- Two

Harum Scarum

The day went by faster than I expected. 

I stuffed my things inside my bag and shouldered it, standing up from my seat and watching as the people crowded out of the classroom. 

I wasn't used to Jungkook not being in the same class as I was. Because really, elementary isn't as tight as highschool, and wow, thinking about it now, we were inseparable. 

Now, I don't know why I'm suddenly rethinking things right now: but my mind suddenly wandered off to that one time Jungkook was bullied by other kids when we were in kindergarden, and he didn't want to fight back so I had to be the one to defend him. 

And now.. despite the fact of me having to deal with his childishness, he's always so protective, and well, at least I know all of that kindergarden drama wasn't for nothing. 

I sighed and started making my way outside of the room, taking my time. I glanced to the side and almost jumped when I saw a girl my age waving at me shyly. I held back a scream, placing a hand on my chest and calming myself down. 

"Uh.. may I help you?" I breathed out, still not fully calming down. She was obviously in my class. At least, another thing I was good at was memorisation. So even if the 'introduce yourself' in class seemed unproductive, it was useful for me. 

She had long, brown hair like mine, except hers was longer and tied in a braid while mine was tied into a ponytail, some bangs resting on the side of my head.

"I-I'm sorry." She apologised quickly, standing up straight and clearing . "My family just moved to this town.. and I don't have much friends.. You seemed like the most approachable.. can you uhm, you know, show me around town?" 

I blinked a few times before finally taking in her words. I wasn't usually someone who had much trust in meeting new people, but I guess she seemed nice. Two friends in a day, how productive of me. 

I never had a lady friend before. Ever since I was a kid, Jungkook's presence was always enough for me. I guess some things need to change, huh? 

I smiled brightly and tapped her shoulder comfortingly. "Are you kidding me? Everyone here's nice. I'm probably the sassiest student in class." I joked, before lending out a hand. "I'm Rhee Suyung." 

She flashed me a small grin, shaking my hand. "If you're the sassiest, everyone else must be an angel. It's Liu Jaehee." 

We started walking side by side through the hallways. I furrowed my eyebrows and turned my head. "Liu? So you're half-chinese?" 

"Hmm." she nodded. "My last names Chinese, but my first name's Korean. Also.. if it's okay with you, can you show me around town this Saturday? If you know.. if you're fine with that." 

"I'll try." I shrugged. 

"Try?" she cocked an eyebrow, a teasing smile on her face. It was nice to know she was getting warm with me already. You know, not too awkward. 

Why 'try', you ask? Well, Jungkook can be a bit clingy. 

"I mean, if you're fine with a guy friend of mine coming along, then yeah." I laughed softly. "He's not too comfortable with meeting new people like me, I guess. So don't be too bitter if he seems distant and all." 

She waved a hand. "Oh, that's not the big deal. But.. guy friend?" she teased, turning slightly so she was walking backwards in front of me. 

I rolled my eyes, gripping both hands on my bag. "Get over it, Jaehee. I don't have a boyfriend. He's just a friend." 

"The friendzone is real." she made handmotions as she did so. "I won't know until I see it for myself! Anyways, the town's pretty small, where's your house?" 

"We'll get to that on Saturday." I said, stopping outside of the school, just right before the stairs. "Anyways, we meet here after lunch, alright? Same spot." 

"It's a deal." she winked, looking over her shoulder. "Oh, . I have to go. My father's waiting. See you tomorrow, Suyung-ah!" she gestured me a three-finger salute, while I just wave as I watch her clumsily make her way to the man waiting outside on a motorcycle. 

I sighed and smiled to myself. I guess she wasn't so bad. This day seems so.. odd, yet fun. I met Hobi and Jaehee. Can it get even better? 

Me and Jungkook talked about the increase of people moving in town. I actually thought I would hate it, but who knew it would turn out like this? I was actually enjoying it. 

I make my way to a certain tree and laid my back on the bark, crossing my arms and staring at the school's doors, waiting for either Hobi or Jungkook to get out. 

"Boo." 

Thinking it was that rabbit-lookalike, I turned around and tackled him to the ground, blushing mad once realising it was Hobi. 

"Yuna! That was violent!" he cried, his palm blocking my fist from punching him. 

I growled and got off of him, sitting on the grass. "Keep in mind; I hate being startled." I placed my bag on the ground and took out a bottle, drinking my water. 

"Noted." he nodded. "Me too. Anyways, where's Kookie?" 

I almost chocked on my water hearing what he just said. I coughed. What did he just say?! "K-Kookie? What the hell?" 

"What?" he smiled cheekily. "Come on, Yuna! You two have been friends for years! How could you not think Jungkook could have a nickname like Kookie? Jungkook. Kookie. Jungkookie." 

I bursted in laughter. "I guess I'll bring that nickname up when he gets annoying." 

"Really?" 

"Yeah. Or call him by his last name." I shrugged. 

"Oh. I'll keep that in mind." Hobi winked. 

"So.. how do you like it here so far?" I questioned. "And why did you move here?" 

"To be honest.. this is a really nice town!" he perked up. "The people are really nice and the air's fresh! Also, the food is good. There isn't a dance workshop, but I guess it's a sign I should start training myself." 

"Really? You like it better here than the city?" 

I always wanted to go to Seoul. Or any city, I guess. I never got out of my town, but it's not like I hated it. I've always been a province girl, and in the future, I strive to get myself out there. You know? At least make a name for myself. I want to be a musician. 

He shrugged and nodded, his iconic smile still plastered on his face. Like.. how can he keep smiling that long? If I did that, my cheeks would hurt. 

"Have you ever been to Seoul?" he questioned. I shook my head. Wow, speaking of that topic. "Well, most people would want to live there. I guess it's okay. It's just.. dangerous sometimes!"

"The main reason we moved here was because of my mother's job. My sister is in Seoul working on her own, helping our family with our profits. I try to help by spending the least money I could." 

"How about you try joining dancing contests?" I suggested. "You look like you can do much. And besides, you beat.. Jungkook? That takes a lot of skill!" 

He stood up, suddenly determined, his smile growing even wider. "I never thought of that. I mean, I always thought of dancing as a hobby." 

I stood up and placed a hand on my hip. "It's more than just a hobby when it comes to you. It's talent." 

"But.. don't we have to travel a bit far to join contests? Like.. get out of town or something?" he asked. 

"Well, I can manage some things if you really want to.." I trailed off, my mind suddenly wandering off to a certain someone. "You know what? Let's talk about it tomorrow, I have an idea." 

"What took you so long?" I snorted, as Jungkook started approaching us. 

"I was looking out for some clubs." he replied. "I'm joining dancing. Auditioning starts next week." he shrugged. 

"Woah! That was worth the wait!" Hobi stood up, then lends out a hand for me to take. I took it, and he quickly pulled me up. "Ah! Jungkook, how about we audition together?" 

Jungkook stayed quiet for a while, as we continued to walk out of campus side by side, me in the middle. Well, I guess he was still bitter about Hobi winning. He's not really used to losing. 

"I'll.. think about it." he replied, his voice low and quiet, which was so not like him. But then again, it's been years since we had another friend other than each other. 

"Alright." Hobi smiled, then pocketed his hands as we continued walking. "How about you, Yuna? What club do you plan on joining?" 

"Well, I don't really think I'll find time to join clubs." I sighed, looking up at him. "I have to find a job soon. So instead of joining clubs, I have to work." 

"Really? Yuna! I want to help you find a job." his voice lowered, meaning he actually really wanted to. 

I turned to him, smiling unconsciously while Jungkook stayed quiet. "Well, since you're already walking with us, then sure! We're heading towards my house!" 

"Yay! I think I should start marking directions so I wouldn't get lost later." he looked over his shoulder. 

I shook my head. "No need. You can just ask people for directions. The town's small, but everyone's pretty much awake even on late hours. Speaking of the town waking up." we watched as the stores started turning on their lights, and opening their doors, welcoming customers. 

We started walking the steep road, where some familiar faces waved at me and Jungkook. "How was first day of school, Suyung, Jungkook?" Wendy asked, as she placed a box in front of a doorstep and knocked on the door. 

"Same." me and Jungkook said in union. 

She laughed, taking off her helmet. "Nothing's changed, huh? That's the same reply I've been getting ever since you two were what, 6?" 

I chuckled and fastened my pace. "7, Wendy! We were 7 when we first met you!" 

"This is a very friendly town." Hobi smiled as the three of us fastened our paces. 

"Yeah, so don't hold any niceness back." I patted his shoulder and jogged towards the ever-so-familiar shop that came into view. 

"You own a flower shop, Yuna?" Hobi smiled widely. 

"Yup." Jungkook replied with a smile. "Be right back." 

I rolled my eyes at Jungkook's exit, then lightly tugged on Hobi's sleeve. "More like, I live in a flower shop." I pushed the door open to the shop, my parents' shocked gazes landing on me and Hobi. 

"Have you.. gotten yourself a boyfriend.. Suyung?" Mom exclaimed, panicking. "Where's Jungkook? It's first day of school! I've never seen him around before!" 

"Calm down, mom, dad." I chuckled as I offered Hobi a seat. "His family just moved here. He's a friend. Treat him basically how you treat Jungkook." I waved a hand. 

"Woah! You're so adorable!" Mom cooed, making her way over to Hobi, Dad hot on her tail. I rolled my eyes playfully and quickly made my way to my room, swiftly changing into casual clothes. 

As soon as I was outside, Hobi and my parents were talking as if they knew each other for ages. They were laughing, and turns out, Jungkook was there too. Every now and then, he tried to fight a smile. 

"Ahjummah, you're so pretty like my mom! I think you two'll get along!" Hobi continued throwing compliments at my parents. 

"Having fun?" I chuckled, tying my hair into a bun as I made my way over to them. 

"Yuna! You never told me you had such awesome parents!" Hobi smiled widely, standing up as he did so. "Ahjumma, Ahjussi, thank you for the snacks!" 

"Yeah, it's time to go to work again." I clapped my hands. 

"Yuna," Jungkook stood up and handed me a newspaper. "You're lucky I have good memory. Time to search for a job. Come on!" he grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the door to our living room. 

"Uh?" Hobi stood inside the flower shop, confused. 

I groaned and let go of Jungkook's hand. "Hobi! Hurry up, come on!" 

Jungkook rolled his eyes, then made his way to our small living room and sitting on one of the chairs, while I guided Hobi under the small door. 

"Sorry if my house seems cramped." I apologised, closing the door behind me. "We don't have much space." I sat across from Jungkook and placed the newspaper in front of me, a pen in hand. Hobi sat next to me. 

"Nah, it's fine. It's actually really fun here!" he beamed. "Anyways, want job are you thinking about?" 

"A waiter? A cashier? I would take most things. We're having trouble with keeping our property. Flowers aren't as valuable anymore." I sighed. 

"There's a new cafe by the entrance of the town." Hobi shrugged, his finger trailing to the words on the newspaper, then stopped. "It's not here.. when I got here last month, it was there. A few blocks from the welcome sign." 

"A cafe?" Jungkook cocked an eyebrow. "That sounds suspicious. I've never heard anyone mention a cafe." 

That sounded odd, too. Cafes were like, something inexistent in this town. All we had were coffee vending machines. 

"Or was it a ramen house that sells coffee too..."

"Probably that." I replied. The last shop I worked for was a restaurant, so I think I wouldn't have much of a problem. 

"Well then, I'll get to that tomorrow." I sighed, standing up from my chair and turning my head towards Hobi. "It's getting late. Won't your mom get angry at you?" 

He shook his head and shouldered his bag. "Nah. I think she's getting used to me getting home late by now. And she has to, cause I'll be hanging out with you guys from now on. Today was fun!" 

I laughed softly and nodded, me and Jungkook guiding him outside of the flower shop and watching him until his figure disappeared. 

I sighed and turned to Jungkook, lightly bonking him on the head. "Oi. What's with you being so bitter?" 

"He beat me in a dancing battle, Yuna." he muttered. 

"I know that. Man up." I flicked his forehead. "Stop being jealous." 

"I'm not jealous." he shot back. "Anyways, what's with you being so wary these past few days?" 

"Am I?" I paused. "I made another friend earlier. Her name's Jaehee. I want to show her around town on Saturday." 

"A girl?" he stopped for a while, then clapped his hands and cheered. "Wah! Yuna's finally being a lady!" 

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up. And also.. do me a favour?" 

He stopped laughing and glanced at me like I was sick. "Woah, am I hearing this right?" 

"Well, it's not really for me.." I trailed off. "Just, cooperate. You know that older cousin you hate....." 

His eyes widened.  "M-Minho-hyung?" 

I snapped my fingers. "Yeah, Minho." 

"What about him?" he narrowed his eyes. 

"Can you get him to visit school tomorrow?" 

__________

A/N: Whoops, who's Minho? But more importantly, what plan does Suyung have in mind? 

What do you think of Hobi and Suyung's friendship? How long will Jungkook warm up to our precious Hobi? 

What do you think of Jaehee so far? How about the sketchy ramen shop?