Midnight Blues

Taking Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After recently finishing his five-hour surgery, Kyungsoo stays in his office to check onto some other patients’ clipboard. It’s already ten in the evening but he won’t finish ‘til two in the morning. Ever since he met up with Hyunwoo last week, he hasn’t really been texting nor calling him fearing that it would lead to the guy asking him to meet up with his girlfriend again. He isn’t ready to meet someone whom he had a short but special bond with, he isn’t ready to face the reality that he just missed his chance. He suddenly remembers the story Taeri told him – about the guy he bumped into the café a few years ago that she had a ‘three-second’ eye-contact with.

He thought. . . what if Nami wasn’t with him at that time?

It could have been very different. Could it have been the first day fate tried to have their paths crossed? He still clearly remembers that eye-contact she was talking about, if he knew she would be meeting her years later, if he knew she would be the first ever risk he would be willing to take all his life. he could have seen that eye-contact differently.

He thought, what if fate only tried it the second time around hoping it could finally work? Having them cross paths once again five months ago, what if he finally took that chance? What if he just took it slow with her instead? Things could have been more serious if they started the right away just like how she wants her relationships to be.

“I’m such an .” He mutters to himself before placing the clipboard he was holding down his desk. All he could think of right now is all the if’s he could have done. Whether he ended up having feelings for her or not, it’s not going to be easy now that his best friend got involved. He’s been doing okay forgetting everything that has happened on the island, it wasn’t that hard and he knew he would eventually get over it through time – until this happened.

This would be his third chance of crossing paths with her.

The only difference now is that. . . he can’t actually take the chance anymore.

All he could ever be to her now is as her boyfriend’s best friend.

He’s the best-friend, nothing else.

His thoughts were shortly interrupted with a knock on the door. “Come in.” He says before piling up the clipboards neatly back in a drawer. The door opens and he looks towards it to see the least he would like to see right now, Hyunwoo. He takes a big gulp before curving his lips into a smile. “Woah, what are you doing here? Y-you could have texted me first, I’m still working.” He says as he makes his way towards his friend. “What’s up?” he asks before sharing a short bro-hug with him. “Eh~ that’s okay, I won’t be long anyway.” Hyunwoo replies before taking a seat on the couch in the corner. Kyungsoo follows him and sits on the other end. “Bro, is it way too early to move in with Taeri? This is just an idea, okay, so don’t overreact.” Hyunwoo finally spills out his reason of coming.

“Uhm. . . well—” Kyungsoo scratches the back of his neck while chuckling. “I mean, not like tomorrow or something. Say, maybe two, three months from now?” Hyunwoo adds. “You should ask her y-you know, it’s up to you guys. I don’t think I have a say on that.” Kyungsoo answers while shaking his head. “I know but you know how impulsive I can get, can you just let me know if. . . it’s not okay to do it too early? I mean, I’m currently finding a new place to move into but I just think. . . like. . . we meet up everyday so I mean what’s the point, right? Why not. . . move in?” Hyunwoo explains, his eyes moving nervously at his best friend. Kyungsoo clears his throat before looking at his best friend intently. “Tell me honestly, think about it carefully. . . do you really love her?” he asks, getting nervous himself. “Well yeah, so much.” Hyunwoo answers without hesitation. “You’re not just being. . . like attached or impulsive cause I know it’s been a while since you last dated seriously, so I’m just. . . concerned.” Kyungsoo asks while clearing his throat. “I swear I’m not. If I wasn’t serious, I wouldn’t ing leave my job in the U.S. just to be with her. I swear, man. This woman’s something, she’s someone you just need to take a chance on or you will regret it your whole life.” Hyunwoo answers while chuckling.

“I know right. . .” Kyungsoo muffles while looking away. “Whatcha say, dude?” Hyunwoo asks tilting his head at his best friend. “I said I know what you mean, I understand you. One advice I could give you. . . maybe you should get to know each other more first? Give it a few months and then think about it again. Good enough?” He asks while patting his friend on the arm. “Besides—” he clears his throat before standing up. “—she might be one of those girls who. . . believe in romantic, meaningful relationships so she might not like the idea of. . . moving too fast.” He says before walking back to his table.

“Oh yes, dude. You’re totally right.” Hyunwoo nods in agreement. Kyungsoo grabs a bottle of water from his table to drink. “I actually have a feeling she’s a .” Hyunwoo suddenly adds making him spit a little bit of his water. “R-really? She told you that?” Kyungsoo asks, trying to hide the fact that he knows it’s bull. “No, she didn’t. I know she’s been into relationships in the past but in my eyes, she’s just too innocent and pure. You’ll know what I mean when you meet her. But anyway. . . that’s one more problem, because I have a feeling that she’s. . . inexperienced. . . I kind of try to h-hold myself until now. For her. I never even tried to initiate any topic regarding that cause I don’t want to make her feel uncomfortable in case she is really. . . a . I swear she’s that cute.” Hyunwoo explains, slowly smiling at the thought of her.

“So y-you haven’t done anything yet?”

Hyunwoo grins before nodding. “I thin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter