A Face with the Saddest Smile

Food for the Gods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Food for the Gods: A Face with the Saddest Smile

 

-Spello Italy-

 

          If a person ever dream of escaping from the present to past, there’s a perfect place for that! In Italy, there lies a small peaceful town with their well-preserved walls and houses made of small blocks from medieval era; moreover, their alleys were made of small well decorated fine rocks. To complement more of that fantastic view, the flowers that adorned their walk ways were stunning! Some were floating outside their windows and some stayed on the ground.

 

          It was a bright and sunny day, when a tourist visited the place. As soon as he stepped his feet inside the town, he was greeted with the old folks and children with a smile. They knew that he needed an immediate assistance, so they helped him find his lodging. The young man was a bit shy since everyone was so accommodating and friendly; in addition, they kept on looking at his angelic face, with his fancy short wavy hair.

 

          The beautiful tourist named Jeonghan looked so beautiful and gentle with his loose pastel colored plaid long-sleeves tucked in his light washed slim jeans, matched with khaki boots. His appearance was so soft and refreshing that no one could ever pass by without looking at him. Besides, his beauty is quite unique and the people just love his big dark brown eyes. They were so fascinated with the tourist that little by little, they gathered around him. Despite his angelic looks and smile, it was noticeable that he wore a sad eyes.

 

          Meanwhile, a child initiated to have a talk with him. He spoke in English because he knew that he’s a tourist and based on how he looked, he’s not somewhere from Europe.

 

 

Child:

Are you a lady or a man?

(The child bore a confused face)

 

          With that question, the boy’s grandmother stopped his mouth from saying anything more.

 

Grandma:

I’m sorry about that.

(She smiled gently)

I’m Betina. Nice to meet you, child.

Where are you from?

 

Jeonghan:

(He replied in English)

My name is Jeonghan. I’m from Korea.

(He smiled gently.)

 

Granpa:

What a beautiful child!

(He exclaimed)

 

Jeonghan:

(He smiled shyly.)

Thank you sir.

 

Granpa:

Niccolo.

(Reached his hand for a handshake.)

Call us whenever you need us, child.

What’s your name again?

(He forgets things easily due to his old age.)

 

          All of them giggled including Jeonghan.

 

Jeonghan:

My name is Jeonghan, Grandpa.

 

Grandpa:

Oh, how do we call you, then?

(He found it hard to memorize, so he’s going for another option.)

 

Child:

He said she’s Jeonghan, grandpa.

 

          Jeonghan noticed that the boy was still confused with his gender.

 

Jeonghan:

(He smiled and calmly explained it to the boy.)

I’m a boy.

 

Child:

Woah!

Why are you so beautiful?

(The boy completely fell in love with Jeonghan.)

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you. You too.

 

Child:

I’m Mateo.

 

Jeonghan:

Nice to meet you Mateo.

(He smiled)

 

Grandpa Niccolo:

Yohan (Jeonghan), child, why are you alone?

 

Mateo:

He’s Jeownghan (With a circular sound) Grandpapa.

(Though, he got it the first time, he forgot the correct pronunciation easily.)

 

Jeonghan:

Oh, it’s Jeonghan.

(He giggled)

 

Mateo:

Perhaps you have an Italian or at least English name, so we could easily remember?

 

Jeonghan:

(He giggled)

Oh, okay. Can you give me a name?  

 

Mateo:

Angel!

Because you look like one.

(He merrily grabbed and played with his hands.)

 

Jeonghan:

Angel? I don’t deserve the name.

(He laughed)

 

Mateo:

You do.

Can I visit you some other time?

 

          The curious Mateo just want to play with their new neighbour.

 

Jeonghan:

Sure.

 

Grandma Betina:

Mateo, I’m sure he’s going to be busy with his travelling.

(Smiled at Jeonghan)

Forgive him, he’s just a child.

 

Jeonghan:

It’s just fine. He’s a wonderful child, Grandma.

 

          Finally, after a little walk, the neighbours and Jeonghan already arrived at a small building called “Piccola Avventura” which means Little Adventure in Italian. The small apartment was located at the heart of the town. Jeonghan chose a small rather than a luxurious one because he wanted a very peaceful and simple life far from the life in the city.

 

Grandpa Niccolo:

Luisa! Luisa!

Your beautiful guest has arrived!

(He shouted)

 

          Then, they heard rushing steps from the stairs. The lady in her late-thirties greeted them with her ragged and somehow dirty clothes. She stood up attentively and welcomed her young guest with the biggest and brightest smile Jeonghan had ever seen; however, the town folks were faltered.

 

Georgina:

(Another neighbour)

Luisa, look at yourself!

 

Luisa:

Oh!

(She smiled)

I apologize about all the dirt. I was cleaning the fire place. One of my guests mistook it as a garbage can.

(With a little pissed face.)

Then, I decided to clean it all at once, since I remembered that I haven’t cleaned it for the past months.

(Looked back at her guest)

Oh, you must be…

Wait a minute.

 

          She ran to the counter and looked for the guest list.

 

Luisa:

Yoon Jiyounghan (With a slang accent)

 

Jeonghan:

It’s Jeonghan, Madame.

(Hearing them calling his name amused him.)

 

Mateo:

Call him Angel!

(He interrupted.)

 

Luisa:

Oh, that’s great!

 

          Just then, she became busy opening her drawer to find the key for Jeonghan’s room. She seemed not to find it, and the young Mateo noticed that something was inside Luisa’s apron pocket.

 

Mateo:

Is it the one in your pocket?

(He pointed out to the metal peeping out of her big pocket.)

 

          Luisa looked at it and smiled.

 

Luisa:

Oh, yes!

(She handed it to Jeonghan)

Here you go!

Have a nice stay, Ms. Angel.

If ever you need me, just ring the bell.

(She smiled)

Come, I will show you the apartment.

 

Jeonghan:

Ummmm… Ms. Luisa, I’m a man.

 

Luisa:

Oh! I’m sorry.

You’re really are a gorgeous young man. I thought your hair and clothes are just like some of the youngsters (girls) who already visited here.

 

          Jeonghan did not reply a word but a giggle. They went up the stairs and the owner showed him his little apartment. The room felt like home with all the woods and vintage furniture in it. It was so cozy. Jeonghan became glad that he made the right choice.

 

Luisa:

You’ll be here for a month right? Enjoy your stay here. Treat us like your family, dear. Don’t be shy. I’m glad you choose this humble home of ours.

(With her eyes and smile glittering in happiness.)

 

Jeonghan:

I will. Thank you so much.

 

Luisa:

Do you have any request for dinner?

 

Jeonghan:

Oh, any will do. Thank you.

 

Luisa:

Any questions?

(Waiting for his questions before she goes back to work.)

 

Jeonghan:

How old is this building, Ms. Luisa?

 

Luisa:

(The kind hearted owner gladly told the story to her guest.)

Oh, please, call me Luisa.

(She smiled before she continued.)

Would you believe if I say that this building is older than my great great grandfather?

(Let out an amusing giggle.)

Before, this serves to be our house. My dad told me that my great great great grandfather

(Counted how many ‘greats’ did she add to confirm.)

used to have a big family, so they decided to make as big as this. They also considered that if their children would eventually have their own families, they wanted to give them home. And that explains the big rooms.

Later on, we decided to make this as an apartment, since our relatives were already residing mostly in the cities.

As you can see, it’s been standing here for about a hundreds of years already. We just have to do some maintenance and curing in order to preserve this building well.

Don’t worry its safe.

(She winked.)

 

Jeonghan:

I see. It’s very beautiful.

 

          Jeonghan was fascinated in the small room equipped with everything needed in a household. He toured himself and saw that that small room really has everything –because he used to live in a big house, even his condominiums were big as well-  It has a bathroom, a bedroom, a dining room, a living room, a kitchen, a washing room for laundry, and a balcony. It was compact and it amazed the young beautiful rich young man.

 

Luisa:

I’ll call you when dinner is ready, my dear.

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you.

How much for the dinner?

 

Luisa:

Oh, it’s for free.

(She winked)

It’s my treat tonight.

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you.

(He smiled)

Do you serve breakfast too?

 

Luisa:

Oh, yes.

What would you like?

Actually we have a small restaurant downstairs. You can tell my husband what breakfast you want for tomorrow. He’s in charge of the kitchen.

(Winked)

 

Jeonghan:

Oh, I see.

Thank you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter