The Food Critic

Food for the Gods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Food for the Gods: The Food Critic

 

          The next day, Mingyu rose early rather, he couldn’t sleep because he was excited to cook their breakfast. The early bird opened the restaurant before the sun had risen, he cleaned the kitchen thoroughly, and he prepared the food merrily. Waiting for the hand of his clock to reach at exactly 7 o’clock in the morning, as soon as he finished his dish, he went to the apartment to look at his angel’s door. Yet, no one was coming out from the wooden door. He just thought that Jeonghan had a good sleep, since he was tired in their activity yesterday. After a few while, the jolly Mingyu returned inside the apartment again to look for him.

 

          Simone already woke up and prepared himself for another day in his beloved kitchen. He found out that there was food served on the table and thought Mingyu made it for him -because he sometimes does-, especially when he’s in a good mood. He woke his wife up and presented what Mingyu prepared for them. Luisa was glad upon seeing it because it has been a while since Mingyu cooked them a wonderful breakfast with all the garnish and stuffs. The food was decorated beautifully, as well as, the beverage. They got excited just by looking at it.

 

 On the other hand, Mingyu did not give up. This time he went up and came near to Jeonghan’s door. He tried to knock, but he thought that he might disturb his new friend in his sleep. Then again, Mingyu decided not to disturb him. He went back to the kitchen and saw his Zio and Zia feasting over his magnificent breakfast that was supposed to be for him and for Jeonghan. They looked so happy holding a wine- note: wine early in the morning!- as if it was like their first date again.

 

Mingyu:

Zio, Zia why are you eating those?!

(He panicked)

 

Simone:

Thank you, Carlos. I know you’re such a great person. It feels like new!

(With a romantic tone of voice while smelling the aroma of the wine.)

 

Luisa:

Grazie! (Thank you)

 

Simone:

Cheers!

 

          Since it was done, Mingyu could do nothing but to sigh and to re-do the pasta again. He strolled back to the kitchen, walking in a slow motion because he felt betrayed. Good thing that their guest was not yet up. Meanwhile, Simone and Luisa were praising Mingyu’s work with sweet words, but that doesn’t brighten Mingyu’s day.

 

Mingyu:

Wine, in the morning- really?

(With a soul less expression.)

 

          Meanwhile, after making the second set of breakfast, he made sure that the two oldies were already full, so that they won’t eat his second well-made pasta with a thin mozzarella cheese inside the dough, which made the pasta a little thicker. So, the young man went inside the building again to check if Jeonghan was already out of his room. He checked his watch again and saw that it was already 10:00 in the morning. This time, he went closer and leaned his ears on the surface of the door, and it suddenly opened. The poor Mingyu was in the state of panic, and of course, Jeonghan too that they could only show their surprised smiling face at each other.

 

Jeonghan:

(Recovered from the shock)

Buon Giorno, Mingyu.

 

Mingyu:

B-buon Giorno, Jeonghan.

(With still a surprised face.)

 

Jeonghan:

Are you waiting for me?

(He giggled)

 

 

Mingyu:

o-

(Thought that there was no escape since he got caught in the act.)

Yes.

 

Jeonghan:

Sorry, I woke up late today.

 

Mingyu:

(He smiled)

It’s okay. Breakfast is ready.

 

Jeonghan:

Okay.

 

          The both of them went inside the restaurant and ate with the other costumers. Jeonghan was so surprised that he was receiving a very fancy breakfast with the pasta and the garlic bread combined with freshly squeezed juice served in the table. They sat and he was excited to eat the food. He took his first bite and it somehow gave him a surprised look because it became way better than the one he first tasted.

 

Later on, Jeonghan, who was holding not his camera that time, but his laptop and phone, was so focused on typing. It made Mingyu stare at him for a while. Somehow, he felt a little sad because he was not appreciating his food as he saw Jeonghan taking small bites at a time. Mingyu’s lips began to bend down as he felt completely disappointed. Meanwhile, Jeonghan was wearing a very bright smile looking at his phone while chatting with someone.

 

Jeonghan:

Mingyu-ya, smile!

 

          Jeonghan focused his phone to Mingyu’s disappointed face; although, it was a request, Mingyu couldn’t smile because he was a little annoyed on how Jeonghan behaved in front of the food.

 

Jeonghan:

Mingyu-ya, why are you not smiling?

(Asked him with his big confused eyes.)

 

Mingyu:

Nothing.

(He answered with a weak voice.)

 

          Suddenly, a call came from Jeonghan’s phone.

 

Jeonghan: (Talked in Korean)

Yeobosaeyo?

 

Seungcheol and Seungkwan:

How are you?

 

Jeonghan:

I’m fine.

 

Seungcheol:

Where are you now?

 

Jeonghan:

At a fine dining restaurant with one of the best chefs in the world!

 

          Of course, Mingyu couldn’t understand most of it, since he did not practice the language anymore.

 

Seungkwan:

I wanna see him! Let’s go for a video call.

I want to ask him if he could cook for me too.

(He giggled)

 

          After a while, Mingyu slowly becoming irritated because of the fact that he was busy talking to someone while he was with him; in addition to that, he was not focused on the food. Soon after, Jeonghan realizes that he was being rude because he was with someone then he was talking to another person over the phone.

 

Jeonghan:

Mingyu-ya, sorry. These two were too worried about me since I did not contacted them lately.

 

Mingyu:

(With an obvious annoyed voice.)

It’s okay. Just finish your breakfast.

 

Jeonghan:

Are you mad at me?

(Looked at Mingyu closely.)

 

Mingyu:

(Of course, he’d lie.)

No.

 

Jeonghan:

(He knew he was at fault of Mingyu’s expression.)

Mingyu-ya… I’m really sorry. I know it was rude to-

 

Mingyu:

I don’t mind.

(Replied with a straight face.)

 

          The video was already on, and the two on the other line put on the speakers on, so they could hear them talk. Same with Jeonghan and Mingyu.

 

Seungkwan:

Hey! Why am I seeing a table sheet?

Where’s the master chef, you are talking about?!

 

Seungcheol:

Ya, be quiet!

 

Jeonghan:

I’ll call you guys later.

(He felt guilty for making his chef sad.)

Hey… this breakfast is fantastic.

(With a soft voice.)

The taste improves a lot.

(Waiting for Mingyu’s answer with a faint smile.)

 

Mingyu:

Thank you.

 

          Jeonghan didn’t know what to say because he thought that he really made Mingyu upset.

 

Jeonghan:

(Tried to cheer him up.)

Did you put mozzarella cheese in the pasta?

(Of course, his delicate taste buds could sense it because of the thickness and chewiness of the pasta. Considering the web-like texture when you cut the pasta by your mouth.)

 

          Mingyu was totally surprised by it, and his mood began to change.

 

Mingyu:

How did you know?

 

Jeonghan:

(He was relieved that Mingyu already answered him back.)

Because… did you know that I have a very sensitive taste buds?

(Boasted himself.)

 

Mingyu:

Really?

(Became interested)

How’d you figure it out?

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter