- Five

Harum Scarum

"Good morning." I greeted, tying my hair into a ponytail and walking up to dad, kissing him on the cheek, then did the same to Mom.

"Where you off to?" Mom asked, opening the door outside and grabbing the newspaper on our doorstep.

"I'll be hanging out with a friend. I'll be back soon." I reassured, clutching unto my shoulder bag, before waving them a goodbye. My phone buzzed. And thinking it was Jaehee, I checked my messages.

From: Hobi

Topic: Have fun!

Me and Jungkook are together right now! You know, checking out that ramen shop. I hope you have fun. And yes, you can keep my slippers. Stay safe, Yuna!

Then he sent a picture of Jungkook, with a mouthful of food in his mouth. I laughed and saved it, since I just love having blackmails of him. I pocketed my phone once again and started walking towards school.

Once I entered campus, I saw Jaehee waving at me from a distance. She approached me. "Hey! I'm glad you didn't ditch our hangout."

I cocked an eyebrow as we started walking side by side. "Why would I ditch our hangout? You were the one that ditched me half of the week."

She laughed. "Shh, I have a secret. Let me tell you later. Anyways, where we off to first?"

"The best restaurant in town!" I announced, laughing as I did so. "Anyways, can you unfold more things about yourself? Do you have any siblings?"

"I don't have any siblings." she scrunched up her nose in annoyance and blew some bangs out of her face. "I mean, I wish I did. But I don't. It's always so lonely! And you?"

"Yeah, I have an older sister that's studying in Seoul." I shrugged. Her eyes widened at my words. 

"Seoul? Just how rich are you?"

I rolled my eyes. "It's because all my grandmother's profit somehow got into her care. It's not like she even knew grandma that much. I was the one always taking care of her! But hey, I'm not the favourite child."

"I guess it's hard too, then." she sighed, kicking some pebbles on the road and lowering her gaze. "What did you and your grandma used to do together?"

Most of the time, I didn't like talking about my childhood. Because honestly, Grandma and Jungkook were the ones that only made it brighter in the first place. Believe me, I love my parents, but I wasn't the child that grew up with them.

"She taught me how to play the piano." I replied, smiling at the thought. "If you're gonna ask me about my hobbies, count that in and drawing."

"Are you surprised that I'm chinese and don't know how to play the piano, AND I at math?" she sulked. "You draw? Oh god. Why didn't you tell me any sooner? I mean, it's not like I'm good at it. I actually ."

"At least it's one of the things I'm good at." I rolled my eyes. "I don't think I have any more talents than that. I'm not good at singing or dancing. I don't actually do any sports."

"Not anyone can be good at physical activity." she crossed her arms. "I mean, at least you're pretty. You're cute, and boys actually find you attractive."

"Stop exaggerating." I rolled my eyes and pursed my lips.

She laughed. "But I'm not. You're really pretty."

I fet heat rise up my cheeks at her words. I didn't like talking about boys. Maybe because it would we awkward if I talked about it with a guy, and I had no interest on conversations like that. Don't blame me. I grew up with Jungkook as an only friend.

"God, enough about me." I said, tapping my cheeks to try and hide my blush. "And more about you. What do you do?"

"I do ballet." she said, posing a piroutte. "Basically classical dancing. Don't expect me to be good in hip hop and freestyle. I . And I sing too!"

"Your talents make opportunities for you pretty wide." I commented. We finally entered the restaurant and got ourselves some seats.

"What would you like to order?" I asked her, opening my menu and smiling at the waiter that approached us.

"Oh, just this meal set right here." she said, lowering her menu and pointing at a meal set in mines. I nodded and looked up at the waiter.

"Uh.. this meal set right here please. And 3 glasses of pineapple juice, and this fried chicken with a bowl of rice, this steak, and this fried fish." I said, then lowered my menu. The waiter nodded and shifted his gaze nervously from me and Jaehee.

Was my order too much?

"Uh, for takeout, ma'am?" he asked.

I shook my head, earning crazed gazes from the waiter and Jaehee. "I'll eat it right here. Why not?"

The waiter then nodded and excused himself. Jaehee's mouth went agape.

"You're a monster if you can eat all of those in one sitting." she playfully pointed at me. "Rhee Suyung, are you crazy? You'll get a stomachache from eating too much."

I shrugged. Jungkook was used to me being such a food enthusiast. "I won't. Believe me, I've ordered more. And besides, it's my treat!"

"Wow." she laughed. "Anyways, let's talk about boys."

Again?

I guess Jaehee's personality was starting to shine. She was a bit girly, but she was overall nice. I like her, but I wasn't used to this kind of conversation and presence. But if I wanted to be a little bit more girly, at least for my sake and hers, I should get used to this by now.

"Not interested." I grumbled.

"But why?" she groaned.

"What makes them so interesting, anyways?" I said, resting my chin on my palm and tapping my fingers on the table.

"Like, you obviously like your friend." she wiggled her eyebrows at me, making me choke at my own saliva. Did I just hear her right? Am I dreaming?

"J-Jungkook?!" I exclaimed, banging my hand on the table out of shock.

She nodded. "Uhuh."

"What got you that idea?" I grumbled.

Me and Jungkook have been friends for years, but no one has ever told or suspected us to like each other. I never even thought about it! That guy is like.. an annoying, younger brother.

"Just kidding." she laughed, making me sigh in relief. "But do you have a crush on someone?"

My mind wandered off to Valor, but I decided not to bring him up. "No."

"Like, anyone at all?" She moved her head closer. "You can tell me, Suyung! Then I'll tell you mine."

"I told you, I don't have a crush on anyone." I waved a hand.

She scoffed. "No one at all? How about Kim Seokjin? Or.. that handsome idol Chanyeol? Or-"

"Seriously." I sighed, laughing softly on how curious she were. "I don't like anybody. What's got you so curious? You like someone and you want me to relate... do you?"

She immediately pursed her lips. "You didn't have to ask! I was about to tell you!" she blushed, then sulked in her seat. "Don't tell anyone, okay? You're one of my friends."

"Your only friend?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"Hey! I've been close with Hoseok, Lisa, and Mina these past few days!" she reasoned.

"Yeah, yeah." I playfully rolled my eyes and inched my head closer. "Just tell me already."

"Alright.. here I go.." she trailed off, sighing and moving her lips closer to my ear. "I like Jungkook-ah."

I nodded.

I moved my head away and nodded again. "Yeah, goodluck with that."

She frowned. "B-But why? You gotta admit, he's cute!"

I laughed. "He's never really had a crush on anyone before.. I guess. I mean, if you count that one girl that he had a crush on when we were 6, yeah. The girl was 20."

She blushed. "He.. he's into noonas, then?!"

I shrugged and nodded. "Don't be too lovey dovey with him. Just be yourself and don't try to change yourself for the guy. Who knows? Maybe he'll like you too."

That, I wasn't sure of. Jungkook was pretty picky with girls, and well, I guess everything will make sense later, depending on how Jaehee acts around with him.

"Suyung.." she started, shifting in her seat and wrapping her hands around mines. "Please, please tell me more about him! I want to know him more, but he's so distant."

I furrowed my eyebrows at her request. I guess this is what crushes do to you, huh? Too bad my lovelife's too complicated.

"Well.. try and get to know him more.. in a formal way." I said. "He can be a bit shy, so be patient. Sooner or later, he'll be more open with you. Look, just don't run away from us and I'll try my best for you two to get along, okay?"

She lets go of my hands and smiled widely. "Ah. Suyung, thank you so much! Anyways.." her gaze flew to the side of my head. "Your hair is really beautiful. Why won't you try to let it down?" she moved her hands as if trying to pull my hairtie, but I moved my head away.

"Oh, please no. I don't like it when my hair is down. It's too hot." I excused, but it was partially true. Another thing was, I don't really see the use of letting it loose.

She huffed, and finally, the food came. We started talking about school and random topics, like cities, songs, artists, and I soon found out that she was into western music. She mentioned a lot of artists that had names maybe a little too difficult for me to pronounce.

Once we were finished with our meal, I started showing her around town. I toured her to where she could buy the best ice cream, to the best street foods. And finally, I took her to the small park in town, where we could feed carp. And I was lowkey obsessed with it.

"I prepared some bread with me." I said, handing her a piece as we leaned on the wooden railings and started throwing some bread on the pond, the koi fish biting into it as if it were their last meal.

"Woah. Today was nice." she smiled, turning to me. "Thank you for touring me around, Suyung. You're the best." she winked, giving me a thumbs up.

"Don't mention it." I said, my gaze still steadied on the waters. I could see our reflection. We were new friends, but I started hoping that our friendship would last.

Soon, we were sitting down and started swinging our legs, the river flowing down below us and the bridge. "Hey, just curious.. if you were to choose.. vanilla or chocolate?"

"Vanilla. No doubt. I hate chocolate. I'm allergic." I said quickly. "What's with the question?"

She shrugged and smiled genuinely. "Nothing."

"Anyways, you told me earlier that you sing.." I started, throwing the last crumb of bread in my hands into the water. "Sing for me, friend!"

She glanced at me like I was crazy. "What?"

"Sing a song for me." I repeated, smiling. "You know how to speak english, right? I just want to hear you sing an english song."

She rolled her eyes. "1000 won to get me singing." she laughed.

"Fine." she gave in. "I'm going to sing the song that means a lot to me..."

"Alright." I said, glancing at her and patiently waited for her to start singing. (VID ABOVE)

I listened as she ended her song. I understood some of the english lyrics, but if I made it all up in my mind, the lyrics wouldn't make sense. But since it meant a lot to her, it probably had a deep meaning to it.

She had a nice voice. It was angelic. And though I didn't understand the song, I felt a swirl of emotion on the way she sung.

I started clapping. "Bravo! There's a new star in town! And her name's Liu Jaehee!" I grabbed a plucked flower from beside me and threw it over her head. She laughed and playfully bowed.

"Say.. I know this is a dumb thing to say." she sighed. "But.. would you like to my friend.. like.. always?"

I turned my head and smiled at her, shrugging. "Of course."

She cocked an eyebrow and held out her pinky finger. "Promise?"

I glanced down on her finger. This seemed familiar.

"Yuna.." Jungkook started, turning his head and sitting up from the snow.

"Yeah?" I asked, holding my laugh, since his hair had.. lots of snow.

He diverted his gaze to the sun setting in front of us. "Can we... always be friends?"

My eyes widened as I turned to him, an unconscious smile playing on my lips. "We will."

He crossed his legs and held out his pinky finger. "Promise?"

I smiled at Jaehee and looped my pinky finger around hers, just like what I replied to Jungkook.

"Promise."

"Promise."

_________

A/N: Yay! More friendships! Anyways, I told you to enjoy the fun, right? What do you think of Jaehee so far? What do you expect to happen furthermore in the story?

Next chapter will be.. different.