Last

Taking Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Oh. . . Dr. Kwon, what brings you here?”

Kyungsoo piles his folders on the side of the table before standing up to bow to his fellow doctor who just got into his office. The woman hesitantly walks over to his table while rubbing her hands together. “So I heard about the plans our families are making. . .” Dr. Kwon Yeseul gets straight to the point. “Take a seat please.” Kyungsoo offers first just to be polite. Yeseul bows before sitting down. “Oh, you just found out too?” Kyungsoo asks. The woman chuckles while running her fingers through her long straight hair that’s tied in a ponytail. “Actually, I kind of had a feeling that it’ll eventually happen, somehow. I’ve always known my father’s desire to open up a business through partnerships and recently I found out he’s been spending time with your parents too.” She explains. “I’m really about this, you if it’s too much for you, you really don’t have to force yourself into it. I declined it too, to be honest.” She adds up with a shy smile.

“Oh really? Yeah. . . that kind of surprised me.”

“I mean I know opening up a family clinic is very convenient for a lot of people, I would love to work there but I believe there is no need to merge our families in such way.” Yeseul shares her thoughts that’s basically similar with Kyungsoo’s. “And also. . . I’m currently seeing someone so you don’t have to worry, I’ll try my best to talk to my dad about this.” She adds while nodding. “Oh, it must be more of a burden to you then.” Kyungsoo replies giving her a light bow. “Are you too?” She then asks making Kyungsoo silent for a moment. “No, I’m not seeing someone. But don’t worry, I still won’t let them get us through that, I guarantee you, okay?” Kyungsoo reassures seeing the anxiety in her eyes, as if worried that he would eventually end up accepting the offer just because he doesn’t have anyone in his life.

“Well. . . that’s good to know. Sorry for taking up your time, Dr. Do.” Yeseul stands up to bow. Kyungsoo does the same and offers to walk her to the door. “Uh by the way, I have a question. This may sound really random but bear with me.” Kyungsoo speaks up before she could step out. “Yes?” She asks while hugging the clipboard on her chest. “Uhm. . . do women. . . act more reserved and feminine when they really love the man?” he asks while rubbing his hands together, internally embarrassed of what he just ask. Yeseul looks away while thinking. “Uh—this may be a personal thing for me or not but I do act more reserved and feminine when I’m feeling awkward and not comfortable with a man. Or. . . if the man makes me feel like I need to act or speak a certain to impress him, I do tend to act more reserved. If I really love the man. . .” Yeseul pouts while tapping her lips, in deep thought before looking at Kyungsoo with a giddy smile.

“If I really love the man, I’ll be the exact opposite of reserved and feminine—well, I would be if I know the man loves me as much as I do. If you know what I mean? Like of course I would really love the man if I do not have to be someone else to make him love me, right?” She adds in between giggles before finally stepping out. “Anyway, I hope I helped you in anyway on that. I’ll go ahead now, thank you Dr. Do.” She bows politely before finally walking off.

He closes the door and leans on it.

A small chuckle comes out of him as he shakes his head. Walking back to his table, he quickly grabs his clipboard before going out to take the place of one doctor on leave in the E.R. for today.  Once he arrived there, he checked the first few patients that he has seen earlier. One of patients he got to next wasn’t in a bad condition and only had a mild stomach ache and nausea. “Okay, so I’m going to prescribe you 40mg of Pantoprazole good for a month.” He speaks while writing on the prescription paper. “If you’d like, we could schedule an appointment for you to do tests since you’ve mentioned about your past diagnosis for Gastritis. Or do you want to give this medication a try first?” He asks nicely. The woman rubs her tummy while looking at to him, somehow, she had a growing smile. Her cheeks were turning red. “Are you okay, Hera ssi?” he asks while patting the patient’s arm. “I’m okay, d-doctor.” She mumbles before looking away.

The whole time he was speaking, the woman just stared at him.

He noticed it but thought she was just listening intently.

It wasn’t the first time that there was a patient acting this way with him.

“Hey, Rara unni. Here’s your water.” A very familiar voice spoke from behind making Kyungsoo turn. It was her. It was Kim Taeri. “H-hello.” She bows while slowly walking to the patient’s bed to hand her the bottle of water. “He prescribed me a medication already and gave me an option to go for tests, should I?” The patient, Hera asks while opening the bottle of water. Kyungsoo clears his throat before giving his attention back to his patient. “So do you want me to schedule you for tests?” he asks. “Hmm. . . maybe I could give the medication a try first then if it doesn’t work, I will definitely come back, Doctor. . .” The woman glances at his name plate. “Doctor Do.” She says, smiling like an idiot again.

“Okay, awesome. Would you need a doctor’s note for today?” He offers while moving over to the next page on his clipboard. “Yes, I missed half of the day at work. Thank you.” The patient nods while glancing at her co-worker who went with her, Taeri. As Kyungsoo signs the paper, Taeri tries her best to act unaffected. Seeing his face. . . seeing him in his white coat. . . it wasn’t something she could naturally ignore. It wasn’t easy. “Here’s your doctor’s note. Take some rest. Get well soon and be careful on your way home.” He bows before walking to the next patient, not giving Taeri a second glance anymore. Taeri walks out of the E.R. with her co-worker, her eyes still gazing at Kyungsoo’s back figure on their way out.

“Holy , did you see that doctor? Why are hot doctors surfacing these days?” Hera speaks as soon as they were out. “Wow, you were just crying in pain earlier.” Taeri hisses back, nudging the woman. “I know, I still am but seeing his face made me more nauseous.” Hera grins back while hugging Taeri’s arm. “I’ve actually met him before. I know him.” Taeri admits while looking straight ahead. Her friend, as she had expected, squealed. “Wait—what? Oh my god, you do?” Her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter