Sandara Park

She's Not Ugly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’m trying to smile brightly but
I don’t like it
I’m not pretty, I’m not beautiful
 

 


She put the mattress neatly on the bed and made her way to the bathroom to start her day. Her wish that day was also as same as another day, she was hoping for something good to happen. She usually had bad luck. Everyone said that it was a curse. Well, ugly things happened to ugly people.


After wearing her uniform, she stared at her appearance in the mirror. Her eyes darted to her left cheek, where there was printed a birthmark. It was red and purple and it looked like a stain on a white cloth. It looked dirty and ugly.


People hated her because she was ugly in their eyes. People despised her because they thought that she brought bad luck everywhere she went. But to Dara, who believes something like that? It's the 21st century for heaven's sake, a modern era. Couldn't believe everyone around her was still old-school kind of people.


Although she knew that she was ugly, she never hated herself. She never blamed the birthmark on her cheek. She never pointed a finger at her parents. Because whatever it was, the birthmark was the proof that she was born into this world as a human. She was given a chance to live, and it was better than anything she could wish for.


Dara tied her hair into a ponytail and reached for the mask. But then she hesitated. Should she wear it? All students in the school always knew that she was ugly. Every time she wore the mask, it always ended up being torn. And wearing the mask just to cover the birthmark for hours was suffocating. It was more than enough that she wore it when she was working on her part-time job to get the customers' orders. She put back the mask and walked out of her room after getting her bag pack.


Dara walked into their small kitchen to prepare breakfast for herself. She used to leave with her parents. But after the accident that took her father's life a few years ago, she leave with her mother, Park Minchan.


Her mother rarely came home because she was too busy w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter