you were alright. Why’re you ignoring her calls anyway?”

“I’m not…I just got caught with things that’s all.”

“Well, call her back, I can’t believe you’re more focused on taking a bunch of pictures than your fiancée.” Before Jeongguk could add another word, Chaeyoung walks away, slamming the door shut, Jeongguk exhales. He hates how Chae-young and Dahyun are close friends despite the age difference, his sister has always doted on her.

He takes his cell phone and rings Dahyun but quickly hangs up, tossing the phone on the bed. He stares at the cake, wondering why at a time like this, the first person to pop in his mind is Jimin? He knows what’s at risk, if he keeps avoiding Dahyun like this, she will eventually end up coming to his house, and then his parents will learn the truth. But the thought of putting up an act with Dahyun was suffocating him, back then it was enough to just nod his head and smile, doing as his parents and Dahyun want but now the very notion of it makes him numb, what changed? Wonders Jeongguk. What is about Jimin that makes his heart want to climb out of his chest, what is so special about him that makes him want to forsake all his plans? The risks are too high, if his father finds out about the problems with Dahyun, he will never hear the end of it?

Maybe just staying away from the café for a while will help to think straight. Maybe I’m just reading into things- the kiss just has me all over the place, if I put in more efforts, everything will go back to normal. Jeongguk sighs and picks up the phone off the bed and dials Dahyun’s number. He paces back and forth, staring

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter