Still works?

Taking Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Staring at the mirror across her, Taeri brushes her teeth with her brows meeting at the center. She’s in deep thought about what happened earlier. “Hmm. . . his life sounded tough right there.” She mumbles out incoherently, having a toothbrush in at the moment. She remembers how he mentioned being cheated on and losing his lover at the same time – she thought those two things would probably be the most painful things that could ever happen in a relationship. She bends down to the sink and starts rinsing . Just as she was doing so, she noticed a faint music coming from downstairs. She finished off quickly before skipping as quietly as possible out of her room.

She holds onto the railing by the stairs and peeked down. A gentle piano music was playing, it soothes her ears somehow. Her eyes searched for the guy whom she spotted standing by the tall window that had its curtain wide open. He had a cup on his hands, his eyes seem so far away looking outside. “Jesus, this man is depressed as hell.” She mutters to herself but couldn’t help but to say it louder than she should have. The man, Kyungsoo, turns around looking at her direction. “Is the music too loud? I’m sorry, I’ll turn it down.” He walks over to the entertainment area, by the TV stand. “N-no, it’s okay. I was just curious; the music is calming.” Taeri answers awkwardly before making her way downstairs.

She watches him turn the music down while scrolling down his phone, seemingly looking for a new song to play. “Do you like music?” She asks out of curiosity – yet again. “Just like you’ve mentioned, it calms me down as well.” He answers softly yet in monotone. Taeri just stood there by the foot of the stairs, watching as he walks to the open-concept kitchen. He places his cup down the kitchen island before walking to the fridge. “Would you like something to drink? Coffee? I just made some.” He asks with his eyes darted down the fridge. “Uh—actually, I’d love some. I’d probably stay up quite late to do some work-related things.” She agrees before walking to the kitchen.

“Aren’t you in a vacation?”

She turns to him with an awkward chuckle. “Yeah, kinda.” She answers nonchalantly before walking to the coffee maker. “I mean. . . it’s not technically work for me—like uhm. . . I’m a writer. Novel writer so. . .” She tries to explain more accurately while pouring herself some black coffee on a mug. “I see.” Kyungsoo answers while nodding. He walks over a little closer to her while leaning by the counter. They’re now standing across each other in a similar position. “So you said you’re a doctor?” Taeri asks before taking her first sip of the coffee. “Yes. In Yowon Hospital at Gangnam.” Kyungsoo answers. Taeri taps her fingerstips on the surface of the mug while trying to make up another topic of conversation. She could have just left but she was already there and she didn’t want to be rude of his offer even if it means she’s going to have to brush her teeth once again after drinking coffee. She’s that kind of person who’s too awkward to say no even if they want to say no.

“So what do you write about?” Kyungsoo then beat her into it and asked. He leans his back on the counter this time while looking straight. “I do a combination of psychological and thriller stories or sometimes either one of them.” She answers confidently however she saw a tinge of smirk on his lips after that. She loses her confidence replacing it back with her embarrassment from the previous incident. “Okay, fine. I did overreact earlier if that’s what you’re smirking about. I apologize, alright?” She bursts finally getting an appreciative nod from him. “No, it’s okay. That was pretty cute actually.” He mutters still in monotone before taking a big sip on his coffee. He puts the now empty cup down the sink befor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter