- Eight

Harum Scarum

"How much do you trust them?" He started, crossing his legs and clasping his hands. I was bothered by the fact that he was helping me, despite not even knowing each other. But when I do think about it, he was expecting a price. 

I ran my fingers through my hair. Was that question really necessary? "Are we getting to go to these suspects? I trust the three of them dearly." 

He stared at me for a while, maybe out of annoyance or was just observing me, but he nodded and stared down at my phone again. "Tell me more about your general lifestyle. Do you drink? Do you have a job? Do you hold a grudge against someone?" 

I pursed my lips and shifted on my seat. "You actually expect me to drink? I'm only 16! And as for a job.. I do. It's the only ramen shop in town, so I think you're familiar with that. And as you can see, I'm not too social.." 

He nodded. "Give me the people you has interactions with out of your group." 

I bit my lip and held up a finger, thinking. "Ah.. I can only think about Mingyu." 

"What's your relation to him?" he asked, typing in his phone. I felt a bit flattered on how professional he was being. Did he even have.. any friends? And I mean that in most respect as possible. 

"He's Jungkook's cousin." I explained. "I pursued him to hold a dance competition in Seoul. He expected a price, but as of now, I don't even know how to pay him." 

He moved his head closer. "Well, that's another suspect." 

"Another?" my eyes widened, and I couldn't help but get annoyed. "You're really suspecting my only friends?" 

He cocked an eyebrow. "Hmm. Let me tell you something, Suyung. When it comes to this kind of cases, no one is innocent. Don't trust anyone." 

"Where are you getting at?" my voice lowered. "Spit it out." 

"For one week, starting next week." he held up a finger. "Don't talk to anyone in the 4 suspect circle. One week. This can unfold huge clues." 

I didn't know how to react to that. I trusted the three with all my heart, but at this case.. I needed to trust Namjoon too. But does he trust me? I don't even know. But if it takes to get PY to apologise for everything he has done and be punished, so be it. 

"Fine." I grumbled. "I'll do it." 

- unknown number - 

Good luck on searching for me, love. I hope you do soon. 

PY. 

Namjoon read quietly, then looked up at me. "I guess he holds fantasies for you. This makes it more dangerous. Don't go out at night alone." 

"I know that." I gritted my teeth. When was PY going to stop this mess? 

"He's stalking you." he said, moving his head closer. "He's here." 

My heart pounded. He was.. here? 

I was about to stand up out of anger, but Namjoon stopped me by holding unto my wrist. "Follow me and don't let go." he instructed, standing up and starting pulling me with him. "Don't act suspicious." 

"Where are we going?" I complained, lowering my voice. "He was there inside the library! Why can't we just get him? Why do we have to be so indirect when we can get him on the spot?" 

"This is a case we shouldn't act aggressive on." he chided. "He may not be there - it may be his men. What if there's more than one of them? That doesn't sound too good. Whoever they are, they are sneaky." 

I stayed quiet until he led me outside of campus, where my friends were sitting by the stairs. They stood up and approached both of us. 

"Suyung." Jaehee frowned, walking up to me and wrapping her arms around me in comfort. I wasn't able to hug back as Namjoon still had his hand around my wrist. As Jaehee hugged me, I could see Jungkook's eyes wander down to our hands. 

"Sorry." Namjoon apologised once realising the boy's stare. 

"Yuna, are you okay?" Hobi kept a smile on, but his tone said otherwise. He placed a hand on my shoulder. 

I nodded, Jungkook approaching me as well. "What happened in there?" 

"PY was stalking her in the library too." Namjoon shrugged, showing everyone PY's message on my phone. "Keep in mind that PY may not just be one person. They could be two. One, the mastermind and most vicious one out of them, and two," he held up a finger. "The one that matters the most out of now-" 

"The stalker." he finished. "He's the one we have eyes on for now. Once we get him, he will be a huge help. Suyung, don't mention our suspects to anyone." 

I stayed quiet for a while, feeling my friends' stare burn, but nodded. 

"Anyways, you all better go home, freshmen." he pocketed his hands and handed me his phone, which I gladly took. "Remember what I told you, Suyung. Next week." 

Jaehee scowled. "What is he talking about?" 

"Hey! You do realise we're in the same grade." Hobi complained, as we proceeded to walk, while Namjoon still stood by the school. 

"Whatever." he shrugged. "Gotta go." he said in english, before waving goodbye. 

"You heard what he said." Jungkook started, when the four of us were now walking together. 

"I need to go to work." I stated, hurrying my steps so I could walk in front of the three. "You all better go home. Alright? It's my shift by now." 

"Yuna-" 

"You had your dance practice when I was in the library, right? Both of you." I eyed Hobi and Jungkook, who even though seemed fine, I know they were tired. "Rest. Please." 

"Yuna, I'm going to come with you." Jungkook said firmly. 

I gritted my teeth. "Jungkook, go home. Hobi, please. I want you two to rest, I'll be fine." 

"We-" 

"I'll go with her." Jaehee spoke up, cutting off Hobi. She waved a hand at the boys and made her way to where I was. "You two better get home safe. Okay?" 

Finally, the two gave in and in a flash, they were gone. I turned to Jaehee. "When is this going to stop.. really." 

"Suyung.." she sighed, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I want you to remember one thing; whoever PY may be, whatever he may do to blackmail you, me, Hoseok, and Jungkook will always stand by your side, alright? Lighten up, girl." she smiled, lightly pinching my cheek. 

I laughed unconsciously. "You're right. Maybe we should talk about the festival." 

"Tell me more about it." she placed a hand on her hip and cocked an eyebrow. "There's festivals like this in China as well. But I've only been to it once, when I was six! I don't remember anything." 

I smiled. "Well.. the festival lasts for about a week. It's kind of like.. what do they call it? An amusement park? There are some fun games and prizes! And on the first day, we get to watch fireworks.. and what else?" I started thinking about the activities. 

"Ah.." I rested a finger on my chin. "There's also a ferris wheel!" 

She shivered. "Ugh. Everything was going well until you mentioned that."

I kicked a pebble, a bad habit I had ever since I was a kid. "What?" 

She scoffed. "I'm scared of heights. Like.. how can you go so high in the sky without feeling scared? My legs tremble, I close my eyes, I try not to cry, and in short- I do my bets to avoid them." 

"I didn't know you were scared of heights." I shrugged. "But then.. I guess everyone has a fear." 

Her eyes gleamed. "Speaking of phobias.. does Jungkook have any?" 

"Yeah.." I pursed my lips. "He's certainly not scared of ghosts.. or heights.. or water, or the typical phobias. He's scared of microwaves and bugs." 

Her enthusiastic smile dropped. "Did I hear you right?" 

I laughed. "He said they may explode at any moment. So whenever there's one of those things around, he tries to use me as a shield. And he isn't afraid of beetles, that's an exception for the bug thing." 

She stayed quiet for a while, before face palming herself. "Ah! Suyung, I am so sorry he was first before you. How about you? What are you afraid of?" 

"I'm not afraid of anything." I grinned cheekily, earning a scoff from her. I clicked my tongue and turned my head to the side, where we could see a view of the huge lake. "I'm afraid of water. I don't know how to swim." 

Her eyes widened. "Really?" 

"Hmm." I nodded. "My sister's always been a swimmer. I hated being similar to her. Or anyone, in particular. So I got myself to do something else.. when me, our close neighbours and my family were down to the lake for a bond, I drowned." 

"I've always had bad memories with water." I sighed. 

She frowned. "Gah! And I was willing to teach you. Just be safe around water terrains, alright? I wouldn't want you plunging down the lake again." 

I laughed and playfully hit her shoulder, taking off my blazer and stuffing it inside my bag as we reached the ramen shop. "Well.. I guess it's work time for me. You better get comfy." 

A nice co-worker handed me an apron, which I gladly thanked her for. I proceeded to work, along with another co-worker, Manager Yuhan coming in to check us once in a while. When the people increased, he started helping too. 

I turned to the side and saw Jaehee on her phone. I was glad she was being patient. I then continued to work, until I was minutes away from the end of my shift. 

I was never clumsy, but when my mind wandered off to Jungkok and Hobi, I accidentally tripped on my own foot and dropped the tray I was holding. The water soaked my apron, and the customer asked me if I were okay. 

Jaehee immediately approached me and helped me up, while Yuhan came into the scene. I stood up and bowed down to the customer and Yuhan as well. "I'm sorry for my clumsiness. Let me clean up this mess." 

"Don't be sorry." Yuhan sighed, placing a comforting hand on top of my head, before turning to the customer. "We'll get your juice ready again. We're sorry." 

I bended down to pick up the broken glass, but Yuhan crouched down and stopped me from doing so. He pointed at the kitchen and flashed me a kind smile. "You wouldn't want the customer to wait too long, right? Let me clean this up myself." 

My mouth went agape at his politeness. I nodded and bowed down again, making my way to the kitchen, and starting to prepare the beverage again. 

He was nicer than I thought. A bit too nice for a manager. But it's not like I'm complaining. I started preparing the juice. When I was done, I strolled out to meet him, a kind smile on his face. 

"Your shift's almost done, Suyung. And this is the last order. You can go home." he insisted. I shook my head politely and made my way inside the maintenance room again, wherein I grabbed a wet cloth. 

I'm guessing Yuhan was probably a relative of the owner of the ramen shop. And he probably lived with them - as there was another door that was obviously a path to their home. I walked outside of the maintenance room and started wiping the tables clean. 

I turned to the side, smiling unconsciously once I found Jaehee fast asleep on the bench. I guess she didn't care much about what other people thought about her, huh? 

"You seem bothered today, Suyung." Yuhan said, as he was cleaning the nearby tables. "Spill it. You can talk to me about it. I'm known as the man of wise words." he motioned his hands as if there were a rainbow in front of him, making me giggle. 

My smile immediately dropped. I had no idea wether I could trust him, but he seemed trustworthy enough. So I told him about it. From the text messages, to Hobi getting beaten up, to the poisoning.. 

"You know, Suyung.." he sighed, halting from cleaning and turning his head to look at me. "I think you shouldn't ignore this. Reply to him. Make him know that you're not going to back down. If you need anyone to talk to, I'm always here for advice." and with that, he motioned me to hand him the towel. 

"Your shift is done for today. Go home safe." he flashed me a kind smile, then waved at me. I smiled back and waved as well. 

I guess there were more people on my side than I thought. 

______

A/N: A lot of things happened on this chapter. FINALLY. We get to meet another member! What do you think of Namjoon so far? Yup, he seems pretty cold and distant; bare with him. 

The conflict will build up soon. What do you think of everything so far?