A New Found Family.

Food for the Gods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Food for the Gods: A New Found Family.

 

          The tourist angel was busy strolling around the town, taking photos, meeting new faces, and eating variety of food. He should have had his breakfast at ‘Mangiare da Dimenticare’ downstairs, but he went out too early that the restaurant was still closed. While having a breakfast inside a restaurant, he saw the little boy Mateo riding a bike delivering newspaper in every house. That scene made him feel like he really went back in time. He wore a gentle smile before sipping in his hot fresh brewed coffee. Later on, the thin yet jolly kid with his bright sparkling blue eyes and wide smile rushed towards the busy tourist, who was reading business emails.

 

Mateo:

Oh, Angel!

 

          Well, Jeonghan was still not used to the name so it took him to see Mateo running towards him first before he could recognize the call. He was surprised of the young enthusiastic man who approached him.

 

Mateo:

Buon Giorno!

 

Jeonghan:

Buon Giorno, Mateo!

(He smiled)

Are you working early this morning?

 

Mateo:

Yes! I’m helping my father with the delivery of the newspapers. But I’m done now. I already have delivered the last newspaper to Grandpa John (the owner of the restaurant).

 

Jeonghan:

How kind of you.

 

          Jeonghan reached him the menu.

 

Jeonghan:

Have you eaten?

Choose whatever you like, young man.

(He smiled)

 

Mateo:

But I don’t have money right now and…

(Whispered to his ear.)

Here’s quite expensive.

(His cheeks flushed.)

 

Jeonghan:

Don’t worry, it’s my treat.

(He smiled gently.)

 

Mateo:

Really?

(He acted cutely that Jeonghan was reminded of his baby sister.)

Then let me do something for you after.

 

Jeonghan:

No need.

I just want a company right now.

 

Mateo:

I can also accompany you to some tourist spots here.

 

Jeonghan:

Your parents will be worried about you.

 

Mateo:

Not when I am with you.

(He replied happily.)

I’ll just let them know where we will go.

 

          Jeonghan find him cute and patted his small head.

 

Jeonghan:

Okay then.

What will you order?

(He couldn’t take his eyes off the boy with his cuteness.)

 

Mateo:

(Busy choosing his breakfast)

Hmmm… can I choose a chocolate cake for breakfast?

 

Jeonghan:

(He was surprised of the boy’s choice for his breakfast.)

You can try it after a meal maybe?

 

Mateo:

Oh, I already ate bread this morning.

 

Jeonghan:

Okay. How about a drink?

 

Mateo:

I’m okay with milk; though, I want to try coffee like you do but my mom doesn’t allow me.

 

          The innocent child, trying to be an adult captured Jeonghan’s heart.

 

Jeonghan:

Because you’re still a kid. How old are you?

 

Mateo:

7.

 

Jeonghan:

You know, I started drinking coffee when I was 21.

 

Mateo:

Really?

 

Jeonghan:

Yes. So wait a little bit longer. Do you want to have a taste?

 

Mateo:

I want.

(He said stubbornly.)

 

Jeonghan:

Okay, just be careful. (Because it’s hot.)

 

          Jeonghan gave the young man his coffee to let him have a taste. However, Jeonghan did not add any sugar and creamer on his coffee. In short, it’s a plain black coffee and it would taste very bitter for a child, like Mateo, who have sweet tooth.

 

          After having a taste, his face literally wore a bitter expression.

 

Mateo:

What was that? It’s too bitter!

 

          Jeonghan giggled.

 

Jeonghan:

It’s bitter for your age. Try it when you get older. I tell you, it’ll taste better.

(He winked.)

 

          So, they ordered what Mateo wanted and was served with a hot milk too. Jeonghan asked Mateo if he could take a picture of him while eating, and the boy just let Jeonghan do what he wanted.

 

          He suddenly felt that JeongGi was alive again. They have the same choice when JeongGi was still at his age. He guessed that all kids were like that, but one thing surprised him the most. While eating, Mateo scraped the chocolate icing off the bread before he took a bite.

 

Jeonghan:

Why? Don’t you like the icing?

 

Mateo:

I like them. I just want to eat the bread first before I eat the chocolate.

(He smiled)

And when I am almost done with my milk, I’ll put some in my cup and drink it.

(He giggled)

Oh! I think that’d be great!

(He was so excited just by thinking of his experiment.)

 

          He was astonished on how he said it. It was how exactly his sister said to him when she was young. He thought that maybe, his sister was really watching and taking good care of him as she promised. Well, except for the misfortunes he encountered on their hotel for the past months. He did not want to think that his sister did that too. He again, showed a very soft and pure smile while watching the young man in front of him.

 

Jeonghan:

(At the back of his mind.)

You must be one of her friend.

(He sighed realizing that he’s getting crazy to think of that.)

How silly I am.

(He released another sigh.)

 

          After they’re done eating, Mateo asked Jeonghan to go with him and asked his parents if he could join him because he’d like to tour the wandering angel in their beautiful town. His parents allowed him; though, he was given a curfew. Mateo couldn’t do anything but to do what they say rather than not going at all.

 

Mateo:

Let’s go!

(He shouted excitedly.)

 

          Jeonghan and Mateo held hands while walking. They went to many places, especially the famous ones, but there were also a secret ones. After they had their sumptuous lunch, the boy brought him to some kind of labyrinth that only a few locals know. It looked like a secret garden beneath the ground. It was scary at first because it was dark, but then as they went through, the light coming from an open metal grill on the ceiling shone brightly that it gave life on what was beneath it.

 

Jeonghan:

What’s this?

 

Mateo:

Some call this ‘Il Giardino Nascosto di Eros‘ or ‘The Hidden Garden of Eros.’   Jeonghan: It’s beautiful. (Jeonghan was astonished of what he was seeing at the moment.)   Mateo: It is! Actually, my grandma and her friends maintained this that’s why it’s this beautiful. They said this was a dungeon before. Scary, isn’t it?               When Jeonghan uttered no words after saying the history of the place, he thought that he became scared.   Mateo:

Don’t worry, if you’re scared, I’ll stay with you. I’ll protect you.

(He suddenly felt like a super hero.)

 

          Jeonghan was really stunned on Mateo’s words as those were the same exact words, JeongGi said the day she left him.

 

Mateo:

(Became more worried with his Angel’s surprised face.)

…but now look at all of these flowers. They’re all pretty! (After a while) Angel? Do you want to go out now? I’m sorry.   Jeonghan: Ah, no. I’m fine. I’m not scared at all… It’s just… beautiful.   Mateo: Don’t be scared. I’m just here. (He smiled)   Jeonghan: (Felt warmth in his heart.) Thank you. You’re such a brave kid.                 The two boys spent their time there until before the sun went down. They walked together with their hands held tightly. Unfortunately, Mateo had to go before he gets some scolding from his mom. Jeonghan wanted to eat dinner with him, but the boy insisted that he must go home. Instead of dinner, Jeonghan bought him some bread and pastry from a bakery enough to share for their whole family.   Mateo: Oh, thank you. These are my favourite. Angel, just call me whenever you need me. You know where to find me. (He giggled) Thank you for everything. I enjoyed this day with you.   Jeonghan: I should be the one to say that. Thank you so much, Mateo. Buona Sera! (Good evening!)   Mateo: (Waved his hands from a far.) Buona Sera, mio angelo! (Good evening, my angel!)   Jeonghan: (He murmured) I should be the one to say that too. (He smiled.)

 

          Jeonghan went back home alone while walking in a slow pace until he reached the restaurant in his apartment. He went inside the restaurant to eat his dinner. As usual, he was busy scanning and printing his photos for the day that he didn’t notice that the person who’d take his order was the tall and charming young man from his neighbourhood.

 

Mingyu:

Buona Sera! May I take your order?

 

Jeonghan:

(Busy looking at his photos.)

Oh, anything you recommend.

(He said with a sweet voice.)

 

          Eventhough, Jeonghan did not look at him, Mingyu felt so happy that time.

 

Mingyu:

How about drinks?

 

          He finally looked at the waiter.

 

Jeonghan:

Anything that matches your recommendation.

(He smiled softly, but there’s still a hint of sorrow in his eyes.)

 

          Jeonghan was surprised upon seeing his neighbour inside the restaurant.

 

Jeonghan:

Oh, it’s you!

 

Mingyu:

(He was delighted because the angel recognized him, but as expected, he didn’t show it in his expression and casually replied to him.)

Yes. I work here.

 

Jeonghan:

I see.

 

          Before he reply, Luisa interrupted.

 

Luisa:

Oh, Angel, there you are!

 

Jeonghan:

Buona Sera, Luisa.

 

Luisa:

I hope you had a great day.

 

Jeonghan:

Yes. I did. Thank you.

 

Mingyu:

(Pissed at his aunt’s bad timing.)

I’ll get your order.

 

Jeonghan:

Oh, thank you.

 

          Luisa sat in front of Jeonghan and had a little talk to the lonely angel. Later on, Mingyu served a vegetarian dish called ‘Crema ai Funghi Linguine’ with a fresh cold lemon iced tea.

 

Jeonghan:

What’s this called?

Intrigued with the pasta.

 

Mingyu:

It’s called ‘Crema al Funghi Linguine’ it’s a mushroom cream based pasta with a hint of pesto,

(He smiled as he put the parmesan cheese on the table.)

Please enjoy!

 

Jeonghan:

Interesting!

(He smiled)

 

Luisa:

Can you serve me that too, darling?

 

Mingyu:

(With his eyes wide open.)

Zia (Aunt), I only made that for him. I will serve it to you later. (In Italian.)

 

Luisa:

Our Carlos, why don’t you let you aunt taste your food?

 

Mingyu:

I’ll let you, later. Just order anything else.

(With a troubled smile.)

Zia, you’re making it awkward.

 

Luisa:

You’re the one who’s making it awkward.

(Then, suddenly, she disturbed the eating Jeonghan.)

How was it?

 

Jeonghan:

(Responded after chewing the first bite.)

It’s delicious!

 

Mingyu:

Really?

I’m glad you like it.

 

Luisa:

You know, he’s (Mingyu) the only one who can make that dish in this restaurant.

(As his aunt, she was also proud of his nephew’s talent; though, Mingyu won’t let her taste his food sometimes.)

 

Jeonghan:

(He was amazed on how delicious it was.)

This is really good! Thanks for recommending it to me.

(He smiled)

 

Mingyu:

That was nothing.

(He blushed all of a sudden.)

 

          Luisa became envy of Jeonghan while eating that mysterious pasta, Mingyu gave him.

 

Luisa:

Is that really good?

(Looked at Mingyu)

Carlos, I’ll have that.

Now, go! Go!

(She hit Mingyu’s bottom and pushed him back to the kitchen.)

 

Mingyu:

(Sighed)

Alright, alright!

 

          Meanwhile, Mingyu came back with the same order as Jeonghan, but that time, he gave Jeonghan a piece of cake, a soft and fluffy cheese cake. Mingyu’s aunt looked at him sternly.

 

Jeonghan:

Oh, I did not order that.

 

Mingyu:

It’s in the house.

(Flashed his canine teeth with his killer smile.)

 

Jeonghan:

Oh thank you!

 

Luisa:

And mine?

 

Mingyu:

Sorry, aunt. That’s the only piece left. I’ll make some for you tomorrow. (In Italian)

(He displayed an awkward smile.)

 

Luisa:

Where did the other pieces go, my beloved nephew?

 

Mingyu:

Ask your husband. He ate almost all of it.

 

Luisa:

That pig! He didn’t even care about me. Tsk!

 

Mingyu:

I promise, I’ll make you some tonight so you can eat it tomorrow.

 

Luisa:

Make sure of that.

 

Mingyu:

Yes, Zia.

(He winked)

 

          The reason why Mingyu was free to make everything he wanted because the couple allowed it. He’s free to use everything in the kitchen, as long as he’s not wasting anything. Mingyu was close to Luisa’s husband, and from time to time they had this bonding where they would experiment on food to create something new. So far, most of Mingyu’s experiments turns out if not very good, it’s just okay. They could just eat it as their meal during breakfast, lunch, and dinner even snacks. They believed that Mingyu has a gift of creating special and delicious dishes out of his love and passion, and the couple was willing to support him on everything he does because they have the same passion. They could understand him; moreover, they treated him as their son, since they couldn’t conceive a child on their own when they got married 12 years ago.

 

          Back to Jeonghan, he took a bite of the cheesecake and let it linger on his mouth for a while. Surprisingly, it’s very tasty and not so sweet. He loved the smooth texture of the cream cheese that literally melted inside his mouth. Jeonghan was surprised by himself because he finished the whole slice in just a blink of an eye.

 

          Mingyu and Luisa were just staring at him while waiting for his response.

 

Jeonghan:

This is the best cheesecake I’ve ever tasted. Wow!

It’s very fine, and the taste is just perfect!

(He smiled sincerely.)

 

Mingyu:

Wow! Thank you.

 

Luisa:

I’m so proud of you, dear.

(Tapping Mingyu’s back.)

I knew you have a talent like me. It’s just that, I wished that you reserved me some too.

(She giggled)

Glad you enjoy your meal, Angel.

Oh by the way, Angel this is my nephew, Carlos. In case you did not have a formal introduction to each other yet…

Well, I can feel it because our Carlos is a shy boy.

 

Jeonghan:

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter