Twists and Turns

Taking Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

| F I V E  M O N T H S  L A T E R |

 

“Do you love me, Oppa?”

Avoiding the girl’s eyes, Kyungsoo takes a sip on his coffee before glancing at his watch. “We’ve only been dating for two weeks, Yerin-ah. Isn’t it too fast to say things like that?” He replies before giving her the quickest stare that only lasted for about two seconds. “I mean—” He clears his throat awkwardly. “I like you and you like me, isn’t that enough for now?” He suggests. He cannot believe he’s having the same conversation with a girl again, it’s been only been three months since he decided to start dating – hoping to find the love he’s looking for somehow.

But all of the girls he’s been seeing are the same, they expect too much.

“Oppa I love you. I want my friends to meet you already, you’re the first guy I have dated who has a really great career so I want us to work out. I mean—I want this to be serious, why do I feel like you don’t feel the same way?” The girl, Yerin, asks. Kyungsoo chuckles while scratching his head. “Uhm, look. . . yes you’re right, I do have a great career but is that the only reason you’re dating me?” Kyungsoo asks back, in disbelief of what she is saying. “You’re handsome, you’re charismatic, you’re smart, you’re well-mannered and yes, you’re successful and rich. What more could I ask for? You’re like the perfect guy.” Yerin answers with confidence. Kyungsoo just cannot stand women who dates him for his status. Out of all the five girls he tried dating in the span of three months, all of them obviously wanted him for his career.

He rolls his eyes before drinking again. “Oppa. . . I love you.” Yerin clings on his arm. “I prefer girls who don’t think I’m perfect.” He replies making the girl move away with a big frown. “So are you saying you don’t love me back?” She asks. Kyungsoo clears his throat before facing her. “Okay, I’m sorry. Yerin-ah. . . you’re a wonderful lady and I’m sure a lot of guys would adore you but. . . I don’t think this is working out at all.” He admits, he’s been planning to do this since their second date but he just couldn’t find the right time. He never really felt right since the first time he met her. “What—no, this is working out. I really like you Oppa.” Yerin holds him once more but this time, he stood up. “Look, I really hate doing this but I don’t want you to further expect more from me. Let’s stay friends okay?” he pats her head before taking out a few bills to put it on the table.

“I’m so sorry, good luck and I hope you find the right guy. Bye, Yerin, thanks. Nice meeting you.”

Finally, he said those words he’s been dreading to tell her. He left the café as quickly as possible and got into his car. “Oh god, that was not easy.” He mutters, the same exact sentence he always says after breaking up with the girl he’s dating. He drove off to go straight home. He didn’t have duty today so he doesn’t have any other plans.

Just as he arrived home, he was welcomed by his best friend, Hyunwoo who’s standing right by the door of his house. Hyunwoo has been in the States for almost a year already because of work and the whole time, they could only communicate through texts and calls. “Oh shoot—Hyunwoo?!” He exclaims in surprise before pulling him in for a tight friendly hug. “What the hell, you didn’t tell me you’re back?” he asks before pulling away quickly. Hyunwoo smiles back while nodding. “I just came back two days ago. Wow, you’ve changed so much. When was the last time we met? Like, I think after the funeral?” Hyunwoo asks making Kyungsoo silent while giving a solemn smile. “Oops sorry. Anyway.” Hyunwoo changes the subject right away while putting an arm at Kyungsoo. “I missed you, bro. Want to make out?” The guy jokes earning a light punch on his tummy from Kyungsoo. He opens the front door and let his best friend in first. “But seriously man, you kind of gained weight. That’s a good sign, right? So, how’s it going with your life now? You dating?” Hyunwoo asks before walking straight to the couch to sit.

“I just broke up with a girl today. She’s like the fifth girl for the past five months.”

“Yah, what the . When I said you should start dating, I didn’t mean break girls’ hearts everywhere, bro.”

Kyungsoo chuckles in response before walking straight to his open-concept kitchen. “By the way, we haven’t talked in a while. What’s up with you?” he asks while taking out the leftover food he cooked last night. “Yeah, I know, the last time was like, four or five months ago? Sorry, been busy with work and I’ve been dating too. Sorry, boyfriend duties.” Hyunwoo proudly says making Kyungsoo smile widely. “WOAH, who’s the unlucky girl? Is she a foreigner ‘cause I might need to practice my English to ask her what she saw in you?” He teases making the guy glare at him jokingly. “Yah, I may be an in general but when it comes to the girl I love, I’m like. . . Prince Charming okay? And also, she’s Korean.” Hyunwoo defends. “Speaking of which, since when did we switch places? You being an and me being the Prince Charming now?” He adds earning a ‘middle finger’ from Kyungsoo.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter