- Seventeen

Harum Scarum

"Suyung.." my mother's soft voice rang in my ears. My eyes hurt. 

They fluttered open. Mom smiled and handed me some bread on a plate, but her smile was visibly forced. "You're almost late. I'm sorry if I woke you up at this time. Jungkook didn't come over to wake you up when you overslept." 

I pursed my lips and placed the plate on my bedside table, running my fingers through my hair. I hope I didn't look too tired. "He's busy. I'm going to get ready now." I stood up and turned my back on her. 

She sighed and nodded, exiting my room. 

Everything almost felt like a dream. Jungkook didn't come over.. I was late. Only me. I got ready and grabbed the bread on my bedside table, as I jogged my way to school. 

As I step foot in campus, the bell rang. I took a deep breath and hurried. Luckily, the teacher still wasn't there when I got inside the classroom. From the corner of my eye, I could see Jaehee sitting on her own. 

I bit my lip and placed my bag beside me, sitting on my seat as I greeted the teacher. 

It was recess, which means we only needed to eat inside the classroom. I took out some biscuits and a book for our next subject. I guess I had to pay attention to studying now, huh? 

As I bit on the biscuit, I started memorising phrases and words inside my mind for the test. I wanted to get my mind off them.. And studying was something I did to do it. 

"Hey." an unfamiliar voice said from beside me. I turned my head to see a classmate, I assume her name was Lisa, smiling at me. "You seem lonely today. You see, my best friend's absent for today. Is something the matter with you and Jaehee?" 

She smiled genuinely at me. She was a dancer, I knew that. And luckily, we already knew each other, so introduction was out of the way. I forced a smile. "Just an argument." 

She sighed and sulked on the seat. "It happens. Anyways, maybe we can hang out for the day, you know?" 

I shrugged and closed my book. "Sure." 

"You're actually studying?" she said, her chin resting on her palm. "You're like, what, top 2? You're so smart. Give me intelligence." she motioned her hand as if wanting me to give her something. 

I let out a soft laugh. "I'm only top 5. I have a long way to go." 

"Did you join the dance competition in Seoul two weeks ago?" I asked, looking up. 

She scoffed and blew some bangs out of her face. "I wish I did. I ran out of forms. I was so pumped up! But that's okay. I heard Jung Hoseok, the 2nd year, won first place, right?" 

I pursed my lips and nodded. "He did." 

"Your bracelet's adorable!" she grinned, her eyes landing on the clay bracelet around my wrist. Baekhyun still had the other one.. didn't he? "I think I've heard about it! It means you'll always love the person who's wearing the other one." 

I stayed quiet. 

"Ne, Suyung-ah, you're with someone, aren't you?" she wiggled her brows. I forced a smile and shook my head. 

"It's my first time hearing that tale." I lied. "I just found the bracelet really pretty. I didn't know it came in a pair." 

She shrugged. "Hmm. But that person must be really lucky if they end up with you." 

I sighed. 

Are they? 

The subjects passed by quickly, and soon enough, it was already lunch. Lisa waved at me, one of her hands gripping her bag strap. 

I smiled on how generous she was being and approached her. 

"Since I don't want to be lonely and so do you," she started, as we started walking to the cafeteria. "Let's sit together! What do you have for lunch today?" 

I mentally cursed at myself at the realisation. I guess I forgot to make myself some lunch, huh? Don't blame me.. I only had 10 minutes before school started when I woke up! 

"Oh, about that.." I trailed off. "I can't believe I forgot."

She sighed as she sat down on her seat, placing her bag beside her. I sat across from her and she started eating. She had chicken and some rice for lunch, and motioned some to me. 

"Suyung-ah, please eat. Do you want some?" she picked a piece of chicken from her lunchbox and gestured it to me. I smiled and shook my head. 

"No thanks, Lisa." I declined. Then I decided to just eat some of the biscuits I have left.

"Ne," she started. "Are you sure you're going to be okay with that? I can leave you some of my food if you want." 

I shook my head. "No, really, it's okay." 

She pursed her lips and nodded. "Alright then.." she paused. "Anyways, I heard the ballet group has a small performance in the theater after school. Do you want to come with me to watch? I don't have anyone to come with!" 

I knew Jaehee was part of the ballet club. But Lisa was with me all day, and I didn't want to reject her offer. And there was an urge in my heart that wanted to see Jaehee. 

"Hmm. I'm up for it." 

She smiled. 

"Thanks." 

"I expected more people to come." I muttered under my breath as we entered the mini theatre. We sat on the very back of the seats, Lisa sitting beside me. 

"It's sad how ballet doesn't get the amount of credit it needs. Or dancing, in general. At least here." she sighed, getting comfortable in her seat. 

My eyes scanned the theatre and stopped when I saw familiar faces walking down the stairs and sitting in the front row. Biting my lip, I took out my jacket from my bag and wore it. 

Lisa glanced at me worriedly, but didn't bother asking me why. The program started. 

The performance told a story. I hope I was in the front row as well, with the other three, supporting Jaehee all the way. But instead, here I was, in the back row, watching quietly as my other friends clapped.

"Then, there was a beautiful fairy.." the narrator told. As expected, Jaehee danced in the front, wrapped with a beautiful dress, as she danced elegantly. She twirled and jumped with grace. 

"Ah, that's your friend, right?" Lisa smiled. "She's a really good dancer." 

As Jaehee went on, and even though I was far from the stage, I could see her gaze scan the audience. I heard the others cheer for her, and then I felt her gaze on me. 

I almost stood up when she fell. 

"Jaehee." I said, as she landed on the floor. 

She cried out in pain, her foot landing the wrong way. Jungkook, Namjoon, and Hobi stood up from their chairs and made their way to the stage, the other ballerinas coming to assist her as well. 

As they took her backstage, I still felt her eyes on me. 

I bit my lip.. 

Was it because of me?

"Oh god." Lisa frowned. "I hope she'll be okay.. she seemed worried. Those ankle sprains don't heal right away.." she trailed off. "She seemed distracted too, I wonder what got her bothered.." 

I sighed and stood up. "I hope so too.." 

"Hey, you going home already?" she questioned. "Let me come with you." 

I gave her a reassuring smile and a wave. "No thanks. I believe there's still going to be another performance, right? I'll be going. Enjoy." 

She sighed, but waved back as well. "... Alright. Stay safe, and thank you for your time!" 

I smiled at her one last time, before walking outside of the theatre. The sun was already setting, and I still had work. I took off my jacket and my blazer, stuffing them inside my bag before exiting the school. 

My eyes trailed the campus, and I bit my lip when I found four familiar people sitting under the tree, Hobi treating Jaehee's foot. 

As I walked down the centred path, I felt their gaze burn. I bit my lip and gripped my bag strap's tighter. 

Even though I was a good distance from them, I still didn't feel too comfortable, as we were the only people outside at the moment. 

I stared at my shoes the whole way, as if it were the most interesting in the world. I heard one of them sigh, and my heart couldn't help but beat faster. 

As I exited campus with a heavy heart, I just wondered.. 

How long did I have to do this? 

I looked down on my bracelet, my mind wandering off to Baekhyun, as I tried to sustain my tears. 

"You.. traitor." 

--- 

A/N: Yeah.. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE TENSION? OR EVERYTHING IN GENERAL? WHAT ABOUT BAEKHYUN? OR SUYUNG? 

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK~