33.

From Your Style to Your Smile.

I was in class when Junhyung came in. "You busy later? Want to hang out? We could get some seafood!" He said to me. "I'd love to!! I've been craving seafood bad lately!" I smiled up at him. "Okay, afterschool then?" He asked. "Yeah!" I said excited. I kept thinking about seafood until school ended. I went outside and crap...I forgot. I forgot that I had already made plans with Seunghyun, seeing him standing across the street made me remember. Damn it, what am I going to tell Junhyung? Seunghyun waves to me and I wave back. I hear Junhyung calling my name and I turn around to see him. "Who are you waving...to?" Junhyung asked now seeing who it was. 

"...Sorry Junhyung...I sort of already had plans with Seunghyun! I didn't mean to double book it was an accident, I just forgot I had plans with him. I'm sorry..." I said to him. He said nothing until, "I thought you two broke up?" He asked. "...we did, we're just...I'll make it up to you! I promise!" I pleaded. "Well I guess, you owe me big then." Junhyung said. "Yeah, really big! I'm sorry, have a good day. Bye." I said walking away. I could see the disappointment on his face but there was really nothing I could do, if I had made plans with him first I would have gone with him but I made plans with Seunghyun first so I couldn't cancel on Seunghyun. I looked back at Junhyung and it was clear he was disappointed. I waved to him again feeling sorry and he waved back.

I keep walking towards Seunghyun. "What were you guys talking about?" He asked. "I had sort of double booked." I replied. He had on a straight face. "I sort of forgot we had plans and so I made plans with Junhyung." I said. "Oh." Was all Seunghyun replied. "But since I made plans with you first, I had to tell him I was sorry." I said to him and at those words, a smile formed upon his lips. "Well let's go then." Seunghyun said getting into his car. Did he smile because he felt happy I had canceled on Junhyung? And not him? Seunghyun would be the type to get angry at things like this, if I had canceled on him instead I'm sure he'd been angry and sulky. I got into the car and we went out for some pasta. While at dinner with Seunghyun I told him about an event our school was hosting. "It's a semi-formal event in which the student council has planned in hopes to raise money. It's the first time they're doing it and it's open to everyone and anyone." I told him and it seemed like he was listening. "...Is this an invitation to go?" Seunghyun asked. "Ah, no." I said thinking back on what I said that would make it sound like it was an invitation. "We'll see what happens." Seunghyun just continues to eat. "It's this Friday and well I'm excited!" I didn't really care if he went or not, it sounded fun and I was going so yeah! I mean an event to dress up, sounds like fun plus the school was doing it so it seemed much more fun because the only time I ever dressed up was when I went out with Seunghyun and the others. Plus the others wanted to go, this was one of the reasons why we decided to come to Seoul to graduate, it was to do things like this! After my dinner with Seunghyun I met with the others to do a little shopping for this event.

"I am so excited!!!!" Lizzy said outloud. "Me too, I haven't had a time in which I could dress up like this." Jieun smiled. "Sounds fun." Eli said. "By the way Haeri, you made it into the auction." Jieun said. "What?! What auction?!" I said not knowing what she was saying. "The auction for this Friday?" Jieun said looking just as confused as I was. There was a second of silence when I saw movement coming from my left. "Lizzy! What did you do?!" I asked her who was obviously hiding something. "...I signed us up for the auction." Lizzy said to me. "You did what?!" I asked shocked. "Well I mean, I didn't want to do it alone, plus it sounds fun!" Lizzy said. "You are going to die!" I said reaching my hands out towards her. "Sorry I didn't ask first but come on! I mean you're the most popular girl at our school, you're going to bring in big dollars!! Just think of it as helping the school." Lizzy explained. "You are probably the girl who is going to bring in the highest bid." Kai said. "Like Lizzy said, think of it as helping the school and the money will be donated to charity." Seungho said. Are they serious?! Auction?! Me?! "What if some ert wins me?!" I asked thinking about a dozen scenarios. "...Well you're already in so you might as well just do it. It's only for a night anyways Haeri." Jieun tried to comfort me.  "That doesn't help. Great you guys have basically just sold me off to some ert." I said knowing that this event was open to the public and the auction was what the student council was hoping would bring in the most people.

I wasn't working so I was just hanging around at YG. "Oppa come buy me!!" I said to Yanggaeng knowing Friday was coming soon.  "What are you talking about?" Yanggaeng asked just as Seunghyun and Teddy oppa walked in. "Just do it!" I said to Yanggaeng again. "Maybe if I knew what you are talking about." Yanggaeng asked. "What are you guys talking about?" Teddy asked. "I don't know, Haeri just told me to buy her." Yanggaeng said. I laid my head down on my arms. "Just bring all of your money and come this Friday!" I said. "Friday for what? Haeri what are you talking about? We'd help if we knew what you were talking about." Yanggaeng said. Tao walked in and, "Is she trying to get you to come buy her? Don't! Let some old ert come buy her!" Tao said. As soon as I heard him I shot my head up at him and gave him a look. "What are you guys talking about?" Seunghyun asked. "So Haeri's a part of the auction at our school's event this Friday. She's scared some old ert is going to bid for her and then win." Tao laughed. "It's not funny!" I said to Tao. "Auction?" Teddy asked. "Yeah, our school 's trying to raise money through this auction for the school and to donate to charity. So basically, the highest bidder gets a 'date'."  Tao said. "Ohhh." They all said now understanding the situation. "Why did you sign up?" Seunghyun asked. "Lizzy signed me up and I happened to make it!" I said. "Can't you back out?" Seunghyun asked. "...Well I already made it and everyone won't let me get out because they say I'm probably going to be the one who brings in the highest bid." I told them. "It's true. Haeri is one of the most if not the most popular girl at our school and so I too am expecting a very high bid on her." Tao said. "And this is open to the public?" Teddy asked. "Yeah!" I said. "Sure is, that's why Haeri's scared some old ert/killer/kidnapper is going to bid for her." Tao said to them. I gave him another look, I had first just been worried about erts but now, "Killers and kidnappers?!?!" I said outloud thinking of scenarios. "Tao, stop messing with her." Yanggaeng said. "Come buy me!!!" I said to all of them. "You better make sure some ert isn't going to win me!" I said to Tao who just smirked. "You're going to make us pay for a date with you?" Yanggaeng asked. "Of course I'd go on a date with you if you just asked but think of it as helping our school!" I said to him. "I'll come make a bid." Teddy smiled elbowing Seunghyun. I don't know if he was joking or not but, "Okay!" I said. "When is this auction thing?" Seunghyun asked. "This Friday. Starts at 6pm, it's a semi-formal event, the auction doesn't start until 7pm though. I'm the last one to be auctioned off." I explained. "And what exactly is this date?" Teddy asked as if he were really going to come bid for me. "It's a late night dinner at some fancy restaurant." I said. "That's it?!" Teddy asked. "Yeah...oppa we are still just high school students." I said to him. "Oh yeah." Teddy laughed. "Well I'll be there." Teddy said. "You promise?!" I asked happy he was going to come. "I promise." He smiled. "I'll bring my entire life's savings." He smiled. I laughed, "Thank you oppa!!!" I smiled. "Are you two coming too?!" I asked Yanggaeng and Seunghyun. "I might have plans but if not, I'll drop by." Yanggaeng said. "Thank you oppa!" I said to him. "Seunghyun are you going to come?" I asked him. "Do I have a choice?" He asked.

It was finally Friday and so Jieun, Lizzy, Seungho, Eli and Kai all met up at my place, because I lived closer to school to get ready together and then go. "I'm so excited! I can finally wear this dress now!" Lizzy said spinning around with her dress still on the hanger. Jieun and Seungho left first because since Jieun was part of the student council board she had to go earlier and help set up and whatever else they need done. "You guys want to go out and get something to eat? Just a quick snack or something?" Eli asked. "Yeah, I could use some food." Kai said. "Well we have dates tonight so we can't we that much but I could go for a snack." Lizzy said. "Yeah, let's go." I said finishing up. We all went out glammed up and it was fun. We went and got s few snacks in our dresses, our suits, it was just fun. It was around 6:15 when we got to school and the school was gorgeous!!! I heard the school got some help that offered to help set up and whatever, anyways it was pretty. There were tons of students in beautiful dresses, in nice suits and it was a nice sight to see. I also saw people I 'd never seen before. The four of us walked around, said our hellos, and just had fun. It was 6:45-ish when I spot them in the corner of my eyes. "You guys go ahead." I said to the others as I made my way towards everyone. "You guys came!!" I said seeing Teddy, Seunghyun, Jiyong, and Chaerin. "Sure did, to support you! Plus I've been meaning to come back and visit, this gave me the perfect opportunity." Chaerin smiled. "Unnie, you look gorgeous!" I said seeing her in her dress. "And you look...like you're going to bring in a million dollars." She smiled back at me. I grew more nervous with her words. It was a fun idea and I did want to do it but I was still scared thinking about who would win me. "Oppa, you didn't forget our promise right?" I asked Teddy. "...I didn't forget, but someone won't let me bid on you." He said. "What? Who?!" I asked since Teddy was the one I was counting on. "You know who." He said. I do? ...Oh, I guess. I looked at Seunghyun who had his head turned elsewhere. "We're going to go check things out!" Jiyong and Chaerin said walking away. "Guess I'll check it out too." Teddy said leaving Seunghyun and I alone.

"You look handsome." I said to him seeing how he was dressed up. "And you are beautiful." He said to me. "...Why won't you let Teddy bid for me? Do you want some strange man to win me too?" I asked wanting to know his reason although I had a feeling of what it was. "Don't worry, I won't let you leave with some stranger." He said. I knew what he was getting at and I didn't know what to say. "Well I have to get going now, so enjoy it." I said walking away to the stage where we were all being auctioned off. Everyone one by one was getting sold off and it was getting closer and closer to me. Lizzy had sold for $3,000! Wow it was amazing! Someone was actually going to pay $3,000 just to go on a date with Lizzy. This person definitely has money to throw away, not saying I wasn't happy by the money the school was getting. Hara was also being auctioned off and she happened to be the person before me. It was her turn and the bids kept going up and up...soon enough she was sold...for $8,000!!!!! Unbelievable!!!! I mean, Hara was beautiful tonight though, everything about her was just glowing. But $8,000?!?! There must be rich people in the crowd if someone was auctioned off for that amount of money. That or they had really kind hearts. Hara stepped back to her spot next to me and whispered, "Beat that." I looked at her appalled. When did this become a competition?! Anyways I stepped forward, was introduced and then the bidding began. I heard different voices bid and was currently at $5000 when I heard Seunghyun's voice, "$8,000". OMG!!!! Seunghyun was willing to pay $8,000?!?!?! I thought it was going to end there when, "$12,000". I looked to see who said it and then saw Teddy waving his hand in the air. Teddy?! I was a little taken aback since he said Seunghyun, implied, Seunghyun had told him not to bid and yet he still did. "$14,000" I heard Seunghyun's voice. $14,000?!?!? OMG that's a lot of money. "$18,000" Teddy continued. I nearly fell to the floor, what are these guys doing?! Why do they keep bidding! As long as it's one of them, it'll be fine! "$20,000" Seunghyun said. No more bids, "Sold for $20,000!!!!" Jieun said over the microphone. Everyone cheered and clapped. Lizzy and a few of the other girls on stage came over and congratulated me and said how amazed they were and who were bidding and whatnot. We got off the stage and I couldn't get over the fact that I had just been sold for $20,000. And sold to Seunghyun. I didn't know I would get sold for this much money and I didn't know he was willing to pay that much. I spot them and so run towards them. "Are you two crazy?!?!" I asked Teddy and Seunghyun. "$20,000?!? Do you even have that much money?! Are you crazy?! I would've gone on a date with you for free, I have before, you seriously didn't have to bid that much!" I said to Seunghyun. "And I thought you weren't bidding?!?!" I asked Teddy. "I wasn't going too but I wanted to see how much Seunghyun was willing to pay, I would've gone further but it's okay." Teddy said. "Well at least you didn't go to some ert right?" Jiyong asked. "I guess, but still, $20,000 is a huge amount." I said. "The school could use the money." Was all Seunghyun said. 

Seunghyun and I walked over to check in with Jieun so that he could pay and then we could go out on our date. As soon as we get there, "Oh?" Jieun said surprised. "Sunbae." She slightly bowed. "Top sunbae?" Lizzy said as soon as she saw him. "Remember me? We met the other time?" She asked. "Of course. Seungri brought you all over." Seunghyun said. "Yeah! You do remember." Lizzy smiled. "So you're the one who is paying a whopping $20,000 for a date with Haeri?" Eli asked. "I guess so." Seunghyun said taking something out of his coat pocket. "Wow." Jieun said as he handed her a check for $20,000. "Thank you so much. Haeri will show you a fantastic time won't you Haeri?!" Jieun said taking the check. "Sure am." I smiled realizing they hadn't known about Seunghyun and I. I was standing next to them as they were finishing up the details when I spot Kris. 

 Kris was crying. I found myself walking over to him. "Kris what's wrong? Why are you crying?" I asked him. He turned to me, wiped his tears and tried to calm himself. "What's wrong?" I asked placing a hand on his shoulder. "My mom is in the hospital and it seems she's taken a turn for the worse." He said holding tightly onto his phone. I pulled him into a hug, he cried on my shoulder and I felt so sad for him. Kris and his mom had a very tight bond and I didn't know she was in the hospital but it must have been, is hard for him. "It's okay. She'll be okay." I said to him, he hugged me tightly and was calming down. "Are you going to the hospital?" I asked as he backed away. "I don't know if I can." He said. "She needs you, you have to go." I said urging him to go. "Come with me." He said with those sad eyes of his. "Of course." I found myself saying. I couldn't have said no, not when he was going through something so big, something like this. This meant a lot to him, it would mean a lot to anyone and he was having a hard time. "Haeri." I heard his voice say from behind me.

I turned and saw Seunghyun. I walked over to him after telling Kris to wait a moment. "...Seunghyun... sorry I'm going to have to cancel our date." I said to him. He looked at me a little angry. "So you're going to tell me I just paid $20,000 for a date I'm not going to get? That you're leaving me to go to him?" He asked. "Seunghyun, I'm really sorry. I'll go get your money back. Kris just really needs me right now." I said to him. "Whatever, I see where I stand with you." He said walking away. "I'll get you your money back." I said to him. "No need, I don't want it back." He said walking away and not looking back. I understand why he is angry, he paid $20,000 for me, also because I know he cared, he didn't want some crazy person to win me. I felt really bad but Kris needed me now and I wanted to be there with him and for him.

We got to the hospital where Kris's family was waiting, his mom had gone in for an emergency surgery and they were all waiting for the results. It was really nerve wrecking and sadness filled the hallway. Everyone was silent, with teary, red eyes. I was sitting next to Kris on the ground holding his hand. We were not together any longer but that doesn't change the fact that I still cared about him and wanted nothing but the best for him. I loved him and I always will. I was sitting on the ground with Kris's younger sister sleeping on my laps when, an hour passed and the doctors came out. Everyone got up waiting for the news. "She's in stable condition right now." He said walking away. A sigh of relief swept over the hallway. They all hugged and I looked up at them happy. They went in and looked at their wife, mom. Kris looked at me before I nodded for him to go inside and look at his mom. I stayed in the hallway with his younger sister still sleeping. After a few minutes they all came out. "I'm going to take the little ones home." Kris's dad said walking towards me. "Thank you Haeri." He said picking his daughter up. "No problem." I smiled getting up. I stayed awhile longer with Kris in the waiting room. "I'm going to get going Kris." I said to him. "Thank you Haeri, really." He said pulling me into a hug. "No problem Kris. I'm just glad things are okay. Call me if you need anything." I said and then added, "Get some sleep." I placed my hand on his cheek and then left. I had been in the hospital for almost 3 hours, it was around 11pm now.

I was on my way home when suddenly that pissed off face of Seunghyun crossed my mind. I decided I'd stop by his place, I still felt bad. I knocked on his door and no answer. Was he out or something? I tried the door but of course it was locked. Right when I turned around, "What are you doing here?" He asked standing in front of me. He stumbled to the door and he reeked of alcohol. "Have you been drinking?" I asked. "What's it to you?" He asked trying to find his keys in his pockets. He was a total mess. "You should go home, better yet to that man." He said still searching his pockets. "Here." I said holding him still going to help him get his keys. "Don't touch me." He said coldly pushing me causing me to fall down. "What's wrong with you?!" I asked getting up from the ground. "...Sorry." he said finding the keys and opening his door. I walked in and everything was a mess, glass was all over the floor, everything was knocked over, out of place, it seemed like someone had just robbed the place. "What happened here?!" I asked. "Nothing." He said setting the bag of beer that he obviously just bought on the counter and taking a bottle out to drink. "Did you do this?" I asked looking around as he took a seat on a chair. He said nothing. "Seunghyun, did you do all of this?" I asked again. Silence again. I looked at him and he just drank his beer. "Have you been drinking all night?" I asked seeing all the empty beer bottles as well as broken bottles all over the place. He said nothing again. "Can you stop drinking?" I asked seeing as how he had a new bottle in his hands. He was obviously still angry. "Stop drinking." I said reaching for the bottle in his hands, he didn't stop. I got up and just decided to clean. I went to the living room and was tidying things up when he came over and grabbed my wrists. "What are you doing? Just go back to that man you were with earlier. You have no place here." He said looking me in the eyes. "I said I was sorry. He needed me okay? I couldn't say no to him." I said to him. "And I don't need you? You obviously chose him over me. You can obviously say no to me. I cared so much about you to not let some random person win a date with you and yet you pushed me aside like I was nothing. Just en leave me alone and get the out of here. " He said angrily. Is he serious right now? "I can get you your money back." I said. "God Haeri, it's not about the money! I don't care about the money. What matters is you. I would've spent $1 million dollars if I had to. I came tonight because I didn't want to let some stranger take you out on a date. I wasn't going to let some man take you somewhere with him. I care about you and you only. But you obviously don't see it. I try so hard Haeri, I really do and it seems like you don't care at all!" He shouted throwing his half full beer bottle against the wall. Is he really shouting at me like this? These words he is saying, is he not thinking them through before saying them to me?

"I'm not the one who played you like you were a game!" It slipped out of my mouth and it wouldn't stop, it all came pouring out. "I'm not the one who made you fall in love with me and then in the end say it was all a lie, all a game! I loved you deeply and you cut my heart to pieces!!!! I don't care? I DON'T CARE!?!?!?! Do you hear what you are saying?! You en told me the day after I had given my all to you that I was all a game, all a lie. That you didn't love me and only did it, made me fall in love with you because your FIANCE told you to! And yet here I am, standing in front you! Here I am, being with you, acting as if nothing ever happened, as if you didn't do a thing to me, as if I wasn't played like a fool!!! I'm still a goddamn fool!! I've tried and cared much more than you have so don't you dare say I don't care, don't you dare say I don't try. I've dropped everything for you when quite honestly you don't deserve a thing from me! I don't even know why you don't even trust me, I'm not the one who has done one single thing wrong in our relationship, or whatever the hell it is we have. Do you want to know what it'd be like if I didn't care about you? If I didn't try for you? If I didn't still love you?!?! Because I can show you what it's really like. I'm not the one who ed up what we had...or whatever it meant to you." I said walking past him. He grabbed onto my wrist and pulled me around, I slapped him across the face. "I've given you more than I should have. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." I pulled my wrist away. "I did love you! I still love you. You were never a game!!!" He shouted. He grabbed me, pushed me against the wall and then punched the wall, hard. "What?!" I asked. "It was all a lie..." He said looking at me. "What was?!" I asked. "You were never a game...what we had was real, all of it."