- Sixteen

Harum Scarum

My phone buzzed.

My eyes shot open. 

I turned to the side and furrowed my eyebrows once realising it was still night outside. Who would text me so late? Or maybe it was 4AM. Still, why would anyone even text me that early as well? 

I grabbed my phone and rubbed the sleepiness out of my eyes. 

From: Baekhyun 

Topic: I'm sorry for waking you up 

Suyung, meet me by the river. I know it's too early, just please. I need to tell you something.

I hesitated for a while. Did it really have to be by the river? Did I have to do it now? But I didn't want to keep him waiting. I grabbed a jacket and changed into some leggings, and slipping my feet into the slippers Hobi gave me. 

I ran my fingers through my hair and pocketed my phone, before making my way to school. I fastened my pace. Luckily, we didn't have school tomorrow. 

I saw Baekhyun's figure as I stood atop of the stairs. I smiled and gave him a wave, but he didn't reply. I made my way over to him and looked up. 

"What's the matter?" I asked him. 

He seemed to be crying, but not too hard. I could still tell. His gaze was soft and so sincere. I couldn't help but place a hand on his shoulder. He lowered his gaze. 

"Suyung, you need to know something." he said, placing a hand on top of mine and lightly pulling it away. He looked up and stared into my eyes. "I'm PY."

My smile dropped. 

I shook my head and forced another one. "B-Baekhyun, are you trying to be funny? This early in the morning? You know my sense of humour is-" 

"I'm not lying." he said, his his voice becoming more firm. 

Was it true? 

His voice said it all. I believed it. But the way he looked at me.. with so much pity and sincerity.. I didn't even know anymore. I lowered my gaze and bit my lip. 

"So.. you were the one that poisoned me?" I said lowly, clenching my fists. 

Why did it have to be so hard? 

He nodded. "I did it all." 

"You stalked me and my friends.." I looked up and growled. "Traitor." 

Right as I said that, he narrowed his eyes and sighed. "I never had interest in you. Suyung." 

My eyes slowly widened and I backed away. 

He ran his fingers through his hair, as his now cold eyes met mine. "Follow my orders, or I will hurt your friends. Spill this information to them, and I'll let my men do the work for me." 

"Baekhyun." I said slowly, blinking to try and sustain my tears. "Why would you..?" 

He looked away for a while, then stared at me again, ignoring my question. "Break your friends' hearts. Make them feel like you don't need them anymore. Ditch them. Hurt them with your words." 

My mouth went agape. "Baekhyun-" 

"Or else I'll hurt them." he cut me off and put on his cap. "Start as soon as they approach you. Don't stop until they've had enough. Expect to meet new friends by school day. " 

He his heel, and I bit my lip so hard I tasted blood. "What's the use of this? Why do you want me so broken? Did I not change you at all?" 

He looked over his shoulder and scoffed, pocketing his hands. "None of it was true." and with that, he disappeared in the shadows. 

As soon as his figure disappeared, I felt tears sting my eyes. What would he get from breaking me? From breaking my friends? 

I furiously wiped the remaining tears on my cheeks and my heel. I couldn't let them get hurt. I would never. It's either I do it or they get hurt by merciless hands. 

I needed to play his games. 

I couldn't sleep. 

How long was I crying?

I felt so weak. 

All I did was stare at the ceiling until the sun rose. Until I didn't have tears to release anymore. Until I heard Hobi's voice from outside. 

"Good morning Ahjumma, Ahjussi!" he said brightly. I would usually smile being aware of his presence. But now.. I felt nothing. I felt so.. broken. 

Did I deserve this? 

From the corner of my eye, I see him enter my room with a box in his hands. He looked really happy. I wish I could sympathise with it. 

"Yuna!" he beamed, walking over to me. He tried to hug me, but I sat up and stood up so I could face him. He ignored my action and handed me the box. "Thank you so much for everything! I have a gift for you!" 

I looked up, then looked away. "I don't want it." 

"Eh?" he blinked a few times. "But why? You don't even know what it is yet! Come on! I'm sure you'll love it!" 

"I said I don't want it!" I raised my voice, looking up at him with cold eyes. His smile dropped at my outburst. "Keep it to yourself, Hoseok. I don't want anything to do with you. Leave." 

His brows furrowed as he tries to place a hand on my shoulder. I slapped his hand away without staring into his eyes. "Leave." 

"Are you alright?" he asked softly. "Did... did I do something wrong?" 

I bit my lip and looked him in the eyes. "I'm saying I don't want to be friends with you anymore. This is my business. Deal with yours." I growled, placing my hand on his chest and lightly pushing him away. 

He pursed his lips. "If.. that's what you want." 

He his heel. He placed the box on a chair nearby and left the room without any more words. My heart broke as I hid my face in my hands. I sat on the edge of my bed. 

I had no choice.. did I? 

Did Baekhyun.. 

Really hate me that much? 

I wanted him to help me.. I just wanted them safe..

"Suyung?" another familiar voice greeted, knocking on the door. Jaehee came inside with a frown. "Are you still up for our hangout? Hoseok told me you don't want to be friends with him anymore." 

I didn't reply.  I felt her sit beside me. She chuckled softly. "Ha. You're really good at acting, aren't you? You got him good. He seemed really.. sad about it." 

"Jungkook said-" 

I turned to her. "There you go again." I started. "It's always about him, isn't it? Tell me, aren't you getting tired of talking about the bastard? Do I look like I'm interested?" 

Her eyes widened a bit, and she laughed it off. "Ah.. alright, I'm sorry.. man, you scared me, Suyung! Stop acting for now, it's so scary." 

"I'm not acting, Jaehee." I gritted my teeth. "This is pure honesty. I'm sick of you and your persona. You actually expected you and me are going to be friends when I keep dealing with your whiny attitude?" 

"I'm so-" 

"Don't tell me you're sorry!" I said, standing up. "You're a waste of my time! I have so many more important things to do than slack off with you and the others. I guess I lacked words on Hoseok." 

"Hoseok?" she said, standing up as well. "Suyung-" 

"Tell the others to stay away from me! Namjoon.. Hoseok.." I paused, and I felt her stare on me. 

"And Jungkook." she finished for me, nodding. She had an expression on her face I've never seen before. She was.. mad. She waved a hand. "Alright. I'll make sure they do. Enjoy your loneliness." 

She placed a hand on the doorknob and lowered her head. "I really thought we were always going to be friends." and with that, she stepped out of my room and closed the door. 

I felt so lonely. 

I didn't enjoy this. 

Jaehee.. was mad at me. 

I flopped down on my bed and wiped the tears that threatened to fall. Are these the things I really had to do to protect them? 

"Baekhyun.." the name slipped out of my mouth so fluently. My mind wandered of to when he kissed my cheek.. to when he held my hand.. I blinked. It was impossible those weren't sincere. 

The way he looked at me earlier.. 

It seemed so.. 

Painful. 

And when I thought I was finally done of crying, I heard a knock on my door. I wouldn't be surprised if it was parents. They probably wondered why my friends left the flower shop, all upset and crying. 

But turns out.. 

It was the least person I wanted to see. 

Jungkook was quiet as he sat on the edge of my bed, not even meeting my eyes. I had my legs crossed and my gaze lowered. 

Please see through my lies.. 

"Is it true?" he said slowly. I felt his cold stare burn. We never had a fight before, did we? Unless you included all those petty arguments we always did. I didn't reply. 

"Yuna, answer me." he said, more firmly as his gaze followed me. "Is it true that you don't want to be friends with them anymore? With Hoseok.. with Jaehee.. with Namjoon?" 

I forced a scoff. "And I thought the arguments between those people would stay between us. I can't believe you already knew before I processed it." 

"You're not getting to the point." he shot back. I wasn't used to him being so direct. Usually, he would be quiet and keep things to himself whenever he was mad.. but.. "What is this? Did Baekhyun dump you? Tell me Yuna, why are you doing this?"

I guess this is how he deals with people that go against his friends. 

I didn't reply. If PY stalked me, he probably knew about me talking to Jungkook right now. He would know wether I exposed himself to others. I couldn't tell them the truth. I was alone in this fight. 

"Why do you think?" I growled. "I don't need any of you anymore. I can handle everything myself. Don't even mention Baekhyun." 

He furrowed his eyebrows. 

"I'm getting overwhelmed about everything. I feel like a child. I can handle everything by myself! And I don't have time to hang out. I want to pursue my dreams. Alone. I want to do everything on my own.. so that I would know for sure it was hardwork." 

"We've been friends for a while, Jungkook. But I don't want to be friends anymore." 

He stared at me for a while. "So.. after everything we've been through.. after all these years.. you call me a friend? You don't want me to help you, like you did with me? You think you're alone?" 

"This isn't even worth questioning." I said. "Get out, Jungkook." 

"Yuna-" 

"Don't call me Yuna." I spat. 

He stood up, and I felt his gaze on me again. And from the corner of my eye, I see him furiously wiping some tears.

"Fine." he said, placing his hand on the doorknob. "I hope you catch your dreams, Suyung." and with that, he left. 

I broke down.

I didn't want to do this anymore.. 

- unknown number - 

You've never failed to amuse me, love. Don't cry. I'm here. We can always be together. 

Forever.

PY. 

My grip tightened around my phone, and I place it on my bedside table. 

My heart ached. 

At this case.. if even Jungkook didn't manage to see through my lies..  

Then who will? 

--- 

A/N: GAH IM FINALLY DONE WITH THIS CHAPTER. 

THE BETRAYAL. THE FEELS. THE DRAMA!! 

What do you look forward to next chapter?? 

Did you expect that? What do you feel about Baekhyun now? GIVE ME FEEDBACK LOVES!